Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

I got a Flat Tire in a Loaner from the Dealer - Can I Just Replace The Tire Myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 04:07 PM
ToYourGSE
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I got a Flat Tire in a Loaner from the Dealer - Can I Just Replace The Tire Myself?

I just got a flat tire in a loaner from my Lexus dealer (NX300 AWD) - I'll be in the loaner for another few days. Currently changed to the spare in the trunk. I'd have no problem paying for the cost of a new tire - but something tells me if I tell the dealer, they'll want to add on all these extra charges. The car has 4k miles. I can order the exact same tire and model and size off of tire rack for $224, it can be delivered by Tuesday, and I can have a shop install it, and that will be the end of that. Could I pull this off without them noticing? What would happen if they did? Generally speaking, if I were to tell them, would they bust my ***** or would they be reasonable about this? If only this happened to *my* car... *sigh*
Old 08-04-19, 05:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Generally speaking if you did not ABUSE the car (i.e., go off road or ran up the curb, etc.), then Lexus ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE should cover it.

Is the tire repairable? Just a nail puncture or a TOTAL BLOW OUT or someone slashed the tire?

If the tire is repairable, then LEXUS ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE should be able to fix it. To make sure, you may just want to call Lexus Road Side Assistance and ask if there is any charges (they may ask for the VIN number though. Use your judgement on WHICH Vin number to give them if you are just calling to "ask". If no charge, then say thank you and hang up. Wait a bit and call back and give the VIN number in question to get the tire repaired.)

Another option is to go to places like America's Ties or it's sister company, Discount Tires and they will fix FLATS for free. However, if the puncture is at the most outsides of the tire, they MAY NOT FIX IT. But sometimes they will "off the books". Other tire shops may do it "for a charge" like $20 bucks.

Good luck

Originally Posted by GSFDreamer
I just got a flat tire in a loaner from my Lexus dealer (NX300 AWD) - I'll be in the loaner for another few days. Currently changed to the spare in the trunk. I'd have no problem paying for the cost of a new tire - but something tells me if I tell the dealer, they'll want to add on all these extra charges. The car has 4k miles. I can order the exact same tire and model and size off of tire rack for $224, it can be delivered by Tuesday, and I can have a shop install it, and that will be the end of that. Could I pull this off without them noticing? What would happen if they did? Generally speaking, if I were to tell them, would they bust my ***** or would they be reasonable about this? If only this happened to *my* car... *sigh*
Old 08-04-19, 05:35 PM
ToYourGSE
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Generally speaking if you did not ABUSE the car (i.e., go off road or ran up the curb, etc.), then Lexus ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE should cover it.

Is the tire repairable? Just a nail puncture or a TOTAL BLOW OUT or someone slashed the tire?

If the tire is repairable, then LEXUS ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE should be able to fix it. To make sure, you may just want to call Lexus Road Side Assistance and ask if there is any charges (they may ask for the VIN number though. Use your judgement on WHICH Vin number to give them if you are just calling to "ask". If no charge, then say thank you and hang up. Wait a bit and call back and give the VIN number in question to get the tire repaired.)

Another option is to go to places like America's Ties or it's sister company, Discount Tires and they will fix FLATS for free. However, if the puncture is at the most outsides of the tire, they MAY NOT FIX IT. But sometimes they will "off the books". Other tire shops may do it "for a charge" like $20 bucks.

Good luck
Tire is completely shot and not repairable. Sidewall puncture
Old 08-06-19, 10:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Well, Houston, we have a problem.

Did you continue to drive with a flat tire?

IDK, it's a tough call on this one.

But if you truly DID NOT abuse the car (i.e., off road, hit the curb hard, and etc.), it should be covered by the Lexus dealership insurance or they will just get a new tire.....

It MAYBE just less headache if you replaced the tire on your own? But if anything else happens, then the Lexus dealership MAY point the finger at you for NOT TELLING THEM ABOUT IT.

If I were you, I would just tell them exactly what happened. If they ask you why you did not call for Lexus roadside assistance and such......well I was in a hurry and just put on the spare tire and GO.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by GSFDreamer
Tire is completely shot and not repairable. Sidewall puncture
Old 12-09-20, 01:42 AM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a used front and rear tires/wheel combo. Don’t air it. Problem solved. Lol