Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?
Lexus Dealer Only for ALL services!
33.43%
Lexus Dealer for MAJOR services, other shops for SMALL STUFF (oil changes/tire rotations/filters)
34.93%
Never take it to Lexus Dealers - my local shop does all the work.
25.37%
"If it ain't broke - don't fix it!!!" - I do minimal service work where ever I happen to stop...
6.27%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 10:21 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, the only time I give my car keys to others is for smog checks and tire replacements. Other than that, I don't trust anybody (including the dealers) working on my cars, so which choice do I pick? Looks to me like a bias poll.
Old 05-10-05, 06:09 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of my work is done by a local Toyota dealership. Recently I've started looking into smaller, private shops specializing in imports...
Old 05-18-05, 06:14 PM
BLAZIN03GS
Driver

the dealer is the best place
Old 05-18-05, 06:44 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Dash Rattle

I'm not too sure what to do with my dealer?

Took the RX 330 in again(3rd time) as the dash was terrible last week. Rattles like a truck. Of course today, not at all. But, had the appointment so took it in. Told them the only way we could get it to stop was for my passenger to push on the dash to make it stop.

After a whole day I get a call & they tell me they can not get it to make the noise. Of couse not, it sat in the warm sun all day. It only does it when it cool. They refuse to take it apart to check it out without hearing the noise. I ask the service guy if he thought I was lying? Why would I want them to take apart the dash otherwise. This sucks, what can I do?

They are keeping it overnight outside to see if they can get it to rattle & squick tomorrow AM. If it does not they won't do a darn thing. And if they won't this is the last Lexus ever.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT??

PS- They gave us a 330 loaner that is perfectly quite. Go figure.
Old 05-18-05, 08:44 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much. It's hard for dealer to fix a problem unless they can duplicate it. So be patient with your dealer and let the rattle speak for itself.
Old 05-19-05, 08:24 AM
ServiceGuy
Driver

I may be a little biased, since I am a Lexus service consultant here in Souther California, but I would not take my $45,000 car to the local shop for service. I have a Lexus and my wife has a Mercedes, and even with the Mercedes we take it to the MB dealer.

You can't pay for the peace of mind of knowing that the person working on your car is a Lexus Trained Tech vs. someone who works on everything from Mini's to HUMMERS.

Plus you get a 12 month - 12k mile warranty on any part that the dealer fixes/replaces. Try finding that guarantee at the local shop.
Old 05-19-05, 08:43 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ServiceGuy
I may be a little biased, since I am a Lexus service consultant here in Souther California, but I would not take my $45,000 car to the local shop for service.
I beg to differ. My old Lexus dealer in NY did such a lousy oil change job that I'd never take my Lexus back there again. I went back to my trustworthy mechanic at Amoco for oil change until I moved to Colorado.

Also what Lexus charges for oil change is outrageous. For that price they should throw in a Swedish massage while I wait.
Old 05-19-05, 08:54 AM
ServiceGuy
Driver

I must apologize for being a little unclear, oil changes and other simple maintenance items are fine, but for scheduled maint, I would definately go to a dealer.
Old 05-19-05, 11:15 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ServiceGuy
I must apologize for being a little unclear, oil changes and other simple maintenance items are fine, but for scheduled maint, I would definately go to a dealer.
Agreed Service, I would go to the dealer for items such as timing belt, water pump replacement & the like.
Old 05-22-05, 02:50 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xfirechief
If its a Lexus only the dealer is the place for repairs. Oil & filter changes are not what I consider repairs, it is maintaince work. If u can, change the oil yourself.
I do & put in Amsoil Synthetics & their filter.
With the ridicoulous prices lexus stealerships charge for minimal repairs I think theres a greater chance Youd see world peace happening rather then me stopping at a dealership. Maintenance happens in the driveway where I happen to currently reside in..... 600 dollars for a fuel pump that was a good one plus 4 hours of labor... haha! Then some of them cant even give you the part numbers... like it was some well guarded secret! currently with my nearest lexus dealership I have noting but contempt. Now the one that I used to go in Tucson they proved very helpful a couple of times, actually gave me advice of what was the best possible solutions for me the customer vs what is the best for them the dealership, Bell lexus on the other hand seemed totally opposite pushy rude money grabbing aholes!

I should put a list of all the part numbers in front of bell lexus dealership plus a list of places where you could find those same parts 40-60 percent cheaper then dealer prices.

This egr system Im doing myself.. would of cost me over a 1000 dollars to have them fix it for me. When my fuel pump failed I spent 95 dollars on a much beefier fuel pump (walbro lph 255) vs close to 1000 dollars for them to fix it! I just cannot comprehend how anyone could spend such ridicoulous sums of money when they really dont have too, mostly ignorance, laziness, to much money to spend that could much better be served going to a charity instead? I would only take a car to a dealership as long as I have warranty left after that no way jose! I saved countless thousands of dollars doing this stuff myself rather then being taken for a fool at a fancy toyota dealership. And now that I am discovering alternative sources for parts... I hope to completely rid the need for me going to the stealership again!

Sadly there is no poll option for diy in this thread. 4th option is worded poorly.
Old 05-23-05, 08:26 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Inabj2
With the ridicoulous prices lexus stealerships charge for minimal repairs I think theres a greater chance Youd see world peace happening rather then me stopping at a dealership. Maintenance happens in the driveway where I happen to currently reside in..... 600 dollars for a fuel pump that was a good one plus 4 hours of labor... haha! Then some of them cant even give you the part numbers... like it was some well guarded secret! currently with my nearest lexus dealership I have noting but contempt. Now the one that I used to go in Tucson they proved very helpful a couple of times, actually gave me advice of what was the best possible solutions for me the customer vs what is the best for them the dealership, Bell lexus on the other hand seemed totally opposite pushy rude money grabbing aholes!

I should put a list of all the part numbers in front of bell lexus dealership plus a list of places where you could find those same parts 40-60 percent cheaper then dealer prices.

This egr system Im doing myself.. would of cost me over a 1000 dollars to have them fix it for me. When my fuel pump failed I spent 95 dollars on a much beefier fuel pump (walbro lph 255) vs close to 1000 dollars for them to fix it! I just cannot comprehend how anyone could spend such ridicoulous sums of money when they really dont have too, mostly ignorance, laziness, to much money to spend that could much better be served going to a charity instead? I would only take a car to a dealership as long as I have warranty left after that no way jose! I saved countless thousands of dollars doing this stuff myself rather then being taken for a fool at a fancy toyota dealership. And now that I am discovering alternative sources for parts... I hope to completely rid the need for me going to the stealership again!

Sadly there is no poll option for diy in this thread. 4th option is worded poorly.
I think most members would agree with you. Sounds like you have a older high mileage vehicle that requires more then fluid changes and is not covered under warranty. If it is a new vehicle, I enjoy the Lexus service for warranty work and fluid/filter changes. It costs a little more but it's in the system, it comes with either a loaner car and you feel like you are being taken care of. That is part of the Lexus experience. Now when it is no longer under warranty and you are paying for everything, then I take it too my independant garage owner and save money.
Old 05-23-05, 09:42 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing wrong with using lexus while you are still under warranty for basic services so you can feel "taken care of" as long as you realize the true cost of being taken care of. It is pretty steep. Most basic services and even brake jobs,etc don't require a loaner. So in most cases the cost of a rental is not a valid point. When you leave your car for the day at Lexus for service it spends most of the time sitting there and very little service time. Competive shops can get you in and out so you are only waiting for true service time. Most likely less time than it takes to return with the loaner.
Old 05-23-05, 05:40 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikey00
There is nothing wrong with using lexus while you are still under warranty for basic services so you can feel "taken care of" as long as you realize the true cost of being taken care of. It is pretty steep. Most basic services and even brake jobs,etc don't require a loaner. So in most cases the cost of a rental is not a valid point. When you leave your car for the day at Lexus for service it spends most of the time sitting there and very little service time. Competive shops can get you in and out so you are only waiting for true service time. Most likely less time than it takes to return with the loaner.
The idea behind the Lexus brand, you bought a Lexus GX470 and you make big bucks and you want super service. It costs you money to sit and wait for your GX to be serviced. You drive in and they give you a loaner (new Lexus full of gas) and you drive off to save the world. You come back later in the day and pickup your GX that has been serviced washed and the interior cleaned. You are treated like the world class person you know you are and it costs you less since you aren't wasting your valueable time sitting in the waiting room at your local mechanic's or the local Toyota dealership. Otherwise you would buy the same vehicle from Toyota (its called a 4runner) and you would sit around and wait for your vehicle to be serviced. I hope that clears everything up for you
Old 05-23-05, 07:00 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
The idea behind the Lexus brand, you bought a Lexus GX470 and you make big bucks and you want super service. It costs you money to sit and wait for your GX to be serviced. You drive in and they give you a loaner (new Lexus full of gas) and you drive off to save the world. You come back later in the day and pickup your GX that has been serviced washed and the interior cleaned. You are treated like the world class person you know you are and it costs you less since you aren't wasting your valueable time sitting in the waiting room at your local mechanic's or the local Toyota dealership. Otherwise you would buy the same vehicle from Toyota (its called a 4runner) and you would sit around and wait for your vehicle to be serviced. I hope that clears everything up for you
You hit the nail right on the head Pitbull.

Most of the Lexus owners doesn't have time to sit around and wait. Time is leisure, valuable and leisure for them. Some of the Lexus dealership offered the pick up and drop off, which mean they pick up your car and drop off the loaner for you, so you don't have to leave the house or office. Those services can be as simple as oil change and the distance is within the limit from the dealer.
Old 05-25-05, 06:37 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

The other side of this servicing question is the smart people that buy used (pre-owned ) Lexus because they are the "BEST" vehicles made and they know quality. They are the millionare next door and never like to waste their money on over priced dealer service and either do it themselves or have a local skilled mechanic care for their pride and joy.

Quick Reply: Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?