Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Help! Info on parking brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 03:04 PM
silver01gs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Info on parking brake adjustment

Hello,

I am new to the CL scene. Anyone out there know how to adjust the parking/emergency brake on a 2001 GS430? Right now, when the car is put in "P" park, and the parking brake is engaged, it does not hold the car in position. So, it moves to the next transmission stops, making it hard to shift out of "P" park.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
Old 08-20-03, 03:17 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean when you park the car uphill, correct?. The adjuster for the parking brake is inside the rear rotors. You have to remove the rear wheels and you will see the rubber plugs. Spin the rotors until the rubber plug is point toward the ground. Then, remove the rubber plug with flat head screw driver, use the flash light shine into the hole while slowly turn the rotor by hand until you see the adjusting wheel(look like star or gear). Then insert the screw driver inside the hole and turn the star/gear upward until you can't rotate the rotor by hand anymore. Next, adjust it down about 3-4 click and rotate the rotor and make sure the rotor spin freely. Don't adjust it too tight either, it will lock up the rear brake when the rotor get hot.
Easiest way, go to Lexus dealer when you're due for the service and ask them to adjust the e-brake.
Old 08-20-03, 03:44 PM
silver01gs
Rookie

Default e-brake adjustment

Thanks for the information. It happens when the car is on uneven ground (downhill or uphill).

Do I set the e-brake engaged or released when I do the e-brake adjustment???

I know if would be easier having the Lexus dealer do it, but last week when I had my battery replaced, they tracked grease all over the back seat/carpet and put some scratches on the right front fender. Also, they put a small scratch inside the rear LEATHER seat while replacing the third light lamp!

So, this time, I'll do it myself if I can. Thanks again for your help!!!

Bruce
Old 08-20-03, 06:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should bring those sort of misfortunes to the service manger's attention immediately upon discovery. They may not know it happened and won't be able to rectify the situation if they are not made aware of it. They can clean the carpets, repair the leather and remove the scratches. You probably will get a discount on your next few services too.

damage can't be fixed if they don't know about it. Take it back to them and complain, if it was recent.
If it was a while ago, then they will say too much time has transpired since the date of occurance, and I don't blame them for that.

steviej
Old 08-20-03, 08:58 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

what dealer was this?
Old 08-21-03, 12:49 AM
silver01gs
Rookie

Default Lexus of Fife

When I received my vehicle, I told one of the service desk guy, not sure what you call them. He came out with a can of carpet cleaner and Lexol leather cleaner. Took care of the problem and he told me he would tell the service manager. I didn't realize the scratches until I washed my car on Sunday. I will stop by and tell them tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bruce