Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

passenger door handle wont open door

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 09:49 PM
qmtran
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger door handle wont open door

hey guys.....i need some help here from some experts. my passenger door handle from the outside wont open the door. so i took apart the door panels and i found that there is a rod that is hanging by itself w/ a little white plastic piece at the end. from what i can tell, the piece is connected to the latch but not the handle itself. i tried to force it back to the handle, because there was a hole, so i thought i might of went there, but everytime i try, it seems as if i am short about an inch or two. is there another piece that is missing or am i suppose to bend it till it fits???
Old 09-03-03, 03:40 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The rod is only one piece that connected from door actuator to the door handle. You will need the little white plactic piece to hold the rod in place. It might be bend from the window hitting the rod.
Old 09-06-03, 12:16 PM
93SC4_Mike
Driver School Candidate

I just fixed the same problem this morning. Your rod may be bent a little, especially if the window had been rolled down. In this case the window may only go down about 1/2 way before getting caught on the rod. Try using a little force and bend the rod back, but don't break it or you will have to buy a whole new latching mechanism.

Your old plastic connector is probably broken, that's why the rod came out of the door handle. It costs about $4. The dealer should have it in stock. I suggest you go ahead and buy one for the drivers side door. The plastic connectors are unique for each door.

You will notice that the metal rod fits into the round end of the plastic connector, and the other end of the plastic connector snaps around the vertical portion of the rod. Here's the trick to getting it back together. First you push the round end of the plastic connector into the door handle. Next you push the rod into the door handle. Finally, keeping both the metal rod and plastic connector into the door handle, you rotate the plastic connector so that it snaps onto the vertical portion of the rod. Now everthing is locked in and the door handle should work.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-03, 02:26 PM
qmtran
Driver

thanks alot for the detailed info mike. helps alot.