Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rear view mirror fell off windshield and took a chunk of glass with it

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 05:48 AM
Mcgray91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror fell off windshield and took a chunk of glass with it

Hey I'll try to keep this short and simple. Was driving y(es 350 2007) and noticed that my rear view mirror was pointed downward and went to adjust it. It immediately snapped off, turns out it wasn't angled low it was drooping off. Now the thing is when it came off the windshield it actually looks like it took a small chunk of the windshield with it.

Windshield with grooves of missing glass

Glass stuck to the rearview mounting plate

I need to know if this has put the windshield at any type of risk and if I should replace it? Also does anyone have any experience with insurance replacing this type of thing. Of at the end of the day it seems fine I guess I'll run out and grab a mounting kit and do it myself.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-20, 08:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

This had happened to me on a Lexus car I had a couple of years ago.

I went to an auto glass locally (a reputable mom and pop type. Not the nationwide one you see ads on TV). The guy looked at it and said it did not totally penetrate a hole through and through and the damage is very minor. He said he will be happy to sell me either an OEM or an aftermarket windshield replacement, but not necessary. He recommended to go to an auto parts store and buy a adhesive kit specifically for the rear view mirror. OR a good adhesive like a JB Weld adhesive. See pictures. It says ok for use in rear view mirror repair. It costs around $3.xx and change.

One thing though.......it you try to put the "mounting plate" back into the same "hole" on the same spot on the windshield......you will not be very successful. I elected to position it just to the "side" of it (I don't remember left or right bc it was some two years+ ago). Just have someone else sitting in the passenger side positioning the mirror with the mounting plate for a mock trial to make sure you can still see what you normally would from your driving position. Then mark the edges with masking tape.

You need a special "hex bit driver?" (I don't remember exactly which except I had an assortment in my tool box and one of them fit like a glove to unscrew to get the mounting plate off the entire rear view mirror assembly. Keep a mental note which end of the mounting plate is "UP". Also try to mount it at the same distance (or maybe just a tad lower from the top) from the top of the windshield otherwise you will not have enough room to slide the entire assembly back in.

I wore nitrile gloves when I did this bc if not......that adhesive is a bear to clean off your fingers and hands.

Also before applying the JB Weld adhesive....... Clean the windshield area with alcohol and let dry. Scrap off the glass stuck on the mounting plate and use a coarse grade sand paper or wired brush to clean the mounting surface on the mounting plate. Then clean with alcohol wipes and let dry.

Now you are ready to apply the JB Weld adhesive. Just a few drops on the mounting plate will do. I also put a couple of very small drops on the windshield where the mounting plate will go. Then I carefully match the mounting plate to the tape and marked location on the windshield (like a two sides at 90 degrees so I know to put it "inside the 90 degree corner). Only use a slight pressure and press in and it should stay in place. If it starts to slide down, then you had put too much adhesive. Use your gloves finger and wipe off excess. Do not use any paper towels or any cloth towel directly on the mounting areas bc you will leave fibers and reduce its adhesion. Also you might want to wait about a few minutes and touch the mounting plate surface and see if it's getting more sticky with the gloves finger. Then mount the plate carefully. Now wipe of any excessive adhesive and watch to make sure it is still in the right place and make sure it's not sliding. Some people would also tape the plate during the drying process and then remove after it's done, but I did not. Leave it overnight to dry completely.

Put the rest of the rear view mirror assembly back on carefully. Adjust the mirror and all good to go.

I took a permanent black magic marker and colored in the damaged hole in the windshield so that it's not that obvious anymore. I know some will say that's ghetto 😂 or whatever. But it worked for me.

Originally Posted by Mcgray91
Hey I'll try to keep this short and simple. Was driving y(es 350 2007) and noticed that my rear view mirror was pointed downward and went to adjust it. It immediately snapped off, turns out it wasn't angled low it was drooping off. Now the thing is when it came off the windshield it actually looks like it took a small chunk of the windshield with it.

Windshield with grooves of missing glass

Glass stuck to the rearview mounting plate

I need to know if this has put the windshield at any type of risk and if I should replace it? Also does anyone have any experience with insurance replacing this type of thing. Of at the end of the day it seems fine I guess I'll run out and grab a mounting kit and do it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-18-20 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RA40 (05-18-20)