Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Battery Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 03:51 PM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Replacement...

I own a 1999 SC400, and this summer’s 115-degree temperature in Las Vegas has taken its toll on my battery. Lexus quoted me $95 for a replacement.
I have 2 questions;
(1) Is there a better after market battery I should consider?
(2) Is it as simple as disconnect and reconnect or is there something else I should be aware of?

Before I get booted for a battery question, I did a search first, and did not find a recent answer to these two questions.
Old 09-09-03, 05:28 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

1) A better alternative is going with a dry-cell such as an optima. It will cost you more than what Lexus is charging you for a dealer battery, but you will get a longer lasting, more reliable and stronger battery. I dont see any difference between going with a Lexus factory battery vs one purchased from your local autoparts store.
2) No matter which type of battery you get, its a simple disconnect/reconnect. Just remember to take down the time and the radio station presets.
Old 09-09-03, 07:40 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

oh on the optima you will have to adjust the cables to fit the terminals..because the stock ones have terminals near the ends of the battery the optima has them loacted closer to the center...it shouldnt be that hard to adjust them but i thought i would let you know....

CEO
Old 09-10-03, 09:27 AM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time to share this info!
Old 09-10-03, 01:05 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's not a bad price for the stock battery. You will probably not want to go as low-brow as I did, but you can get away with a Walmart Everstart 24F, which cost me $29.95 (w/a 3 year warranty).

It's smaller/lighter than the stock battery, and so the stock battery cover will look oversized if you want to keep using it. It didn't look right, so I didn't use the cover. Other than that it fits, looks and works just fine.

EDIT/Update: Five years later, what a bargain that EverStart battery was- it lasted almost exactly 5 years - same as the warranty (not 3 years, as I said above).

It was still working, but would not hold a charge over a weekend, so back to WalMart I went to replace it.

What a difference five years makes - what the hell has happened to battery prices?
The WalMart MAXX-24FS that I just bought to replace my EverStart cost me $80!
The only consolation is that the WalMart MAXX line has a 10 year warranty.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-13-08 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-10-03, 01:20 PM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm going to stick with Lexus.

I was tempted to get a cheaper battery however, your right, $95 from Lexus is not really that bad. Besides, if I have any problems with it, nothing beats the service I receive when I drive into the Lexus service drive. It's sometimes worth a few extra bucks.

Last edited by extremecc; 09-10-03 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 02:23 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
That's not a bad price for the stock battery. You will probably not want to go as low-brow as I did, but you can get away with a Walmart Everstart 24F, which cost me $29.95 (w/a 3 year warranty).

It's smaller/lighter than the stock battery, and so the stock battery cover will look oversized if you want to keep using it. It didn't look right, so I didn't use the cover. Other than that it fits, looks and works just fine.
I thought 24F specified a certain size and terminal configuration? Yours sounds more like the type 35 replacement battery a few of the local auto parts stores offered me, since they didn't carry 24F.

The only place I could find a 24F locally was at Sears, and it ended up costing $110 for their DieHard International 24F battery. It was the same size as the Lexus-branded 24F battery it replaced. Lexus batteries are made by Interstate, and DieHard I believe are currently made by Johnson Controls. In retrospect, I would've just gone with a readily-available 35 for $30 or so. The smaller 35s don't have the recommended CCA for my LS, but it doesn't get cold enough for that to matter here in southern California.
Old 09-11-03, 08:11 AM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery installed...

I went to Lexus last night and picked up the replacement battery. Funny thing was, when they brought the battery out they told me they made a mistake, the 99 SC400 battery is $135. I did a little complaining and they gave it to me for $95 with a 2-year over the counter and 84 month prorated warrantee. It took me 5 minutes to swap it out. I too do not have cold weather cranking to worry about.
Old 09-11-03, 11:03 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

kreativ- I went outside to double check and its says "EverStart Part #24F-5". I was wrong about the warranty- it's free replacement for 12 months, then pro-rated up to 60 months (5 years).

I bought it after reading whitels' recommendation in the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=44884

At 650 CA and 525 CCA, those that spend their winters in Minnesota probably shouldn't use it but you're right- it does not matter much here in So Cal.

extremecc- I'm glad you didn't fall for the stealership's bait & switch- good going!
Old 09-12-03, 09:15 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Battery installed...

Originally posted by extremecc
I went to Lexus last night and picked up the replacement battery. Funny thing was, when they brought the battery out they told me they made a mistake, the 99 SC400 battery is $135. I did a little complaining and they gave it to me for $95 with a 2-year over the counter and 84 month prorated warrantee. It took me 5 minutes to swap it out. I too do not have cold weather cranking to worry about.
You did good!!! Now just remember to rub a little vaseline on the posts and you'll never see any corrosion.

Last edited by gebo; 09-12-03 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 07:59 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"vaseline" ???? Good Idea!
Old 09-16-03, 02:28 PM
gebo
Advanced

Originally posted by chuckisc
"vaseline" ???? Good Idea!
No, it's a GREAT idea. It's not an original but it is nice and clean and cheap and it works.
Old 09-16-03, 03:25 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

c'mon, fellers.....it may be cheap, it may be nice, and it may work, but is it really "clean"?

For all it is doing for you, you may as well schmear on some axle grease (yet another type of petroleum jelly).

I'm not saying that Vaseline won't work- just keep a rag handy. Personally, I've had good luck with those red and green felt washers that they sell at auto parts stores for 75 cents or so.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 09-16-03 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 05:16 PM
gebo
Advanced

Ha!

Perry in LA,
Vaseline is a lot "cleaner" than axle grease. I rub vaseline on chapped lips and cracked hands and feet. I can't say I would really want to do that with axle grease. The kind of petroleum jelly I use is basically clear and all the axle grease I've seen is sort of brown and nasty looking. Were you trying to prove my point? THanks anyway!

WHat's cool is how once the battery posts get heated up, the vaseline will flow into all the little nooks and crannies. Now don't be a knucklehead and put a tablespoon on each terminal. Just a little dab will do ya. I do this to my lawnmower, motorcycle, and all cars. I KNOW it works.

Of course, if you feel better about the little fuzzy washer...

Last edited by gebo; 09-16-03 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 06:32 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

haha....now, now, Gebo- notice I didn't say that Vaseline doesn't work, and in fact, maybe the best fix is to use BOTH. That way, when your Vaseline starts a-flowing, my fuzzies will keep it from dripping all over extremecc's nice new battery!

(And, if you got cracks in your feet, you don't need Vaseline, you need Desenex. Use it for 30 days straight- your locker room buddies will thank you )

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 09-17-03 at 08:35 AM.