Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03 | 11:28 PM
stocksc3
Driver School Candidate

Default maintenance

i'm not sure if i should post this under the maintenance or this place cause the questions are targeted toward a sc300

hello everyone, i have just registered at this forum, and have recently bought a 1995 lexus sc300, i love it, i bought my lexus sc3 with 107k miles on it, and now it has 108k, i have now settled down and have time to pay more attention to the lex.. the carfax came out clean, but those are not always 100% reliable, i was just wondering what all is the regular maintenance stuff i should do.

so far i know i need a new air filter due to the stock one morphing from white to onyx black, what is the best replacement filter out there.. my car has trouble starting up sometimes, it always takes 2 cranks to get it going so i checked my spark plugs and wiring but they don't seem rusted or coroted, any ideas on what else it can be (i hope its not the starter)

p.s. i am a college student who is usually always broke, i used to drive a trans am which my brother now drives so i'm kinda of a speed fiend, but with this car if you dont' have a turbo you really can't compete with the big dogs so i plan on keeping it stock for a couple of yrs, after i graduate or when i'm a senior then the heavy modding will start, but i know if i start modding it now then i will starve myself trying to save every penny for a turbo or a swap, but anything that can help the gas mileage or reliabilty will be done

wwwooohoooo i'm a lexus owner
Old 09-11-03 | 06:41 AM
tarq3
Driver

Ok with the Air Filter you are more than likely going to want a K&N. As for maintence stuff. You might want to go with the 100K service if it has not been done. You want to get timing belt and water pump replaced along with a full tune-up. Thats the basics. It will cost ya. Lex dealer about $1400. Toyota dealer about $1000, Some independant $600-$1000
Old 09-11-03 | 09:10 AM
mtsao
Driver

I'm a new owner too--welcome to the club!! I've also come to realize from the posts here that it will cost me to go to Lexus for service, but I've not yet had to go...

As for your starting problem, what I can say is that it definitely doesn't sound like you have a problem with the starter...if you did, you would not be able to crank and you're likely to only hear the dreaded 'click' when you turn the key. Engines aren't my strong point, but I do know that you must have fuel and spark for the engine to turn over. Checking the plugs and wires are a good place to start. Over time, wires do need to be replaced and you would need a multimeter to test the resistance of the wires (I'm sorry, I don't know the specs of the top of my head). Also visually inspect for tears or cracks in the insulation of the wires. Check the business ends of the spark plugs. They should not be black/sooty or moist and all plugs should be in the same condition. Could be your fuel pump is acting up and not sending fuel to the injectors. When you turn the key to the Accessories position just short of cranking, your fuel pump should prime the system and you should be able to hear a 'whirring' sound, assuming you turn off blower and radio. This is also assuming that you pause for a second or so before turning the key farther to crank. Try and listen for it the next time you start you car, and try to remember if you heard it the times when you have difficulty starting the car.

I think a tuneup would not be a bad idea...sorry I'm not more help.

Mike