Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Have you had your transmission flushed or drained?
YES
51.41%
NO
15.09%
NO, but I plan on getting it done
33.50%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Flush/Change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 04:47 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a drain and refill 2x per SeattleGS400 instructions (thanks) - easy to do. When I went to the local Toyota dealership (Rockingham Toyota, Salem NH,) they said their price for a full flush and filter was $169.95. Doesn't seem too bad a price. My 98 GS400 has 205k miles and I bought it with 156k. The fluid was close to black, so obviously needed at least a drain and refill, let alone a flush. I haven't had any problems to date, but I hope to get 300k+ out of the car. At the same time, I also did an incremental change on the Power Steering fluid (with Dextron III).
Old 03-14-06, 02:29 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Filter And Gasket

I bought toyota type 4 and i have been going around looking for the gasket and filter. No one seems to have it.

I have not yet gone to lexus dealers because they are out of my way. I will go but question

Is it nessesary to change the filter or can it just be cleaned.?

is a new gasket needed or can you use a gasket maker silicone or something like that.?

I am dropping the pan because I know a lot or residue settles on the bottom and the magets also pick up a lot of metal. I would like to clean all of that.

Then I will just tip it once a month with some new toyota type 4 fluid. to keep it nice and red.
Old 03-19-06, 05:54 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Eyeball with a flashlight the screen in the transmission, if there is buildup, remove and clean it in a solvent. Dry it throughly. Otherwise, don't disturb it.

If you drop the pan, you'll need the new pan gasket. Don't use any silicone or gasket sealer. It may migrate inside the pan to the fluid and cause problems with clogging the small passages in the valving assembly. The new pan gasket is impregnated with sealant..

Use care when tightening the pan bolts, as the transmission case is aluminum. Wipe clean any fluid from the sealing surfaces and bolt holes...... I would place a small drop of "Locktite Blue" sealant to each bolt prior to replacing the bolts. Tighten them evenly beyond finger tight to 5-8 Ft Lb...(7mm bolts) Too tight may warp the pan...
Old 03-19-06, 11:56 AM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Just had mine flushed a couple of days ago, cost me $90. My fluid was kinda black and burnt and I don't think the pan had ever been dropped (55K). I can't really feel much difference,mine always shifted just fine, but I just wanted to have it done anyway for preventative maintenance since I am not the original owner. The mechanic told me that dropping the pan yields 4.5 quarts of fluid, instead of just the 2 to 2.5 quarts when removing the drain plug alone.
Old 03-21-06, 08:57 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tammy
If you drop the pan, you'll need the new pan gasket. Don't use any silicone or gasket sealer. It may migrate inside the pan to the fluid and cause problems with clogging the small passages in the valving assembly. The new pan gasket is impregnated with sealant..
thanks. but in reguards to the gasket, i hear that they did not come with a gasket. I looked underneath and yep it is silicone. I hear what you are saying about the silicone migrating to the inside of the pan. It makes a lot of sense.

but has anyone just put the silicone and have had any problems. I have checked many local shops and no one has the filter or gasked they claim there is nothing for that car. i know its bull *****. The other problem is that the lexus dealers are kind of far from me. So before i go out there ill like to make shure its worth the ride or its unessesary.

thanks
Old 03-21-06, 12:04 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

The pan is very hard to remove due to the silicone they previously put on it.

I dont want to damage the pan, should i go on or just change the fluid a few times once a week??
Old 03-21-06, 02:23 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
The pan is very hard to remove due to the silicone they previously put on it.

I dont want to damage the pan, should i go on or just change the fluid a few times once a week??
I have removed transmission pans a few times (not on Lexus) and have never found anything worth cleaning in there. I no longer see any reason to change the metal screen filter or remove the pan. If you are concerned, you could just drain and refill what you can every every other oil change and that's more than the factory ever expected the owners to do. My transmission dipstick (GS300) actually has a label on it that says "no fluid change required".

If you feel like doing more than that, flushing the entire contents may be the way to go. You can do that yourself, but you should read up on the procedure elsewhere on this web site.

Most drain bolts on transmissions have a magnet. The collection on the magnet is probably all the loose metal in the entire transmission.
Old 03-21-06, 03:00 PM
papachino
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nomis
I had a fairly pronounced TCC shudder that occured on torque converter lockup around 38-42mph. I had the dealer power flush the trans with the BG machine and the TCC shudder only occurs rarely now. The flush was done at 106K.
What is TCC shutter, and can you explain your symptoms more please?
Old 04-27-06, 03:44 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by papachino
What is TCC shutter, and can you explain your symptoms more please?
TCC shutter is a type of vibration that happened around 38-45 mph. You can feel the shutter from the floor or from the shifter itself. It's weird vibration, but easy fix. You just have your transmission completely flush with 14 quarts of fluid. I only see this problem on the 1st gen LS and older SC400.
Old 05-16-06, 02:46 AM
ridox
Driver

im using...redline MT-90 75W90 for my transmission and redline 75w90 gear oil for the differential. oh and btw this is for a 5speed sc300.
Old 06-01-06, 09:13 AM
kosoku
Driver School Candidate

Wink

I was a Lexus technician for a few years and I can tell you form experience that very rarely would the pan need to come off and the filter cleaned/replaced. In fact, I've NEVER seen it have to be done and this is my job!

Depending which vehicle you own and what year also determines the correct mileage to flush and fill the tranny. For example, some LS, GX use WS (world standard) and does not need to be flushed until 100k. Most other vehicles we recommend every 30-40.

While I cannot speak on behalf of those who claim to "feel a difference" chances are you probably won't (unless the fluid before was burnt and WAY past due).
Old 06-02-06, 07:42 AM
thkim
Driver School Candidate

Smile Amsoil Recommended not approved for T-IV

If you plan on changing the atf, note that Amsoil ATF is "recommended" vs. "approved". Meaning that they didn't go through the testing protocol. It's not possible to pass Honda Z1, Toyota T-IV, and Mercon V as these are conflicting specs. The only oil other than Toyota that has T-IV approved is Mobil ATF 3309.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_ATF_3309.asp

It might be difficult to find the product at your local Autozone. Log onto ExxonMobil's website under lubricants and find a distributor in your area.
Old 06-05-06, 11:09 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kosoku
I was a Lexus technician for a few years and I can tell you form experience that very rarely would the pan need to come off and the filter cleaned/replaced. In fact, I've NEVER seen it have to be done and this is my job!

Depending which vehicle you own and what year also determines the correct mileage to flush and fill the tranny. For example, some LS, GX use WS (world standard) and does not need to be flushed until 100k. Most other vehicles we recommend every 30-40.

While I cannot speak on behalf of those who claim to "feel a difference" chances are you probably won't (unless the fluid before was burnt and WAY past due).
I just dropped the tranny pan on my RX300 at a little over 68K, here is what I found out.
ATF is dirty, not cherry red, less than 15K since last drain and fill with Toyota T-IV

Cleaned magnets vs dirty one. Take a wild guess on what is floating on the ATF in the pan?

Do you want this out of your tranny or stay in?

I have a photo DIY in RX300 that has more pictures.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220061
Old 06-17-06, 07:22 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kosoku

forgot to mention is250, is350, 06 gs 300, 06gs 430, es350 not sure about the rx350 more than likly its going to be ws. i wouldnt know till i check the manual
Old 06-17-06, 09:18 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
forgot to mention is250, is350, 06 gs 300, 06gs 430, es350 not sure about the rx350 more than likly its going to be ws. i wouldnt know till i check the manual
I believe CVT are in strictly in hybrid GS450h, RX400h, LS460h only, at least for now. I would expect RX350 to continue to use the traditional auto gearbox and continue the legacy hestitation problem

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush/Change?