Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Have you had your transmission flushed or drained?
YES
51.41%
NO
15.09%
NO, but I plan on getting it done
33.50%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Flush/Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 12:03 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 02RX and 99ES. I'm sticking to a flush schedule every 20-22.5K interval. I don't do the maintenance myself.

Instead, the local Sunoco performs the fluid exchange competently for charge of $89 (+$30 upcharge for Type-IV fluid). Toyota dealer charges around $170 for the same service
Old 08-27-07, 07:14 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it still okay to mix a type IV compatible fluid, like pennzoil multi-vehicle atf, with amsoil?
Old 08-29-07, 05:36 PM
jlaplante
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a '95 ES300 w/ 112K miles. The car is in immaculate shape, prev owner babied it.

I had the trans flushed immediately, prior to discovering this forum - oops!. Probably cheap ATF in there.

I detect rough shifts now and then (not sure if they were already there).

Recommendations anyone?
Old 08-30-07, 02:19 PM
p3lon
Driver School Candidate

i bought a 94 sc400 and did a flush. the car has over 250,000 miles but still runs strong. i got it for cheap. i love my car. better than a new.
Old 09-29-07, 12:23 PM
mbibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Problem?

I have a 2000 model ES300 with 124,000 miles. While having my oil changed, the dealer told me that my transmission fluid was really black and needed changing. I told him I would be back in a couple of weeks to have it done. Later that night, I was driving on the freeway when my tach went up to 4000and I had no drive power (all gears were like neutral). I had it towed back to the dealer. The next morning he drove it around the parking lot with no problems. My question: can the fluid be so burnt up that it fails after driving for about an hour? He is recommending a full flush but does not know if that will fix my problem. Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-07, 03:52 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mbibbs
I have a 2000 model ES300 with 124,000 miles. While having my oil changed, the dealer told me that my transmission fluid was really black and needed changing. I told him I would be back in a couple of weeks to have it done. Later that night, I was driving on the freeway when my tach went up to 4000and I had no drive power (all gears were like neutral). I had it towed back to the dealer. The next morning he drove it around the parking lot with no problems. My question: can the fluid be so burnt up that it fails after driving for about an hour? He is recommending a full flush but does not know if that will fix my problem. Any suggestions?
I think at this point is too late to do the flush. Even if you decide to do the flush the day the dealer recommend you to do the flush it still too late.
Old 10-01-07, 08:46 AM
mbibbs
Driver School Candidate

Just got the bad news...the transmission is toast. It sure seems like a coincidence that I had experienced no problems with the transmission, and the day the dealer recommends a flush, I break down on the freeway. Maybe he is a prophet.
Old 10-03-07, 01:01 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbibbs
Just got the bad news...the transmission is toast. It sure seems like a coincidence that I had experienced no problems with the transmission, and the day the dealer recommends a flush, I break down on the freeway. Maybe he is a prophet.
wow. that seems a little too convenient for the shop.

lucky for me that the manager of the shop i get parts from is my old friend from way back. so i get to use their machine for free. i just bring in the oil
Old 12-04-07, 06:59 AM
dl5
Driver

I just got my tranny flushed yesterday with amsoil synthetic UTF. man does my car (99 gs300) feel soooo silky smooth. I've never loved my car as much as I do now. I got the car back in august with 71k miles, now she has 73k miles and i've been wanting to do a tranny fluid change since day one.

when i got it to my friend's shop, he told me had to do it the old fashioned way, where you let the car's own tranny suck in the new fluid while the return line is disconnected to drain out the old fluid. that's exactly what i wanted so i was very happy to hear this because this is what bananags and many of yall recommend doing anyways =). the t-tech machine never got near my car =) woot!

anyways, when the drain bolt was removed, a nasty burnt brown fluid came out, my jaw dropped, i couldn't believe how bad it was. long story short, they lowered my car a bit from the lift, flushed her with 14qts of amsoil, buttoned her up, and filled her to spec.

She shifts sooo amazingly smooth now i can't believe how much of a difference that made. I no longer get a jerk from when the gears were going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 when i drive a bit aggressively.

I'm sorry i'm writting this really quick, but just wanted to let you guys in on my experience. No leaks as of this morning, and my revs feel a lot freer when i'm driving, overall, this was the best thing yet for my car. it may be in my head but my car accelerates a wee bit quicker now, she doesn't feel so heavy!

if any one has questions please ask and i'll try to be a bit more clear!

Last edited by dl5; 12-04-07 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 09:41 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

I drain mine every other time I change my oil. My tranny used to get hot and shift rough, it's getting a lot better now though. Type IV all the way.

My dad took his toyota cressida in to Oil Can Henry's (express oil/fluid service) and got a full flush there and now his car jerks more than ever. Use OEM fluids...the car will be happier and so will you.
Old 01-10-08, 07:50 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine is ES 2000 with 90K miles on it. I have been draining and re-filling transmission fluid at every 30K intervals. At 90K service, I had power flush done on tranny (by Toyota) and I have put another 3K miles on it. I could feel my car transmission is so smooth especially from stop sign to pick-up or higway merger. Earlier, eventhough it was smoother, used to give me little hesitation and a little feeling on gear shift. But, now I don't feel either. I feel happy about that power flush.
Old 01-10-08, 06:14 PM
98supra6sp
Driver

Default All FLUSHED OUT

Last night a friend and I flushed the tranny, power steering, and differential with AMSOIL synthetic ATF and also the AMSOIL Synthetic 75/90W Gear Lube for the Differential. I have not driven the car yet since I have been taking it apart getting ready for a complete re-spray. We also replaced the thermostat, rubber gasket, and flushed the radiator and cooling system with Toyota red antifreeze. I used Castrol Synthetic brake fluid when I flushed the brake system. Last but not least we did a Serpentine belt and Toyota did my timing belt last week. I am still debating going Synthetic for the OIL though. I will probably use the Royal Purple or Mobil ONE that I recently purchased for my Supra. Wish me luck with the paint job.
Old 01-23-08, 04:48 PM
ponytail 4
Driver

Has anyone put Lucas products either in the oil or tranny?
Old 01-24-08, 09:06 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ponytail 4
Has anyone put Lucas products either in the oil or tranny?
Nope, just Amsoil products for the engine, tranny & PS fluid.
Old 01-24-08, 09:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 98supra6sp
Last night a friend and I flushed the tranny, power steering, and differential with AMSOIL synthetic ATF and also the AMSOIL Synthetic 75/90W Gear Lube for the Differential. I have not driven the car yet since I have been taking it apart getting ready for a complete re-spray. We also replaced the thermostat, rubber gasket, and flushed the radiator and cooling system with Toyota red antifreeze. I used Castrol Synthetic brake fluid when I flushed the brake system. Last but not least we did a Serpentine belt and Toyota did my timing belt last week. I am still debating going Synthetic for the OIL though. I will probably use the Royal Purple or Mobil ONE that I recently purchased for my Supra. Wish me luck with the paint job.
Why not go for Amsoil for your synthetic oil?

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush/Change?