Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Anyone Used the Oil Extractor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 12:28 PM
mit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Used the Oil Extractor?

Saw an article on Consumer Reports (7/01) on the oil extractor http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...=12&search.y=4
They say that they have 'good results' using it. Also, according to Longo Lexus, their mobile service (which they change your oil at your place) also uses a similar device.

Any comments on it?

On a separate matter, why does Lexus charge $40 to rotate tires? I asked the service rep last time and he told me that they 'look at' the brakes also. Does anyone do their own tire rotation?

Last edited by mit; 09-18-03 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-18-03, 01:05 PM
mtsao
Driver

MIT, IMO convenience and tidyness are the only reasons I'd use one of these rather than drain via the drainplug.

There are several reasons why I would not use one:

1) It's doubtful that these devices reach all the way down to the oil pan
2) Sludgy wastes are also drained when the drain plug is used
3) Having to change the oil filter negates the convenience and tidyness aspect of using extractor
4) How do you inspect whether the drain plug is corroded? Is it properly tightened? Is the compression washer in need of replacement?

Also, when you're under your baby, you not only have a chance to bond but you have a chance to spot potential problems elsewhere.

Draining oil the conventional way is relatively simple if somewhat inconvenient...me, doing things right trumps convenience especially when it comes to my ride.

Mike
Old 09-18-03, 01:13 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Mtsao. If I were to use the extractor I would then change the oil more frequently because of the sludge issues and also make sure to change the filter anyway at least every 7-8k.

FWIW, IMO trying to save a few dollars on oil changes every year on a $40k car I plan to keep indefinitely just isn't rational. Changed to oil 3-4k on the HOnda and it runs great, no smoke and no apparent sludge.

The local Mobil quick shop will put Mobil1 in and a filter for about $40. or so as I recall. For my baby, it's well worth the price. Changed it myself the last time - but on the RX it's a big pain.
Old 09-18-03, 02:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, anything that makes changes easier, and therefore encourages more frequent oil changes can't be all bad.

As for tire rotations, there's been a couple of threads on CL this past week on that very issue that you can find if you search. Personally, with the unidirectional tires I have and the negative camber wear pattern I experience, there's not much point in rotating, unless I have the wheels off for some other reason.

I would agree that $40 is a lot, but we're talking about a Lexus stealership here, so no one should be suprised.
Old 09-18-03, 03:39 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PERRYinLA, the $40 is at a quick-stop type oil changer, called OIL STOP I think, they charge about $28 for dino and ~$40 for Mobil1 which one can watch them put in as they pour it from quart bottles so one knows what is going into one's baby. The Lexus dealer locally once quoted me about $60 for an oil change and that was 3 years ago.
Old 09-18-03, 04:04 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry for the confusion- I was talking about mit's first post about the Lexus dealer charging $40 to rotate tires.

$60 for an oil change is up there, but I think the record is the $70 that Jim Faulk Lexus in Beverly Hills charges. I live a mile away, so I am there often for parts. The service area is always hopping, so there's plenty that have no problem paying such prices.
Old 09-19-03, 02:45 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Devices like these have been staples of the marine industry for years as it's just about the only way to do oil changes in inboard and I/O marine engines. I use an electric type for the twin 454's in my 32' Regal. It makes oil changes a breeze, but it does NOT get all of the oil out of the pan. There is always some very small amount of old oil left in there. After I change the oil in my boat it always looks clean on the dipstick. The key is to change it regularly. Marine engines are put under exponentially more stress than auto engines and almost never fail due to oil related issues so I would say that you would be fine. Just be sure to do the changes regularly.

JP
Old 09-19-03, 09:46 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
...I think the record is the $70 that Jim Faulk Lexus in Beverly Hills charges.
Beverly Hills. That says it all.