Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 07:10 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP

Please....spare me ALL , shoulda, coulda, woulda's and help me out here. I just spent the last three hours with the most incompetant locksmith trying to fish my keys out of my LX 470. Long story....but my 6 year old locked the car upon getting out (so no one would steal his skateboard) the car is in my garage mind you....safe neighborhood.....OK...no problem, get the spare set. OOP's they are in my purse...where is my purse....in the car!!!!! So, every key I own to my car is in it, in my garage. I could not bare to watch the guy flailing this metal rod around the insides of my car any longer. I am hoping the local Toyota dealership, which is five minutes away has a master key. The closest Lexus dealer is 35 min away.

Can anyone tell me if they hold a master key that they will come open your car for you??? Please hurry as this happened this evening and I am stuck without my $ and car till I can get in.
Thanks...
Old 09-25-03, 07:20 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up locksmith

he won't hurt your car if he is careful. You will need to be fast when he unlocks it. the alam will cause the lock/unlock process to happen quick. good luck b
Old 09-26-03, 03:59 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Default locksmith

That was the problem..I am not sure if not being careful was his vice...he just did not have the finesse to keep the rod on the lock. He was going right when he needed to go left, up when he needed to go down, too far left, too far right.....it was the worst three hours I spent in a long time. I was dieing to say "give me the bar and let me try!" He kept trying to use the unlock button that opens all the doors. He could not get a "grip" on anything to make the bar take hold and unlock. To make matters worse, I didn't know which way was lock or unlock to help him out. I kept asking him to try to unlock the button that is right by the door ****. He did hit it, but as soon as we tried to open the door, the alarm went off and it relocked the car. We did this about three times and he didnt want to try that anymore. He said it may "shut the car down" ????? I have no idea what he meant, but the car was in my garage and it was about 9:00 pm so it didnt matter to me if we didn't go that route cause it was quite noisy.

Needless to say, it is 7:00 am the next morning and as of yet, I have no solution. I will try another locksmith if I cannot get any advice from here or the dealers.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-26-03, 07:12 AM
mtsao
Driver

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. Have you tried calling Lexus roadside assistance? Was Toyota able to help you out? I'm thinking that Lexus would know best how to handle the situation. Since you are the legitimate owner it shouldn't be a problem at all gettting replacement keys from them, but it doesn't help that they're so far away...sorry I don't have any better suggestions. Let us know how you finally manage though.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 09-26-03, 07:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

You should have had four keys that came with your LX, right? Two master keys, one valet key and one credit card key. You mentioned two of them locked in the car, how about the others?

Do you know where the credit card key is? Maybe in your owners manual or warranty book? How about the valet key? The credit card key is flat and will not start your car, but it will unlock the doors which is what you need.

Just trying to think of other options!
Old 09-26-03, 10:33 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Well, the problem is finally solved. $65 later. I called Lexus, and they recommended NOT messing with a locksmith and waiting for a key to be sent. They were kind enough to suggest just having a dummy key made at about $35 cost. But, I didnt have the 3-5 days to wait for it to be made/sent being a weekend coming up. So....I called Toyota, they recommended a locksmith that they use and I called him. He said he had a tool that would slide down the window and come up through the inside. He was able to unlock the **** (the one that is just for that door...not the one that unlocks them all). He had to be very careful and very quick. As soon as he popped the lock, he had to open the door. The alarm went off, and it tried to relock, but he was quicker and got it open. The guy that tried lastnight could not get the timing and speed to do that.

To answer the other question about keys...I bought it from a private owner who only had one master key and the valet keys. I had another master key made....that was the one that was in my purse...on the front seat!! The A$$ kicker....when I was able to compose my thoughts and think about it......my valet keys were in the house in a drawer!!! Good thing is AAA will reimburse me the cost of the locksmith since their guy was unsuccessful. It was just a stressful way to learn a lesson!! It is not fun to watch a guy wrenching a metal rod all along your window and inside your car trust me!!! No damage except pride at this point!! Thanks for the concern....
Old 09-26-03, 11:06 AM
mtsao
Driver

This is quite low-tech, but you might consider buying one of those magnetic key hideaways for your car. It's saved me planty of times throughout the years. It only costs a few dollars and you can commonly find it on the automotive aisle or close to where they cut keys. It attaches to any metal surface under your car--I've always tucked mine behind the rear bumper. You never know when it might come in useful. Just a thought. Glad to hear everything worked out.

Mike