Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rear suspension clunking

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 06:17 AM
joeydingo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension clunking

I have a '99 GS4 and recently had a set of the original HKS Hiper coilovers installed. I set them to drop the car about 1" and left the damping at factory setting. My only other suspension mod at this time is a TRD STB. Running 17" inch wheels with 245/45s.

Since I've had the coilovers installed, the cars handles GREAT (Daizen sways are next), but I hear a very annoying clunking from the rear end (worse on the passenger side) when going over small bumps or irregular pavement. Strangely enough, large bumps are not as bad.

I know this could be a number of things, not neccessarily the coilovers because it might be highlighting something that existed before, but wasn't that noticeable until I lowered and stiffened up the suspension.

My list of possible causes are: bumpstops, end links, sway bar bushings. I've had the Toyota tech who did the install checking and he can't find the cause. Anything else that could be the cause?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-03, 07:18 PM
binelus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I could suggest is try to repace bushings...I have a problem like that in a previous car, I replaced everything in suspension and it was not a suspension problem. It was just oil missing in a door articulation cuze temperature was getting cold