Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

No Synthetic Oil For Car Over 75K ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 11:31 AM
martialart
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Synthetic Oil For Car Over 75K ?????

ok i took my GS to the lexus dealer in Sunrise, FL (biggest lexus dealership in U.S.) just for a oil change, i have semi synthetic in there now with 68K I wamt to go full synthetic and the guy said thats not a good itea. He only newer cars require this and not to use full synthetic on higher miles cars??????? is this write? am i missing something here i dont know or is this guy a jerk off??????
Old 10-10-03, 11:51 PM
LexFather

I change my own oil, I got 116,000 miles, I just used Castrol Syntec (full) no problems ever. I switch from syntec blend, to full to regular oil. Once u change the oil, no problems
Old 10-11-03, 01:06 PM
modelaford
Driver

Wink

Yes he is a jerk-off!! Put in full synthetic and don't look back. You never saw a sludged up engine using full synthetic. They had the big deal where they warrentee these till 70K because of the cheap oil people were putting in at the quickie lubes and then driving extended oil changes and sludging up the engine.
Old 10-11-03, 01:17 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jerk-off is a severe description of the service guy. Let's just call him MISINFORMED.

I used synthetic past 150k on my previous car and plan to use it for the life of this ES.
Synthetic is actually safer for me to use in New England winters, so I just keep it in year round.

Make the switch, if you don't like it, then switch back. no problems, no worries.

steviej
Old 10-16-03, 09:51 AM
cjnmel
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i usually change my oil on my '93 GS300 every 2K miles or 2 months with Castrol Syntec, sometimes Syntec Blend. (so far, all is good.)
Old 10-16-03, 10:29 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My advice is "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." If regular oil got you to 75k+, stick with it. Why change now and risk leaks? I have 129k on my Lexus and I just use regular Toyota dealer oil. I think we have a tendency to overcomplicate things more than needed. Keep it simple.
Old 10-16-03, 04:00 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, if the oil engineering specs clearly show that synthetic oil is a better overall lubricant then I'm going with it if I plan to keep my car many years. Frankly, I'd do it anyway, just to preserve the mechanical system Lexus produced, for someone else if I planned to trade it. Just me.

I only put the very best food in my body, I won't do less for my baby.
Old 10-22-03, 08:06 AM
ROLNLEX
Driver School Candidate

So changing to synthetic can start a leak? I switched to synthetic and the car started leaking Is this true? Is it just the synthetic seeps out easier because it's not as dense? If I switch back to regular oil do you think the leak would at least lessen?
Old 10-22-03, 03:17 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

yes the leak will go away
Old 10-23-03, 06:15 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Obviously synthetic oil is a better lubricant than standard oil. I don't think there is anyone debating that fact. I also think that using synthetic oil in your engine is a good thing and can't hurt your engine, no matter how many miles are on it. I once had a 1990 BMW 525i with 187,000 miles on it and the mechanic said to me once after taking off the valve cover (to change the gasket) "You must be using synthetic in this baby! It's super clean!". I use synthetic oil in my cars and my boat. Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I kind of look at it as cheap insurance against oil related failures.

I always understood that if you change to synthetic oil you shouldn't change back to regular oil afterwards. And the other golden rule is that NEVER EVER mix the two.

Jeremy
Old 10-23-03, 07:45 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I would personally go with Mobil 1, NOT CASTROL. In addition, make sure you change your oil filter before switching over to synthetic. I switched from the Toyota to a K&N filter, and have found an improved feeling from the engine.
Old 10-23-03, 08:05 AM
martialart
Driver

so i guess it is safe to go with full syn oil then right? my gs has 68K now, so i want to do the right then now befoe i make a full commitment on the oil issue. thanks
Old 10-23-03, 04:22 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexM, would you elaborate on your comment about using Mobil1 over Castrol so strongly?
I am using Castrol SYNTEC because it is cheaper for me, about $18.xx at Walmart for a 5 qt. bottle. Since I am changing oil at 5k anyway I think this has to be fine, thoughts, curious.?
Old 10-23-03, 07:05 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jeremyp111

I always understood that if you change to synthetic oil you shouldn't change back to regular oil afterwards. And the other golden rule is that NEVER EVER mix the two.

Jeremy

The first part: never changing back is a myth started by the oil companies to keep us in synthetic. Their profit is more. If you change to synthetic and don't like it, you can always change back to what was there before.

The second part, the golden rule: then please explain the "blends" that the oil companies market that are 1/2 fossil based and 1/2 synthetic.

steviej
Old 10-27-03, 08:35 AM
ROLNLEX
Driver School Candidate

And switching back to regular oil may stop or at least lessen the leak? Just to confirm please, thanx guys for input!

Quick Reply: No Synthetic Oil For Car Over 75K ?????