Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How to turn off tire lighting on RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 10:43 AM
lovecd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn off tire lighting on RX350?

Got the tire pressure light on my 2007 RX350, so, I went ahead to get all tires pumped up at Costco. But unable to turn off the light, here is what I did:

1. turn on the key (but without starting the vehicle)
2. press and hold the tire set button underneath driver side until the light blinking for 3 times.
3. start the vehicle

Tried it several times, but the light is still there.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Thanks,
Old 01-03-23, 06:54 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

If the sensors are the original from 2007, chances are the batteries are dead. The only option would be to install and program 4 new ones.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (08-02-23)
Old 01-03-23, 05:35 PM
lovecd
Rookie

Originally Posted by ESully
If the sensors are the original from 2007, chances are the batteries are dead. The only option would be to install and program 4 new ones.
I have new tires replaced replaced at least 2 times in the past, is the original sensor used every time when new tire is replaced or the tire shop will use a new sensor instead? And also, will hitting on curb causing this kind of problem too? I remembered one of the tire hit the curb hardly 2 weeks ago, and the tire light came out few days later, could this be the reason?

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-23, 07:36 PM
ESully
Pit Crew

Sensors are usually not replaced until they fail. Driving with a flat tire can break the sensor. Possible hitting a curb could damage it, but not likely. Sometimes hitting a curb causes a slow leak that can take time to set off a sensor.
You said you pumped up the tires at Costco. Did you check the air pressure? Too much air can also set off the tire light.
Old 01-03-23, 07:50 PM
lovecd
Rookie

Sensors are usually not replaced until they fail. Driving with a flat tire can break the sensor. Possible hitting a curb could damage it, but not likely. Sometimes hitting a curb causes a slow leak that can take time to set off a sensor.
You said you pumped up the tires at Costco. Did you check the air pressure? Too much air can also set off the tire light.
tire shop people at costco pumped it at 34 instead of 30 marked at the door, not sure if this could keep the tire light unable to be disabled. Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-23, 08:58 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

If Costco filled the tires inside where temperatures are higher than outdoors, then they should have gone a couple pounds higher. Pressure will change about 1psi for every 10 degree change. If the car has been driven for awhile the pressure should be above the cold pressure setting since the tire warms from frictionas it goes down the road.
What you need is to have the tires scanned with a TPMS tool. The scanner reads the information from the sensor and will display ID#, pressure, temperature, and battery condition at each wheel.
I frequently see low or dead batteries on cars of your age, and the only fix is to install new sensors. Every sensor has a unique ID. The Asian cars are programmed for the ID of the sensors. If new sensors are installed, the new ID has to be uploaded to the cars computer. It can cost a bit of money for the new sensors, removing the tire to install, and uploading the new data.
Some makes such as GM and Ford are a bit easier as they can self program for new sensors without a TPMS tool.
Other than that, you would have to live with the TPMS light on continuously and regularly check you tire pressures.

Old 01-05-23, 10:20 PM
lovecd
Rookie

If Costco filled the tires inside where temperatures are higher than outdoors, then they should have gone a couple pounds higher. Pressure will change about 1psi for every 10 degree change. If the car has been driven for awhile the pressure should be above the cold pressure setting since the tire warms from frictionas it goes down the road.
What you need is to have the tires scanned with a TPMS tool. The scanner reads the information from the sensor and will display ID#, pressure, temperature, and battery condition at each wheel.
I frequently see low or dead batteries on cars of your age, and the only fix is to install new sensors. Every sensor has a unique ID. The Asian cars are programmed for the ID of the sensors. If new sensors are installed, the new ID has to be uploaded to the cars computer. It can cost a bit of money for the new sensors, removing the tire to install, and uploading the new data.
Some makes such as GM and Ford are a bit easier as they can self program for new sensors without a TPMS tool.
Other than that, you would have to live with the TPMS light on continuously and regularly check you tire pressures.
Thanks for this explanation, really appreciate. By the way, I noticed there is another button related to tire pressure under passenger's glove box, any ideas what is that button for?
Old 01-06-23, 06:41 AM
ESully
Pit Crew

The TPMS button on the drivers side is to re-calibrate the computer, but only if the 4 sensors are working correctly and after the tire pressure is properly set. It should not be pushed to reset if the system is not working properly due to incorrect pressure or failed sensors.
I believe the button on the passenger side is labeled main and 2nd. This is for when you use a different set of tires and rims with their own TPMS sensors for winter. It would be set for main for summer or all season tires, and pushed for 2nd after the wheels and tires are swapped with a complete set of wheels with snow tires for those in heavy snow northern climates.
As I said previously, what you need to do is have your individual sensors checked with a decent scan tool. The picture attached is one type, and as I said it will tell you if the sensors are working or not.
As you can see n the image, It shows vehicle type, sensor ID, pressure, temperature, frequency of transmitter, and battery condition. In this case the pressure is too high at 45 psi, but battery power is OK. If the battery was completely dead, the screen would show no sensor detected.

The following users liked this post:
glerobi (08-02-23)
Old 01-08-23, 12:38 PM
lovecd
Rookie

The TPMS button on the drivers side is to re-calibrate the computer, but only if the 4 sensors are working correctly and after the tire pressure is properly set. It should not be pushed to reset if the system is not working properly due to incorrect pressure or failed sensors.
I believe the button on the passenger side is labeled main and 2nd. This is for when you use a different set of tires and rims with their own TPMS sensors for winter. It would be set for main for summer or all season tires, and pushed for 2nd after the wheels and tires are swapped with a complete set of wheels with snow tires for those in heavy snow northern climates.
As I said previously, what you need to do is have your individual sensors checked with a decent scan tool. The picture attached is one type, and as I said it will tell you if the sensors are working or not.
As you can see n the image, It shows vehicle type, sensor ID, pressure, temperature, frequency of transmitter, and battery condition. In this case the pressure is too high at 45 psi, but battery power is OK. If the battery was completely dead, the screen would show no sensor detected.

Thanks again, this is really helpful!