Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

ABS, TRAC and battery lights are coming on....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 05:25 AM
jewelerz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, TRAC and battery lights are coming on....

Ok I have a concerning problem here. Whenever I accelerate hard or even accelerate a little past normal my battery light comes on. This has been going on once in a while for the past month and a half. Today I noticed its happening EVERYTIME I moderatly accelerate PLUS my ABS and TRAC stay on and my temp gauge slightly rises. When I take my foot off the gas then all the lights go out and the gauge goes back to normal (a little less that halfway). What can this be? I hope its nothing expensive.....
Old 10-26-03, 01:37 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting symptoms. . . maybe a slowly dying battery or maybe even a malfunctioning alternator? How does your car crank in the AM when it's cold? How old is your battery? Also, do your interior lights dim when you accelrate hard? When you accelerate hard, does the car still have "full mechanical power" as it used to do? Have you done anything to the car recently (mods, stereo additions, etc)?

You can have any parts store test out your battery or alternator, but it could be some other gremlin going on.

I'd drop it off at the dealer and have them take a look at it.
Old 10-26-03, 03:09 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

Well. In the AM the car cranks up perfectly. No recent mods as a matter of fact no mods at all . I diconnected the battery and took it to auto zone to have it checked and the battery is good. As for the lights and stuff they are ok but you know how when you give it a little gas the lights get a little bit brighter. By the way do you know they symptoms of a failing alternator?
Old 10-26-03, 04:05 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the alternator outputs, both voltage and amp. Your alternator may get weaks and can't provide enough voltages and amperes to power everything in the car.
Old 10-26-03, 05:00 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Arrow

Hey VVT-i PM me or give me a call when you can.....
Old 10-26-03, 05:07 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

Thanks for th input. i also read in a search that i did to check the battery connection. I noticed that when I disconnected my battery to have it checked that the positive lead was on very secure but the negative lead was not. I could have just twisted and pulled the lead off of the battery. So thats the first thing i am going to have checked tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix my problem in opposed to paying for a more expensive alternator problem.
Old 10-26-03, 08:41 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know what the source of the problem is--I'm curious to see what it is. I almost sounds like the alternator might be failing and that would the thing to check if your battery checks out OK.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-27-03, 07:13 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

As per my mechanic the diagnosis is: The altenator. So my things to replace is as follows:
The Serp Belt - $30
Alternator - $229
P/S Pump - $269
Parts and Labor = $695.00
Is that a good price?

And this is at a real bad time for me. I just got my acura fixed (mechanical) and as soon as that ws done right into the bodyshop with it which is another $500 bucks for the insurance ded. I need new tires for both cars I guess it's not my month!!!!
Old 10-31-03, 02:07 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

Ok guys here it goes. I just got my car out of the shop from the first wave of repairs. Results: (and I'm not crazy here....lol) The Alternator got replaced, serp belt and brakes. The problem I was having indeed was the alt and once I drove off with the new alt EVERYTHING that requires power works so smoothly its unbelieveable!!! When I step on the gas I get the smoothest shifting no jerking no hesitation no warning lights. WOW. I just can't wait to do the second wave of repairs ( I wish I had the cash to do it all today) new P/S pump, water pump, timing belt ,complete tune up air + feul filter, hoses, wires, plugs, caps, and all the rest of the good stuff. Me anticipating the second wave I really hope I'll notice a big diffference in performance
Old 10-31-03, 02:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad it got fixed. On your second wave, you're not gonna notice any difference on the performance. The PS pump is for the Power Steering, the water pump and timing belt just for preventive maintenace. The spark plug and air filter may help if they are really old and dirty. But it's all good to do all that for peace of mind. Good luck.
Old 11-01-03, 06:25 AM
jewelerz
Rookie

Thanks. I guess the best performance of all will be my peace of mind.
Old 11-01-03, 01:15 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I just had the same problem two nights ago, my battery light and ABS light came on and then the engine eventually died. I had it jumped and the car started but it died a few seconds later. The lights started to dim, the engine stumbled, and then kapoot. Turns out my alternator went bad too.