NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

NELOC Brothers I need some suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 05:39 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NELOC Brothers I need some suspension help

Ok check it out. So I gets my lowering springs last week. I began putting them on Wen. and I got the front ones on with no problem. I then pulled everything out to get to the rear ones (seats, seat belts, ect) and let me tell you It was a lot of stuff to take out to get to the strut mounts. So I begin taking the rears off and I get to the last 2 bolts at the bottom of the strut and they wont come off.

(Sorry 4 the crappy picture)
I've tried using a longer extension to get more leverage, I've tried that PB blaster stuff thats supposed to loosen bolts, I've tried hitting the extension with a rubber hammer and nothing has worked. I dont have any air tools and I refuse to pay out the a$$ for an electric torque gun. I dont know why that SOB wont move. I know I'm not weak. I bent 2 extensions and broke a ratchet I pulled so hard.

So does anyone in the MD area has some air tools or someone at a shop that can hook me up? I really need your help.
Old 04-02-06, 07:40 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

smitty, you sure you turning them the right way?

if you are, try heating it up a little, with a torch, and then retry. that should do it.
Old 04-02-06, 08:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Saturate it with wd-40 and let it soak in
Old 04-02-06, 11:48 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Saturate it with wd-40 and let it soak in
Thats what I tired at first but no good.

smitty, you sure you turning them the right way?

if you are, try heating it up a little, with a torch, and then retry. that should do it.
I'll have to try that one.
Old 04-02-06, 12:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Air-tool time if all else fails. Those bolts have been on the car forever.
Old 04-02-06, 12:33 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Air-tool time if all else fails. Those bolts have been on the car forever.
Yeah thats what I'm thinkin. Cause I dont think I'm a small dude and I was breakin tools trying to turn that bolt.

Oh yeah aliga of course I'm turning the right way. Righty tighty, Lefty loosey. Haha.
Old 04-02-06, 05:28 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Smitty, I was a aircraft mechanic back in the day US Army 85-95, And most of the bolts on the planes and helicopters are made to tighten up from vibration that are caused by the engine and transmissions. We always had trouble removing screws, one trick we did that seems to always work is, tighten the bolt first, what I mean is right before loosening it. Try and see if you can tighten it just enough to make it move. It's called in the trade (breaking seal). As soon as you feel the bolt or nut give, then start loosening it. I know it sound silly but it always seem to work on the Chinooks and Blackhawks I use to work on. God I miss those days, fly treetop level with your feet hanging out the door sending 7.72 Caliber rounds down range . Opps sorry off topic. Good luck and if you succeed I have L-Tuned S/S u can install on my baby.
Old 04-02-06, 06:03 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Smitty, I was a aircraft mechanic back in the day US Army 85-95, And most of the bolts on the planes and helicopters are made to tighten up from vibration that are caused by the engine and transmissions. We always had trouble removing screws, one trick we did that seems to always work is, tighten the bolt first, what I mean is right before loosening it. Try and see if you can tighten it just enough to make it move. It's called in the trade (breaking seal). As soon as you feel the bolt or nut give, then start loosening it. I know it sound silly but it always seem to work on the Chinooks and Blackhawks I use to work on. God I miss those days, fly treetop level with your feet hanging out the door sending 7.72 Caliber rounds down range . Opps sorry off topic. Good luck and if you succeed I have L-Tuned S/S u can install on my baby.
I'll give it a try that but I didnt know u was in the Army. I'm still on reserve status untill October of this year. But I've never had this much trouble replacing springs or struts. But hopefully I'll get it soon.
Old 04-02-06, 06:10 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Smitty I had the same trouble when I installed H&R lowering springgs in my 92 LS. i had to take the car to a friend of mine who had air tools, and actually he wound up having to use an air chisel to break the bolt Ins and install new ones. I, like you, am no small dude. In this case, it might be fair to play with air.
Old 04-03-06, 05:03 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Smitty I had the same trouble when I installed H&R lowering springgs in my 92 LS. i had to take the car to a friend of mine who had air tools, and actually he wound up having to use an air chisel to break the bolt Ins and install new ones. I, like you, am no small dude. In this case, it might be fair to play with air.
Cool. Where are you at in MD? Maybe your friend can help me out as well. I'd be willing to pay right about now.
Old 04-03-06, 05:30 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

why dont you heat it up a little?

MD, put your lighters up!
Old 04-03-06, 02:57 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Smitty PM sent

New York,, put ya lighters up, ,
Va, ,,keep puttin dem, lighters up
Pa,, throw dem lighters up
Md,,we tossin dem lighters up
Old 04-03-06, 03:24 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Those bolts have been on the car forever.

I must say!.............. you are a true mechanic

Smitty what i tell you about having them big booooooty Hoe$$ in that back seat gottta hit da motelz.... or da holiday INN!!!!
Old 04-03-06, 04:35 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Smitty what i tell you about having them big booooooty Hoe$$ in that back seat gottta hit da motelz.... or da holiday INN!!!!
Its not my fault. Cherplex was with me and like he always says, "Big B#&%#s need love too."

LoL Just messin with u plex.
Old 04-03-06, 04:46 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
I must say!.............. you are a true mechanic
Yes indeed Give me 5 minutes under the hood of your whip

Quick Reply: NELOC Brothers I need some suspension help