NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Your reflection on NELOC..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 07:24 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been gone for a couple of days because of business. So when i got back, I saw the posting made by Dennis. So, I have just been sitting back and absorbing what everyone here is saying.

I've been on CL for almost a year now and it has been an incredible experience. When I initially joined, I had no idea that this community would become such a part of my life. I recall the first meet I went to which was at todd's house aka."the clubhouse". I was invited by tony (nyaristo). It was real cool and little did I know it was going to be one of many and the beginning of something different for me. I have attended almost every single meet in the past year since then and its been tons of fun. In the process i have made some really good friends. I realized this even more so on the day I had my accident, when the cavalry from CL came to my aide. They went above and beyond what I ever expected them to do. Tony even trooped it from Long Island and came through to the ER to check on me. Todd even went and picked up my wife while I was in the ambulance heading to the hospital. Even when I was shopping for a new ride, so many members went out of their way to help me find it. Not just here in the Northeast but even in the west coast when I was contemplating on purchasing a vehicle from Cali. That just amazed me even more. There were strangers in the other part of the country willing to help me out because of this bond we have here. That to me was just something incredible in my eyes. Even when I went to get my vehicle out of state, a member from here, which I had never even met before (your the man Smitty ) went and checked out the vehicle for me. He even picked me up from the bus depot , took me to the dealer and hung out with me in the whole process. I could keep going on and on about the various things certain members have done for me, not because they were asked but because they chose to on their own. Those are the things that have made alot of members here part of my extended family and makes me appreciate this community even more. The act of giving and unselfishness thrives here. I see that as being very rare in this time and age. Its the reason why I keep coming back.

On that note, let me get to the topic on hand. Yes, NELOC has grown to an allegedly 100+ members. That looks good and sounds great, but things aren't what they appear to be. This was very much apparent to me when we had our first "official" NELOC meet. It was something that was planned out discussed for several weeks, even months, that it was going to happen. So many people agreed to it, signed up and at the end never showed up. I understand everyone has a life and responsibilities to handle but that was really disappointing to me. I mean, NYC has the most members by far compared to the rest of NELOC and do you know how many members went? It was pathetic... total of 5 people and that included me. One of the members that went, doesn't even own a Lexus...LMAO

Do I wish it was better ? Yes. Can it be better? Yes. Do I see big things for NELOC? Yes.

With the meets that we have been having, at least the major ones, they were posted well in advance. The regular local meets (ie. wednesday meets here in NYC) are always last minute, spur of the moment thing, so its not expected of members to attend them. It would be nice but hey it is what it is. As pointed out there is a core group of people that always come out. There is also a certain group that always voices their opinion here and are all gung ho, but never show up to anything. Thats their choice. Its not an obligation or mandatory to attend a meet. Of course, we would all love it if everyone came out as a sign of solidarity but thats always going to be the case. For those that do come out thats what its all about. Breaking the monotony of our lives and just enjoying what brings a smile to our face. In this case, the love for our cars.

This is just the beginning of NELOC and we are still in our infancy so we will go through growing pains. Hopefully we all go through it together and in the process we can make something that we can look forward to. As we try to accomplish this, the family known as NELOC can only have its roots grow thicker & stronger by what we put in. Its up to the members here to make it happen. That means you.

just for you trukn..lets leave it on this note...
"lets keep our eyes out for the kojak with the kodak so that we can hammer it down .... and thats a 10-10 ..partna"

Last edited by GSoup; 06-12-06 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-12-06, 09:53 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rotfflmfao!!!!!!! Oh God!!!! Soup Talkin My Language!!!!!!!
See that's what I'm talking about, reaching out to another member to learn something new and relate. Your words were eloquently put sir and I even formed a tear just reading them. I could feel that everything you said came straight from the heart, and it even jerked mine.

WE ARE the epitome of a sacred brotherhood!!! WE ARE the extended family which we all can be proud of!!! WE ARE bonded by our interest and passions in the pursuit of unity amongst common interest!!!! and most importantly,,,,,

WE ARE NELOC!!!!!
(Nate this just a lil sumtin for you from the "spontaneous spitter". LOL!!!)

Oh, and for the record,,Soup work on the CB lingo. Yours is outdated by about 20 years!! LOL!!!
kojak with the kodak
I just cant stop laughing!! Especially since I know where this phrase came from. Do me a favor,, walk over to the DVD, press eject, and PLEASE take the CANNONBALL RUN out of the player!!!! Your CB talk is the equivalent to my Spanish talk "Hilarious" . Here's a lil sumthing for ya,,,,

Brotha, I'm westbound, hammer down. Watching for the bears in the air,, cutting through traffic like I just don't care!!!! Avoiding that county mounty that's undercova while getting glances of all of the seat covas'!!! LOL!!! enjoy and I'm gone!!!.

Last edited by trukn1; 06-13-06 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 06:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To expand on my earlier post, and to respond to Dennis's concern. If you really take an in depth look at NELOC, it is comprised of mostly guys who joined the forums and have less than a year on CL. Most of the senior members who were quite active in the North East Forum, stray away from this particular forum due to lack of substance at times. Most of the discussions on this board are sidebar discussions with cartoon pics, jokes, and at times insults. Granted, we have developed friendship with others and joke at times, but we should cut the sidebar stuff to a mininum and stay on topic. Take a look at the NORCAL board. That board should serve as a model for NELOC. It is disheartening to me not to see the senior members on this board since those guys would come up with game plans that would garner so much interest from everyone new and old. For example, the guys would plan meets at the local drag strips out in Long Island for us to race one another, dyno meets, local specialty shop meets, the list goes on and on. At the same time, their was no dissention among members . Not to knock on the leaders/mods of NELOC, but their needs to be more leadership and control on this board. Another problem which plagues this board are posts being misconstrued. There have been many instances when members would post a response to a thread, and another member would misconstrue the response as an attack on their person. I have experienced this on a number of occasions along with other members on this board. Their needs to be a beter understanding in that regard. Not to be selfish, but I try to be as informative to fellow members as much as possible on CL. If you click on my screen name, you will see the threads I started and posts I responded too on CL. Their are other notable members that have done the same to assist others. We need to be more mature in the way we conduct ourselves on NELOC. This will result in a much more improved perception and outlook of NeLoc.
Old 06-13-06, 07:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I honestly don't know of the so called tension among some of the members here. I will admit some of the threads get off topic now and then. I like SC vs GS discussions we have sometimes. I've had a positive experience overall I only picked up what DMAN-63 started as far as having a NE Specific Club. As far as meets/activities I'm still new at trying to put stuff together. Anyone can throw out an idea for a meet etc..... I browse the NORCAL board and other boards and they have some good info and ideas there. I hear everything you're saying as far as control and leadership but everyone is grown here. I've never been an enforcer type of person even when I was in the military. I'm here for nothing more than love of these cars and to share that with other enthusiasts.
Old 06-13-06, 07:39 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm confused...isn't the NE board a separate group from the NELOC board? Isn't the NE board mostly NYC and northern cities, and the NELOC board mostly NYC and the midatlantic region (MD/DC/VA)?

Who are the elder members that are in the MD/DC/VA/PA area? I am just curious. It seems as if the NYC CL members are a group all unto itself. I think all strife, seniority, and previous consistent track events have been relegated to that area...as I would imagine the previous historical track events were held in the NYC area.

In the MD/DC/VA area, it seems that NELOC is new. When I went to Lexfest in Maryland, and also to a few local meets in Maryland, noone ever mentioned previous regular CL events happening in the MD/DC/VA area. It seemed all-new for ALL of us in the area.

I say all this so that we stop lumping all of the Northeast quadrant in with a certain group of NE CL members who may have some "strife" or "issues" with other members, or issues with the forums itself. NELOC members south of NYC seem to get along great....hec, we can't wait to hang out with each other, locally and regionally.

If something is going in with the elder members of the NE forum, that's unfortunate. But it's not affecting the southern chapter of NELOC. We're just getting started.

Maybe these "elder members" need to plan a new event, like say a track event from the good ole days, and then us NELOC members can attend. And then we can see how things used to be done. Just lead by example. If it's fun and exciting, we'll gladly follow their lead.

Last edited by KevinGS; 06-13-06 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 08:05 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't sweat it Plex, you're doing a great job and so are the other moderators. You guys weren't elected to be 'Club Presidents' and people need to take this a little more lightly. You guys were given the title of moderator to the forum not to the club so making people 'happy' isn't your responsibility. Anyone can step up and make suggestions about a meet or anything else for that matter. If you have interest, then go, if not then dont go. Part of the problem is that people take this stuff too seriously and input their opnions where it isn't asked for. You can recognize when someone wants your opinion, they'll ask ("What do you guys think?" is a great clue). Most people want to belong to something but don't want to put any effort into it besides an opinion. This isn't a full car 'club', this is a forum where people have common interests but outside of that interests its highly unlikely that we would have crossed paths as the diversity of our backgrounds is evidenced in the many group photos. But there are quite a bit of people who have established friendships and get together often based on their participation in our section of this WEBSITE. That core group of people who do get together, especially in the NYC area, have done so out of a mutual respect and admiration for one another. It's not just to 'show off their car' or their knowledge of cars and the phone calls to say what's up or offer support in daily living are evidence of that and I can say that creating that bond has been enjoyable.

I understand Dennis' point entirely and I would suggest that he advise the people who want to complain to him about other members or people in general to take their gripe directly to the person of interest. And if you do have a problem or issue with someone, that 'ignore' list is the absolute greatest. I know it works wonders for me.

As for topic and off topic, it's a fine line as this regional forums are a place where everyone can choose to come and grow and bond. From my understanding, these threads do NOT have to be Lexus related but can be a hodge podge of things that may have interest to others within the region. Lexus car stuff is why we have 'car sections' so if people want to take a minute and post a cartoon or joke because they are getting to know each other, feel free. Others see the comraderie being developed and then see that people do meet up and hang out and actually develop friendships and it's inviting. I think we get more interest from people who check in and see that group getting together to do different things and seeing the 'friendly exchanges' we have. The SC vs GS thing is and was a great thing for NELOC and enjoyable, wondering what the people who have a problem with it saw as negative, it was all in fun? Did you really think we would start a gang war because of a little competition between car models? Lighten up a little bit and realize that this is a forum. If this is your only way to make friends or the only friends you have and you're thinking about getting that NELOC tattoo on your forehead, then you may have bigger issues to deal with, lol
Old 06-13-06, 08:08 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
isn't the NE board a separate group from the NELOC board
Now it is. In the past, the North East board was our only outlet. You made some good points Those folks that spoke to Dennis need to come out of the closet. One wonders what the catalyst to the so called "dessention" on this board is. Where is the dissention some folks ask. Dennis posed to us to "speak up or hold your piece." I am not one to be reserved, and gave my opinion. I am not the one with the gripe here ladies and gentlemen since I continue to post here
Old 06-13-06, 08:26 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the new jack..... Are there some undertones everyone should know about.? this is not that serious.... if we stay with weekly local meets and at least a bimonthly NELOC meet thing will come together. We are relatively new and I think things take time. I am happy with the progress. I think 7/22 will put everything in it proper perspective. I am excited and so are other members..."it gets greater later"
Old 06-13-06, 08:48 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Now it is. In the past, the North East board was our only outlet.
Why was NELOC started if we already had the NE forum? Just curious.

And I, like Oohpapi thinks the NELOC and all regional forums are centered around Lexus info, but I also thought it could be about anything in the region. If someone in CL is traveling into the MD/DC/VA area, I would expect them to come into the NELOC forum and ask for ANY advice. It could be something as silly as to where the nearest upscale mall is, or informative as to where the cheapest gas is.

Also, we have to keep in mind that we are a collective goup of people from all backgrounds and age groups. So, the varying interests will differ...which is really the beauty of this CL melting pot. We have all shades...and we have old heads, young whippernappers, and everyone in between. So we can't expect all threads and all posts to be our own personal preference. It IS a forum. Don't get offended by a post. Just move on. Sheesh! Let's not take this too seriously, like Oohpapi said.

They're cars, that we are using for our enjoyment. Let's be respectful, but also enjoy this group we have as well.
Old 06-13-06, 09:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn Kevin, maybe you Maryland guys aren't so bad after all..... I mean at least one of you did go to NSU (Norfolk State Univ) but I won't hold that against the whole group

See that was a joke, someone may have smiled at it, maybe some one didn't, but no one died.... Lighten up!!! LOL

AGGIE PRIDE!!!!!
Old 06-13-06, 09:07 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

BEHOLD the Green and Gold!! I smiled....papi44 first round on me....oh I drink water... right Smitty?
Old 06-13-06, 09:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Why was NELOC started if we already had the NE forum? Just curious.

And I, like Oohpapi thinks the NELOC and all regional forums are centered around Lexus info, but I also thought it could be about anything in the region. If someone in CL is traveling into the MD/DC/VA area, I would expect them to come into the NELOC forum and ask for ANY advice. It could be something as silly as to where the nearest upscale mall is, or informative as to where the cheapest gas is.

Also, we have to keep in mind that we are a collective goup of people from all backgrounds and age groups. So, the varying interests will differ...which is really the beauty of this CL melting pot. We have all shades...and we have old heads, young whippernappers, and everyone in between. So we can't expect all threads and all posts to be our own personal preference. It IS a forum. Don't get offended by a post. Just move on. Sheesh! Let's not take this too seriously, like Oohpapi said.

They're cars, that we are using for our enjoyment. Let's be respectful, but also enjoy this group we have as well.
As far as why Neloc got started, Plex answered that question in an earlier post. I've been to many Neloc meets and contributed food, drink and pleasantries with other members. I love the meets! Dennis mentioned a decline in participation. What is the cause of that? We are attempting to get to the crux of the problem, and rectify it if possible. Plex and others are doing the best that they can to bring unity to Neloc, and i commend them for that. They can't do it alone though, as it has to be a collective effort to make this forum worth wild to all.
Old 06-13-06, 09:17 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

even though i dont post that much anymore since ive been in the ATL for a couple of months im going to voice my opinion and observations on the the subject. ive been to 2 meets and they wereboth at TODDS house last year and i enjoyed myself, this was b4 NELOC. I got along with everyone and didnt have any problems. there are lots of different personalities and it takes time to get to know ppl when theres no history. im very busy at times mostly with family obligations so its hard for me to get away. thats not an excuse,just reality. i can feel the tension in this thread alone and most certainly in the forum at times.maybe its just my acute street senses that alert me to potential beef brewing. but i wouldnt even call it beef b/c that would denote some serious **** about to go down. i would just say its alot of bickering back and forth at times which i dont have the patience for b/c those are female traits. im not trying to call ANYONE out its just an observation and the reason i dont post in alot of threads. that kind of makes me sad b/c i loved to post in the NE forum but now i hardly look in the NELOC forum. all you have to do is read the threads in the forum and you will immediately know whos got problems and whos taking sides. i mean if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all and if you have an issue wih another member you need to work it out with them and stop stressing the mods to solve YOUR problem. at the end of the day all they cando is ban someone and do you think no access to CL is really going squash the so called beef?
Old 06-13-06, 09:17 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

once again.... is there something everyone should know about.... I got love for everyone in NELOC.. even guys who went to a school in NC where there mascot's name represents "weed" .oops I mean agriculture. individual beefs should be handled by PM , not in the open.... I don't want to show the rest of the CL members reading any friction.
Old 06-13-06, 09:23 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cherplex
After I met the NYC crew at Lexfest last year I definately wanted to start something up as far as a defined NE club outside of the NE Forum I actually asked the for the NE forum to be renamed neloc lol but that was shot down. D-MAN63 was actually the one that started this all up I just give it a little push .........I realize that we are still in infancy stage and it will take time to grow. Some of the meets we had were pretty good some could have been better. I had a good time at that Staten Island meet freezing my azz off lol. I know with the meets not everyone can make it because of obligations etc........I think for the future every NE event like HIN etc.....we should have a meet before that similar to the AC HIN meet......
Ahhhhhh, I see Plex's vision is why we have a NELOC. Good stuff, Plex. You're the OG of this here NELOC group. Many thanks for your leadership. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of help along the way.

And we'll do some collective brainstorming on the 22nd in Harrisburg. Like Lexfest, we're at the ground floor of where this is all going.

Quick Reply: Your reflection on NELOC..