NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Official NELOC Lexfest Thread sign up,caravan,hotel info etc...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 09:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Official NELOC Lexfest Thread sign up,caravan,hotel info etc...........

Ok peoples we have discussed this back and forth in some threads but let's get the ball rolling on who plans to go to this. It's a 10 hour drive for me. I definately will need some earplugs . I'm thinking of leaving during the day Friday. And heading back sometime Sunday. So who's in and what's the best way to do this as far as a caravan. There was mention of the cars getting put on a trailer but I think that option is still being investigated.

Link to ------------>LEXFEST

Here goes the list

1. KevinGS
2.cherplex
Old 08-04-06, 12:18 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know da ES is rollin.

1. KevinGS
2.cherplex
3. Smitty0881
Old 08-04-06, 12:22 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

U guys all taking the I-75 south to get there? At least in the early part of the journey anyway.
Old 08-04-06, 01:05 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We can take 95 to 85, if we leave on Friday we can get to Greensboro NC (5 hours from MD) and get a room for under $50, leave early the next morning and make it there in just over 4 hours. The start of 85 is usually (knock on wood) po-po free for an hour and a half and that's where you make up alot of time. (end of VA, beginning of NC), there are no big towns from Petersburg to Raleigh.
Old 08-04-06, 03:23 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. KevinGS
2.cherplex
3. Smitty0881
4.bigmalik00
Old 08-06-06, 07:47 AM
PJ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in.

1. KevinGS
2.cherplex
3. Smitty0881
4.bigmalik00
5. PJ

Also a thought....

I think the best route from NY to ATL is I-95S to DC, 495 to 66 to 81 to 77 to 85. Yahoo maps says 13 hours and some change. This would be perfect. The NY ppl can start up in NY, meet up w/ the DC ppl near the 495 and 66 interchange. oohpapi44 was talking about doing an overnight near the VA/NC border. Blacksburg seems like an ideal place to stop . It JUST about 1/2 way between ny and atl. And depending on what time you guys get there, before everyone heads to the hotel, it is a college town . Just a thought, let me know what you guys think and i can call some hotels around and find out what rates i can get.

Very senic drive along 81, although if you guys wanted you could change part of ur 81 drive and take the Blue Ridge Parkway (voted best senic drive in america ). THe only thing w/ that is i dont know how much time it'll add to the trip.

That leaves 2 hours to charlotte ( if we wanted to meet up w/ some SELOC ppl). Then about 4 hours or less to atl.

let me know what u guys think

check the directions here --> http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newa...ga&tcountry=us
Old 08-06-06, 08:23 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. KevinGS
2.cherplex
3. Smitty0881
4.bigmalik00
5. PJ
6. Stefwilli (D2autosport)

I am down to go through greensboro, I have friends and family there. We should get a BLUE TAPE (painters tape) sponsorship, lol.
Old 08-06-06, 08:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by PJ
Im in.

1. KevinGS
2.cherplex
3. Smitty0881
4.bigmalik00
5. PJ

Also a thought....

I think the best route from NY to ATL is I-95S to DC, 495 to 66 to 81 to 77 to 85. Yahoo maps says 13 hours and some change. This would be perfect. The NY ppl can start up in NY, meet up w/ the DC ppl near the 495 and 66 interchange. oohpapi44 was talking about doing an overnight near the VA/NC border. Blacksburg seems like an ideal place to stop . It JUST about 1/2 way between ny and atl. And depending on what time you guys get there, before everyone heads to the hotel, it is a college town . Just a thought, let me know what you guys think and i can call some hotels around and find out what rates i can get.

Very senic drive along 81, although if you guys wanted you could change part of ur 81 drive and take the Blue Ridge Parkway (voted best senic drive in america ). THe only thing w/ that is i dont know how much time it'll add to the trip.

That leaves 2 hours to charlotte ( if we wanted to meet up w/ some SELOC ppl). Then about 4 hours or less to atl.

let me know what u guys think

check the directions here --> http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newa...ga&tcountry=us
From Ontario in Canada, my route (if I come) intersects your route at 81. See details below. Perhaps we could plan to meet somewhere on 81 and maybe join you guys.

1. Starting in OAKVILLE, ON on MCCRANEY ST E - go < 0.1 mi
2. Turn Right on TRAFALGAR RD - go 0.4 mi
3. Bear Right onto HWY-403 WEST toward HAMILTON - go 11.0 mi
4. Take Left fork onto QEW toward EAST HAMILTON/NIAGARA/FORT ERIE - go 39.3 mi
5. Take Left exit #37 onto HWY-405 EAST toward QUEENSTON - go 5.4 mi
6. HWY-405 EAST becomes QUEENSTON-LEWISTON BRG - go 0.5 mi
7. QUEENSTON-LEWISTON BRG becomes I-190 SOUTH - go 14.7 mi
8. Take exit #16 onto I-290 EAST toward ROCHESTER/TONAWANDA - go 9.8 mi
9. Take exit #51-61 onto I-90 WEST toward ERIE - go 100.2 mi
10. Take exit #22A onto I-79 SOUTH toward PITTSBURGH - go 279.9 mi
11. Take exit #57/US-19 SOUTH onto UPPER MILL CREEK RD[US-19] toward BECKLEY - go 0.5 mi
12. Continue to follow US-19 - go 66.9 mi
13. US-19 becomes US-19-ALT SOUTH - go 1.8 mi
14. Take ramp onto I-77 SOUTH - go 73.5 mi
15. Take exit #40/US-81 SOUTH/US-52 NORTH onto I-81 SOUTH toward BRISTOL - go 147.8 mi
16. Take exit #1B onto I-40 WEST toward KNOXVILLE - go 53.4 mi
17. Take Left fork onto I-75 SOUTH toward CHATTANOOGA - go 192.5 mi
18. Take exit #248A/M L KING JR DR onto MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DR toward TURNER FIELD/STATE CAPITOL - go 0.5 mi
19. Turn Left on WASHINGTON ST SW - go 0.1 mi
20. Turn Left on CAPITOL SQ SW - go 0.1 mi
21. Turn Left on CAPITOL AVE - go < 0.1 mi
22. Arrive at the center of ATLANTA, GA

Here's your route:

and here is my route:

Last edited by Hameed; 08-06-06 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-06-06, 09:08 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cherp you are insane, lol

i don't trust my car on that long of a trip yet
make sure someone takes a vid cam to this one
Old 08-06-06, 06:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I live exactly between I 77 and I 85 (3 miles to each) so if you guys do stay in Blacksburg Thurs pm? and wanted to meet up Friday AM in Charlotte I'd be glad to caravan down with you. I do need to leave early enough to get things setup and I want to avoid Friday rush hour in ATL.

I-77 through the Shenandoah Valley is a beautiful drive (I went to school in Harrisonburg there). It's been a while since I stayed in Blacksburg, but there are lots of hotels right on at the interestate at Blacksburg / Christiansburg exit.

The Blue Ridge parkway is an awesome drive, but the speed limit in most places is 45mph and fairly heavily enforced. Don't want to steer you away from it, but it will add an extra 1/3 to the time you drive on it. If you wanted to be on it for a short bit, you could get on near Blacksburg and drive it to Hillsville, VA (top of Fancy Gap mountain on I77). Another option may be the part called the Skyline Drive further north (off I-81 in Shenandoah Valley).
Old 08-06-06, 09:05 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, for all of you who are going,, here are the bestg directions for all of the different groups to meet up with one another and caravan, and create havcoc from the Trukn1 himself. (trust me truck drivere know their stuff). It's long so please pay attention if all of the different groups want to meet up.

I-95 to I-85-- good route but (a) full of traffic [will be harder to keep group together], (b) cop central [45 plus Lexus will definately draw attention.

Here goes.
Group from Canada--
I-81 all the way down is good but you should alter to I-77S in Va, to I-40 W in Statesville,NC to state route 321 to I-85 in Gastonis, NC. (just a hint 40 >321>85 is a smooth transition around Charlotte,NC where I-85 and I-77 meet up.. this is a bypass route. traffic around charlotte is ridiculous at all times of the day/nite). Meet up with NY group at rest area past I-81 and I-78 junction.
NY-Group
Best way for you is same as Harrisburg route. (78W>81S). at rest area just past junction you can meet Canada group).
MD group- you all will have to roll solo, unless you want to caravan with the rest. getting to 81 is going to be a bit out of you way. if you insist since most of you live in PG/Montgomery then...
495 toward Rockville, to 270N to 70 W to 81. Meet the NY/Canada caravan at rest area at state line in WV on 81South.
If not caravaning, then unfortunately 95>85 is gonna be straight shot for you. NY same thing if not caravaning.

once the three groups have met NY/MD/Canada 81 South through Blacksburg (don't forget to pick up PJ), to 77 south to 40 west (less traffic) to State route 321 south to 85 south. into Atlanta.

you all will have to coordinate times amongst yourselves. I would suggest a spokesperson from each area serve as group loader and the leaders stay in contact with each other in order to meet.
Canada group-- your route 81>40 >75 will work as well, however, you will encounter alot of traffic in Knoxville,Tn because of road construction. If you dont mind the traffic then the route will work just fine. Be advised that 75 does get pretty crowded, because it also handles traffic from I-24 that going into Atlanta as well. If anyone needs highway directions alternate routes. Please feel free to PM me.

THIS RESPONSE IS ONLY FOR ALL OF YOU WHO WISH TO CARAVAN TOGETHER. IF YOU FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE GOING ANOTHER WAY THEN PLEASE BY ALL MEANS DO SO.
Old 08-06-06, 09:21 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hey trukn1, thanks for the input!

What would be the best route from Canada in terms of time (forget about a convoy for min) to Atlanta? Just in case I cannot convoy for whatever reason, I would like to know what your recommendations are on the best route to take (avoid traffic, shortest time possible, etc). Thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-06, 09:43 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's been awhile since I ran out of Ontario. For you I will have to do a little research. Check back here tomorrow. I have to get my atlas from my truck and see if I can give you a better route which is mostly highway. The route you have will work, but it has you taking alot of state roads and as opposed to main interstates. Not to say that they wont work but alot of the state highways will take you through small towns and such, so unless you want to go sighseeing, I will have to work out a little something better for you.
Old 08-06-06, 10:08 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by trukn1
It's been awhile since I ran out of Ontario. For you I will have to do a little research. Check back here tomorrow. I have to get my atlas from my truck and see if I can give you a better route which is mostly highway. The route you have will work, but it has you taking alot of state roads and as opposed to main interstates. Not to say that they wont work but alot of the state highways will take you through small towns and such, so unless you want to go sighseeing, I will have to work out a little something better for you.
Thanks!! Looking forward to it.

I am still not sure 100% if I will be going down, but at least I will plan to.
Old 08-06-06, 11:41 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yooo that's MADD mileage n gas

Quick Reply: Official NELOC Lexfest Thread sign up,caravan,hotel info etc...........