NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

For those of you going to Lexfest next month, be aware.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 07:06 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ExclusivIS: where did you get pulled over?? i just got 35% all around also to avoid being TOO dark.

NYLexSC: i thought NY drivers dont get points added for violations in any other state. including the tri-state region. i've been driving fast in NJ and CT lately thinking if i get busted it would just be a pay it and forget it fine.
Old 08-25-06, 07:18 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got Pulled Over on the Upper East in Manhatten. I got no points
but it was a 90$ Fine.
Old 08-26-06, 03:01 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manhattan i can see them cracking on tint. You know, gota make sure they can see Muslims and profile them as terrorists. thank god i dont need to go into nyc that much. The last time i went into manhattan during the day they nabbed me. Right now im driving around my LS which has 50% all around except the front window, if a cop wanted to be a ******** he could freakin give me a ticket for the front two windows, and you can see in perfectly. Talk about crappy NY laws.

Cops need to go and take care of the real bigger issues like stupid ricers with the big "view obstructing" parkbench, or the loud "peace disturbing" fartcan exhausts.
Old 08-28-06, 09:14 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
ExclusivIS: where did you get pulled over?? i just got 35% all around also to avoid being TOO dark.

NYLexSC: i thought NY drivers dont get points added for violations in any other state. including the tri-state region. i've been driving fast in NJ and CT lately thinking if i get busted it would just be a pay it and forget it fine.
I've been ticketed on the NJTP and received points on my license. We are affected by the tri-state area only. I am 100% certain on this one. Our records reciprocate between NJ, NY and CT. Outside of that, you are golden.
Old 09-06-06, 02:32 PM
Suspect7
Rookie

Originally Posted by nate579
Let's say your tint is legal in say Texas and your vehicle is registered there, can Ga. or Va. give you ticket for having a too dark tint in their state. I don't think so.
Unfortunately, yes they can give you a ticket. It does not matter what the law in the state your car is registered in is, but what the law in the state you are driving in is. For example, say you have a radar detector in your car, it might be legal in your state, but when you enter a state in which it is not legal, you not only must turn it off, but remove it from your windshield as you may be pulled over and ticketed for suspicion of use of an illegal radar detector. So, it doesnt matter what the laws are in your state, only what the law of the state you are currently in is, so BE CAREFUL!!!
Old 09-06-06, 03:37 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suspect7
Unfortunately, yes they can give you a ticket. It does not matter what the law in the state your car is registered in is, but what the law in the state you are driving in is. For example, say you have a radar detector in your car, it might be legal in your state, but when you enter a state in which it is not legal, you not only must turn it off, but remove it from your windshield as you may be pulled over and ticketed for suspicion of use of an illegal radar detector. So, it doesnt matter what the laws are in your state, only what the law of the state you are currently in is, so BE CAREFUL!!!

See I think that's a grey area, because if I am registered in Pa. And I don't have a front license plates. But driving throught states that require them, they can't pull you over because you are not following the law of that state. U see it depends I think on if you fight in court. I have heard so many stories about it. Hmmm? I think I better ask some of my Law Enforcement buddies. I will post with a definitive answer.
Old 09-06-06, 10:20 PM
Suspect7
Rookie

well, being in the law field, i can qaulify this for you. The plate thing is only required if you are registered in that state as it is a law that any car registered in that state is required to have front and rear plates. so this would not apply to a car with only a rear plate registered in a state only requiring a rear plate if it traveled outside that state to one which required both plates (does taht make sense, sounded really weird when i read it back!).

However, the tint thing is a law which you would be breaking because it was illegal to have a certain % tint on your windows. It would be like driving 70 in a 55 and then trying to tell the cop that because its 70 in your state you should be allowed to do 70 in their state too even if their speed limit is only 55.
Old 09-06-06, 11:01 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, I am federal LEO and thank god we don't have to deal with stuff like that. I was chatting with Virginia State Trooper here and he too reiterated what you said. But the funny thing is that he mentioned that several people have won cases in the court do to their out of town status when in came to tint. Unlike radar detectors and spend limit, a state tint law is not posted on the highway when you enter a state. So a judge usually just throws it out. But he said 95% of the people just pay the fine. Usually it's the local population that will come to court. He also mentioned that usually they don't pull over people just for tint only.
Old 09-07-06, 04:35 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of tint..... Nate are you a daddy yet?
Old 09-07-06, 02:26 PM
Suspect7
Rookie

Originally Posted by nate579
I was chatting with Virginia State Trooper here and he too reiterated what you said. But the funny thing is that he mentioned that several people have won cases in the court do to their out of town status when in came to tint. Unlike radar detectors and spend limit, a state tint law is not posted on the highway when you enter a state. So a judge usually just throws it out.
Thats good information to know, I never really thought about the fact that it wasnt posted being a way for out-of-staters to get around that law in court, good info, thanks!