NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

For those of you going to Lexfest next month, be aware.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 08:12 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default For those of you going to Lexfest next month, be aware.....

Just thought I would give you guys a little heads up information. While driving through Georgia in my truck I have been noticing an unusual amount of cars being pulled over. Most of them had tints on the windows. Really thought nothing of it, but found this thread in the Southeast forum and so it all makes sense to me now. Just be careful. GA. State Patrol aint playin, and I never thought I would say this, are starting to be worse than VA State troopers. Here's the thread.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233471
Old 08-20-06, 04:54 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if I go all I gotsta do is throw the front two down. what the hell is up with cops this year? I got stopped and was told to take the tint off my back windows which are exempt. My friend the other day got stopped by county police in his wrx and cop wrote him for his tint even though the cop had to deal with two dwi's already.

Not to mention, I got stopped by a bridge/tunnel cop going thru a toll and cited for one of my two illegal windows. Cop gave me a break he said.

Last edited by 1loudLX; 08-20-06 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-20-06, 05:09 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Verify, if that state have juridiction over another state laws. On several cases 1 state cannot enforce the laws of another state. For example, Ga can't enforce the law of a virginia if that vehicle is registered in virginia. Let's say your tint is legal in say Texas and your vehicle is registered there, can Ga. or Va. give you ticket for having a too dark tint in their state. I don't think so.
But in the case of Virginia enforcing laws of DC and Md, I have heard there are signed agreements between the jurisdicitions. I am currently checking to get a copy of this (agreement). If found to be not true, it can be contested in court. I guess catching robbers, muggers and killers are not as important as a dark tinted car. But I do understand, officer safety in the manner of approaching a tinted car. I have my windows down when being approached by a officer, that way he won't feel threatened.
Old 08-20-06, 05:37 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Verify, if that state have juridiction over another state laws. On several cases 1 state cannot enforce the laws of another state. For example, Ga can't enforce the law of a virginia if that vehicle is registered in virginia. Let's say your tint is legal in say Texas and your vehicle is registered there, can Ga. or Va. give you ticket for having a too dark tint in their state. I don't think so.
But in the case of Virginia enforcing laws of DC and Md, I have heard there are signed agreements between the jurisdicitions. I am currently checking to get a copy of this (agreement). If found to be not true, it can be contested in court. I guess catching robbers, muggers and killers are not as important as a dark tinted car. But I do understand, officer safety in the manner of approaching a tinted car. I have my windows down when being approached by a officer, that way he won't feel threatened.
Old 08-20-06, 07:03 AM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

My car is registered in ga. Clayton county. And they def dont play. You will get locked up just cuz were new yorkers. I have 20% tint and have never been pulled over while going back and forth. Just dont b stupid and do 90mph. If its 65 limit do 80 tops in the middle lane or far right. Yea that right. I never ever stay in the left lane. Thats what the cops gun for. They radar ppl in the far left lane. Ive flew by cops in the right lane and i dont get pulled ova. In ga da speed limit is 70mph untill u get to the atlanta metro area which is 55. but thats when the lanes open up to like 7 and you have the hov lane.... there is no place for cops to hide so u can get away doin 75 in the left lane. I mite go down dere for lexfest... whos tryna go? we can crash at my house down there or sumthin
Old 08-20-06, 08:27 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Oh no, this can't be good for me. I have 20% tint all around with a 35% tinted windshield. Maybe by lexfest their qouta will be met (That's a big maybe). Oh well I'll just keep my fingers crossed and my paperwork within reach.
Old 08-20-06, 09:06 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

officer safety? ok I understand that but trukn1 is saying the cops are pulling people over for HAVING their windows too dark.

Why do the southurnahs have ta beat up on all us northern folk? We's just as american as ya'll.
Old 08-20-06, 09:28 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
Oh no, this can't be good for me. I have 20% tint all around with a 35% tinted windshield. Maybe by lexfest their qouta will be met (That's a big maybe). Oh well I'll just keep my fingers crossed and my paperwork within reach.
In your case you might be all right, just dont attract too much more attention to yourself. If you caravan in, then there is already going to be plentyof attention on you as well as the entire group, anyway. As SC300 stated..

My car is registered in ga. Clayton county. And they def dont play. You will get locked up just cuz were new yorkers. I have 20% tint and have never been pulled over while going back and forth. Just dont b stupid and do 90mph. If its 65 limit do 80 tops in the middle lane or far right.
My whole point was just to be careful and definatley be ready for the headache. The traffic is bad enough down there, the extra added harassment will only add to the adventure. LOL!!!!! Down there, you all are victims like me, subject to be pulled over for just about anything at anytime. Happens quite alot for me when I travel through there (DOT INSPECTIONS, RANDOM STOPS, EQUIPMENT CHECKS, ETC..{life of a truck driver}). LOL!!!! All I can say right now is WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!!!!

Last edited by trukn1; 08-20-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-20-06, 10:15 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having my windows re-tinted to 20% this week. I got pulled over in Howard County last week and got a work order Its all good though. It happens when u have a black car with black interior and 5% tint. lol

Its not that dark lmao.
Old 08-20-06, 01:07 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

smitty that es looks sick. I want a black truck!
Old 08-20-06, 01:16 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Da es looks tight man... Yep thats driving black on black while black. Bad combo lol but still should b a fun trip. Ive been up and down 78/85 plenty of times with and without a radar and havent gotten pulled over. Juss gotta look out and watch ur speed. Just be smart on the road. I dont really thing ga is that bad.... I dispise va and nc tho. I do 5 over the speed limit in those states. My brother went to jail in GA for a speeding ticket in NC with a Ga liscence n all. Juss b smart
Old 08-20-06, 01:31 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 361 Likes on 250 Posts

Georgia is one of those states where the driving laws reciprocate. This means a Georgia license holder can get a ticket in ANY state and have it count on their record.

It's not like NY where we only have the tri-state area counting against us (NJ, NY, and CT). If we get ticketed in Pennsylvania, or Virginia, or any other of the 47 states then its only a fine we have to pay. Georgia license holders would get the fine and the points.
Old 08-20-06, 03:16 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

is that the deal with NY? Ive always wondered. Had I know that to be true while i was down in texas the past few days i would have given that mazda6 we rented all it could take and then some.
Old 08-20-06, 04:38 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Smitty...is that a intercooler I see???? what is the deal?
Old 08-20-06, 05:34 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wuttup Guys its been a while since i posted cause ive been away and missing threads but last week i was actually pulled over in NY for my tints, and i only have 35%. The reason i went with these and not 20% was because of this reason.This was the first time i got pulled over in my car for tints. The cop harrassed me like no tomorrow, he had thought i was drinking (which i was not) and made me roll down all my windows, he even came back to my car while in the midst of writing the ticket and told me to shut my engine off.Trukn's right, becareful out there! For some reason the cops are out for tints right now! And not just down there, its everywhere!

Quick Reply: For those of you going to Lexfest next month, be aware.....