NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Viper Alarm, Installers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 01:40 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djjt
so... this new module... err... is there a model number for that particular new model? for a 1998 GS400?
Those are the two model numbers
555x and 555w

I believe they are year specific, the 'x' version is the one needed for your car. I've never heard of the modules going bad though especially since it's for the remote starter, dealers wouldn't bother to install them out of the reprogramming headache that would follow.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 09-11-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-11-06, 01:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my guy says the DEI 555x module doesn't work that well after a certain period of time. customers return to get it reprogrammed
Reprogrammed I wonder how they reprogram a bypass module. Anyway, I've had mine for almost a year and no problems whatsoever. My guy is more expensive than your guy, but he is top notch since my cousin did installations for him before my cousin opened his own alarm shops in Queens and Elmont L.I. Too bad my cousin moved to Florida and closed up shop before I got mine. He would have charged me for the unit alone and do the install for little to nothing. Goodluck with your install.
Old 09-12-06, 01:59 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man congrats on the alarm/starter. I sell Viper and also install them and also have one in my gs430 lol, they are awesome.
Now my opinion on the modules is this, the 556u is the best option. The ring that comes with the module is run up to the key cylinder and actually placed around the whole cylinder, it works perfect in warm weather and also in real cold weather.
Now the 555x is a little tip on the end of the module not a ring and that tip learns your code from your key, you then place that tip near the key cylinder. This is fine but I have seen numerous times when that tip jars loose or backs away from the key cylinder in extreme cold, things shrink when it is extremely cold.
Everyone has their opinion I can tell you from experience that the 556u is the best way to go IMO. We never have people come back with those but we did see many of the others come back.
Good luck and enjoy your new alarm, it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-06, 03:32 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Hey man congrats on the alarm/starter. I sell Viper and also install them and also have one in my gs430 lol, they are awesome.
Now my opinion on the modules is this, the 556u is the best option. The ring that comes with the module is run up to the key cylinder and actually placed around the whole cylinder, it works perfect in warm weather and also in real cold weather.
Now the 555x is a little tip on the end of the module not a ring and that tip learns your code from your key, you then place that tip near the key cylinder. This is fine but I have seen numerous times when that tip jars loose or backs away from the key cylinder in extreme cold, things shrink when it is extremely cold.
Everyone has their opinion I can tell you from experience that the 556u is the best way to go IMO. We never have people come back with those but we did see many of the others come back.

Hey buddy
You got pm!
Old 09-13-06, 06:41 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I have, the ring around the cylinder, works fine like he said.
Old 09-13-06, 06:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeff you always know your stuff Bill and JT you guys should take a trip to his shop. Just 3.5 hours away and worth the trip.
Old 09-13-06, 09:14 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

that's exactly what my installer wanted to do but the prob is this...

i got one key and my mom has the other... and that's all we got...

my key's buttons work... like lock and unlock and what not, my mom's doesn't... its not the battery... the shiz is jus broken. i don't think that matters anyway but...

i don't have a third spare to use!
Old 09-14-06, 05:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

that's exactly what my installer wanted to do but the prob is this...

i got one key and my mom has the other... and that's all we got...

my key's buttons work... like lock and unlock and what not, my mom's doesn't... its not the battery... the shiz is jus broken. i don't think that matters anyway but...

i don't have a third spare to use!
DJ, my guy will make the spare for you, my alarm was done without me giving up a key. He's hard to get on the phone because he does his own installations, let me know if you want the number to try to call him yourself or I can take you over to his shop and you can talk to him directly. He's in Jamaica Qns.
Old 09-14-06, 06:27 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ya man don't worry about losing a key, if the shop is good they can program a 3rd key from your two keys thus you not losing a key