NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

They Tried To Steal My Baby!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:34 AM
DChuka
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They Tried To Steal My Baby!

I came back to my car parked after work on Friday to find the windows halfway down and the door lock destroyed. The thieves emptied the console storage and glove compartment and threw the stuff on the front seats, but that's it! I had an expensive pair of sunglasses and radar detector that they just threw on the seat. The cop that investigated said I was the fifth call they got in 45 minutes.

Based on what the officer saw, he felt they were strictly looking for the valet key to take the car. I don't keep it in the vehicle so they left.

Bottom line though, with the damage done to the door and lock, it's just under $1,000 damage. I was lucky though. About 200 feet away was a 350Z that they broke into and TRASHED the car.

JUST REMEMBER EVERYBODY, DON'T LEAVE YOUR VALET KEY IN THE CAR!
Old 09-05-06, 01:22 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear DChuka. Too many stories like this happening as of late. Question: Do you have an aftermarket alarm with pager?
Old 09-05-06, 07:14 PM
DChuka
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Sorry to hear DChuka. Too many stories like this happening as of late. Question: Do you have an aftermarket alarm with pager?
Thanks for the good thoughts!

The short answer is no for the aftermarket alarm. It wouldn't have done any good I think in this case. I work in the city and parked the car in Harrison, NJ. Even if the alarm paged me, the guys could've sent out for pizza while sitting in the car before I got there. I think the alarm did go off but nobody pays attention to car alarms and they probably knew it. Also, I've been told that the SC430's electronics have problems with aftermarket alarms.

Doug
Old 09-05-06, 07:39 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

but doesn't the immobilizer part of the aftermarket alarm help say if the valet key were in there?
Old 09-06-06, 05:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=DChuka;2106578]Thanks for the good thoughts!

The short answer is no for the aftermarket alarm. It wouldn't have done any good I think in this case. I work in the city and parked the car in Harrison, NJ. Even if the alarm paged me, the guys could've sent out for pizza while sitting in the car before I got there. I think the alarm did go off but nobody pays attention to car alarms and they probably knew it. Also, I've been told that the SC430's electronics have problems with aftermarket alarms.

Doug
I've been told that the SC430's electronics have problems with aftermarket alarms
That is why DEI mad a Toyota/Lexus bybass module for that reason. Without it, some of the cars functions will not work properly and the factory alarm will be inoperative. A good installer should know what to do. You are right about folks not paying much attention to alarms, but theives do not like to attract attention. The moment they jar the car, it will go off. I had my installer add a horn relay to mine so my alarm goes off with the 6 tone siren. Airhorn is another optionto really scare those bastards. Glad it was not worse for you. We had stories of cars being stolen. Good luck.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 09-06-06 at 05:38 AM.