cellphone ticket advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 02:57 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cellphone ticket advice needed

Neloc,
Driving into the midtown tunnel this afternoon while talking on my speakerphone blackberry, police at tolls pulls me over for using cellphone even when I show him that it is on speakerphone mode.
Any advice on this one? Points off?
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 12-22-06, 02:59 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 320 Likes on 232 Posts

its no points because its not a moving violation (it's just a citation, same as a seat belt citation would be) and I really don't think you can get out of it. Just pay the fine and be done with it...even if its on speaker if you are HOLDING the phone in your hand at all (not necessarily at your head) and the phone is activated its not considered "HANDS FREE" lol

you can HOLD the phone in your hand so long as its not activated, for instance you cannot get a citation for dialing a number or checking a text message even...but if the phone is in use you can be ticketed.
Old 12-22-06, 10:22 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with NYLEX. Alot of times I will just prop my phone on my shoulder just under my shirt to talk on the speakerphone when I am in states that are tight with the cell phone law. You think the ticket for you is big,, try $300 for the same offense just because I am in a Commercial Vehicle. I did not receive one of these tickets,, but I know a few drivers that did. There are no points b/c it is not considered a moving violation. Either prop the phone on your shoulder and get it out of your hands,, or join the zillions of people who have that bluetooth headset.
Old 12-24-06, 12:28 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

its probably like $90 unfortunately...
Old 12-24-06, 11:39 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

125 bill... seeing that u were in the city!..... and Raj is right no points
Old 12-24-06, 11:44 AM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way is if you have a second cell phone line under your name that wasnt being used at the time, in that case - just take your phone bill which will list the date/time of all incoming/outgoing calls - I've gotten out of a few these tickets over the last 4 years .......they were all nassau/suffolk county.
Old 12-24-06, 11:53 AM
IS300ED
Rookie

It is certainly moving violation, but just carries no points and a $90 fine in New York City. You can try and dispute it if you want; since you said it was the Midtown Tunnel I'm guessing it was maybe a TBTA peace officer and not a NYC Police officer that wrote the ticket? They have to prove it by clear and convicing evidence, and for this violation, the elements that need to be stated in the testimony are: a.) what hand to what ear; b.) color or description of the phone, c.) person was speaking. So, they more or less need to show you are more likely on the phone than not.

The thing with the bill will not work, I saw it fail for some guy last week at TVB, the judge said how do I know you don't have a second phone? If you haven't gotten these tickets before then I really doubt one will kill your insurance.
Old 12-24-06, 12:11 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

it wont affect insurance at all since there wont be any points
Old 12-24-06, 01:05 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBTA gave me a freaking tinted window ticket!

I should go and ask my mom on this matter, it seems like shes always getting stopped for cellphone tickets. I told her she should have kept her windows tinted.
Old 12-24-06, 11:09 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS300ED
It is certainly moving violation, but just carries no points and a $90 fine in New York City. You can try and dispute it if you want; since you said it was the Midtown Tunnel I'm guessing it was maybe a TBTA peace officer and not a NYC Police officer that wrote the ticket? They have to prove it by clear and convicing evidence, and for this violation, the elements that need to be stated in the testimony are: a.) what hand to what ear; b.) color or description of the phone, c.) person was speaking. So, they more or less need to show you are more likely on the phone than not.

The thing with the bill will not work, I saw it fail for some guy last week at TVB, the judge said how do I know you don't have a second phone? If you haven't gotten these tickets before then I really doubt one will kill your insurance.
Exactly correct. It was a TBTA booth collector. I will be fighting this ticket. Ridiculous for getting a ticket for using speakerphone.
Old 12-25-06, 06:46 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I agree its ridiculous but using it on speaker and still holding is technically illegal, it must be HANDS free when in use, but good luck fighting it!
Old 12-25-06, 08:14 PM
IS300ED
Rookie

TBTA is...umm...not that good at court room testimony, fight it. It is going to depend solely on which one of the 5 judges you get there, what their mood is for the day, etc. The good part is its 0 points if you are found guilty. The bad part is your insurance company can increase you if you have had more than one of these; they'll think it shows you are distracted.
Old 12-26-06, 09:12 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bill i saw you yesterday (not on your cell phone) going down jewel ave...

you are a very brave person for driving down jewel ave!!
Old 12-26-06, 11:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The use of cell phones while operating a motor vehicle is truly being enforced by law enforcement here in NYC. The "he said she said" scenario of kangaroo court as I call it, tends to lean on the side of law enforcement if you are pro-se. This minor traffic infraction is not worth the aggrevation of a day off. Just pay the fine Bill, and get bluetooth buddy Unless you want to pay me 150 to defend you
Old 12-26-06, 05:17 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
Bill i saw you yesterday (not on your cell phone) going down jewel ave...

you are a very brave person for driving down jewel ave!!
Whats wrong with jewel avenue?

Quick Reply: cellphone ticket advice needed