NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

fixing fiberglass lip

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 06:44 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixing fiberglass lip

Anyone know of a place in philly or jersey that can fix fiberglass lips?

i've had my quest front lip with the crack in it for a long time now and i think it's time to get it fixed.
Old 04-13-07, 06:46 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....well hello! hows the GS been treating you? Getting her ready for the summer months?
Old 04-13-07, 06:50 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
....well hello! hows the GS been treating you? Getting her ready for the summer months?
hahaha it's been a long time man.

i've been roaming around the board for awhile but i've been at school so the GS has been sitting at home.

i decided to go home and drive her down to school. she started right up and drove great but the crack in the lip has been bugging me.

trying to get her to look all shiny and pretty for summer.
Old 04-13-07, 07:15 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

where u going to school? btw the sound of your GS is still in my mind.
Old 04-13-07, 07:43 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I go to the University of the Sciences down here in Philly.

haha i love the sound of the blitz.
Old 04-13-07, 07:43 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian, we we're just talking about you the other day. Nice to see you around again. Hit Batmobile up, he might be able to send you to someone in your area. Good luck with the fix.
Old 04-13-07, 07:46 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GREED777
Hey Brian, we we're just talking about you the other day. Nice to see you around again. Hit Batmobile up, he might be able to send you to someone in your area. Good luck with the fix.
Hey it's been awhile man.

i saw the recent pics of your GS. the car's looking great man.

i think i've read that batmobile works at King of Prussia right? Hey man... that's so CLOSE! surprised i've never seen him or his car.

btw... what were you guys talking about ?
Old 04-13-07, 08:08 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you post a pic of your front lip to see what's the damage... there are some spots that i know but depending on how bad it is... this is what most shops told me when i had a crack on my fiberglass front bumper....most shops don't want to do it because being that it's fiberglass and it's your front bumper it flexes while driving due to wind...therefore the bondo that they put on can only take so much before the paint/bumper starts cracking again. it's up to you...i know a couple of spots that will do it for you but will charge out the wazoo but are good shops to take it to but i know a couple of shady shops that would do it for cheap... so shady that i would actually help you take off your front bumper and JUST take the front bumper to them... haha.. it's philly what you expect?

and on that note.... your car around USP... *sigh* watch out for dings and people that can't park... shoulda left it at home pal. need any help or have any questions...i'll be here to help
Old 04-13-07, 08:18 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Batmobile
can you post a pic of your front lip to see what's the damage... there are some spots that i know but depending on how bad it is... this is what most shops told me when i had a crack on my fiberglass front bumper....most shops don't want to do it because being that it's fiberglass and it's your front bumper it flexes while driving due to wind...therefore the bondo that they put on can only take so much before the paint/bumper starts cracking again. it's up to you...i know a couple of spots that will do it for you but will charge out the wazoo but are good shops to take it to but i know a couple of shady shops that would do it for cheap... so shady that i would actually help you take off your front bumper and JUST take the front bumper to them... haha.. it's philly what you expect?

and on that note.... your car around USP... *sigh* watch out for dings and people that can't park... shoulda left it at home pal. need any help or have any questions...i'll be here to help
hahah yeah.. i'm pretty paranoid... i just brought it down this weekend.

i'll probably drive her back up either this weekend or next week.

here's a picture of the crack.

Old 04-13-07, 08:21 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

think it'll be cheaper just to get the tte lip, get it put on and painted?
Old 04-13-07, 08:59 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

that crack looks like NOTHING... haha.. my crack on my fiberglass front bumper was split in half like hanging apart and everything....

it looks as if it's still attached to one another for the most part. can't be that much to fix that... if they're not attached to one another your still going to run into the flexing problem that i was telling you about earlier...

i don't think getting a tte lip will be cheaper but it would probably look good... here's something for you if you were interested....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275194
better hurry before it's gone... he's local too...

oh...how i know this was in the GS classifieds... i keep an eye out for turbo kits... because SOMEONE is thinking about getting it... i wonder who...*cough* greed777 *cough*
Old 04-13-07, 10:12 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

actually.. the bottom of the lip is carbon fiber so that's what's keeping the lip together i think.

the cf really reduced the cracking because the crack is not too bad.

i still wanna patch it together.

you think, even with the cf bottom piece, the lip will still flex?
Old 04-13-07, 10:13 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Greed's going turbo?

ooohhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-13-07, 11:28 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Batmobile
oh...how i know this was in the GS classifieds... i keep an eye out for turbo kits... because SOMEONE is thinking about getting it... i wonder who...*cough* greed777 *cough*
No, he's not...because I'm going to talk him out of it first. By the time you end up putting a turbo on a V8 GS, you might as well just buy an AMG Mercedes and save yourself the headache of the install along with the future maintenance issues to keep it running. And it's quite expensive to turbo a Lexus V8.

So, you'll see Craig in a German sports sedan before he turbos that V8 GS.
Old 04-14-07, 12:37 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KevinGS
No, he's not...because I'm going to talk him out of it first. By the time you end up putting a turbo on a V8 GS, you might as well just buy an AMG Mercedes and save yourself the headache of the install along with the future maintenance issues to keep it running. And it's quite expensive to turbo a Lexus V8.

So, you'll see Craig in a German sports sedan before he turbos that V8 GS.
OK, wait wait........buy a mercedes, YEAHHHHHH thats a greattttt way to avoid maintenance issues.

Greed, if you were considering going turbo, go supercharger. And if Craig thinks of getting a german sports car, get the only true german sports car, Porsche 911...there is no subsitute.

Quick Reply: fixing fiberglass lip