NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Carlisle Aftermath Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 09:34 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Batmobile;2610185]This is for Kwame not sure what he was doing

I thought before we hit the road after eating at Friendly's, it was understood that we were going to let the cars "stretch their legs". Only Sam and I seemed to be the only ones who were actually running as opposed to talking about it (Jimmy). I was doing the quick back and forth thing because I didn't get why you guys were weaving back and forth in between 1 1/2 to 2 lanes while cruising at 70mph when you guys were complaining about the police being out. I was doing it as a what's the big deal with weaving, great you can steer your car in and out of lanes, what about the running. I would think that a cop seeing HID's from 3 to 4 cars weaving in and out of the lanes coming towards me on a fairly open highway would draw just as much attention as running if not more. I thought that was what we talked about after eating at Friendly's, but like I said earlier, it was either a misunderstanding or Sam and I were the only ones in the group actually willing to run.
Old 05-09-07, 09:38 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kwamdoo74

I thought before we hit the road after eating at Friendly's, it was understood that we were going to let the cars "stretch their legs". Only Sam and I seemed to be the only ones who were actually running as opposed to talking about it (Jimmy). I was doing the quick back and forth thing because I didn't get why you guys were weaving back and forth in between 1 1/2 to 2 lanes while cruising at 70mph when you guys were complaining about the police being out. I was doing it as a what's the big deal with weaving, great you can steer your car in and out of lanes, what about the running. I would think that a cop seeing HID's from 3 to 4 cars weaving in and out of the lanes coming towards me on a fairly open highway would draw just as much attention as running if not more. I thought that was what we talked about after eating at Friendly's, but like I said earlier, it was either a misunderstanding or Sam and I were the only ones in the group actually willing to run.
I missed that "stretch the leg" memo. damn, Damn, DAMN!
Old 05-09-07, 09:53 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought before we hit the road after eating at Friendly's, it was understood that we were going to let the cars "stretch their legs". Only Sam and I seemed to be the only ones who were actually running as opposed to talking about it (Jimmy). I was doing the quick back and forth thing because I didn't get why you guys were weaving back and forth in between 1 1/2 to 2 lanes while cruising at 70mph when you guys were complaining about the police being out. I was doing it as a what's the big deal with weaving, great you can steer your car in and out of lanes, what about the running. I would think that a cop seeing HID's from 3 to 4 cars weaving in and out of the lanes coming towards me on a fairly open highway would draw just as much attention as running if not more. I thought that was what we talked about after eating at Friendly's, but like I said earlier, it was either a misunderstanding or Sam and I were the only ones in the group actually willing to run.[/QUOTE]

Yo Kwami, Talk is Cheap Talk is Cheap Looks like we were the only ones ready to hang.Pff and before we got on the road you looked at my rear and said "Oh 250." That didn't mean a thing now did it???
Old 05-09-07, 09:55 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5. Driver discipline and behavior. Have a quick "drivers" meeting before the meet. Explain that you'll be going approximately 7-10 mph over the speed limit, and a little more depending on how the traffic flows. You want to drive "with" the traffic, not "against" it. Explain that folks who go past the caravan leader have elected to send a message that "they want to be on their own." The caravan leader should NEVER EVER speed up to catch cars that have elected to go ahead, as that is their prerogative. It is accepted that folks will break away on their own from time to time to obtain photo shots or capture video. That's fine.

Its advisable that all cars in the caravan drive with their hazard lights on. This helps other cars in the caravan find other members easier on a highway if backed up behind cars entering the highway.

The caravan leader ALWAYS sets the pace and should do so at a responsible limit of speed that is below the threshold of a smoky sitting on the side of a road spraying radar. If traffic on the LIE is moving at 70 mph, the caravan leader should run at 70-72, but never 75 or even 80.

Driving in multiple lanes at the same time, although not advised is also acceptable, providing that once the caravan leader moves back to the center lane with thier hazards on, this indicates that an exit might be coming up and reformation of single line is necessary again. Drivers do sometimes get tired of looking at the same car for the duration of the trip and may want to move around a bit, albeit NOT ahead of the LEADER though. That is understandable.

I have found the best lane for caravans is the middle lane as it allow ample opportunity to exit the highway on either side, if you're dealing with left/right exits. Driving in the left lane can also be done if the caravan leader is responsible enought to set a speed that does not impede passing traffic.

The caravan leader is responsible for leading the folks behind them to their destination at a safe speed relative to other traffic. The moment the caravan leader starts getting into higher speeds, the other drivers have no choice but to follow, and that is when things start getting dangerous and reckless.

I've seen countless posts here about people getting tickets in caravans. I've read the way those were pulled off. Those aren't caravans, those are **** storms.

Explain that if you (caravan leader) signal, that the wing driver behind him needs to immediately signal, along with all the other cars in the formation. Helps to keep drivers behind you informed.

Distribute the contact info sheets and maps at this point. Have a radio check, ensure everyone's cell phone is on and has adequare battery power. The little things always come back to bite you in the butt if you don't think about them.
Caravan rules pal... wanted to set an example of what you should/shouldn't do and still be able to have fun... for some of the folks this is the first time they've caravan with me... I dunno how they drive and they dunno how i drive. didn't want to egg people on and break rules.

next time though... during the day... i'll show you how to get your shine on

(By the way i didn't break any rules this past weekend dunno why SOME people been pointing fingers at me for breaking rules. )
Old 05-09-07, 10:19 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Yo Kwami, Talk is Cheap Talk is Cheap Looks like we were the only ones ready to hang.Pff and before we got on the road you looked at my rear and said "Oh 250." That didn't mean a thing now did it???[/QUOTE]

I can't front Sam, you did your thing. And for you Jimmy, don't bring those rules up because in the "Caravan Rules and Policy" that you happened to bring up say nothing about is wrong with passing the leader. Only that a message is sent saying that they are on their own and that the leader wouldn't speed up to catch them. Wassup, son, I thought you were going to do your thing like we discussed in the parking lot..........I guess we will have to try the next time,....PLAYA (lol).
Old 05-09-07, 10:27 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you guys have fun or not? who cares...
Old 05-09-07, 11:04 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
did you guys have fun or not? who cares...
This was just an inside joke between the "Rookies" (Sam and myself), Jimmy and a few others who were talking about running. Nothing serious......you had to be there....
Old 05-09-07, 11:06 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well, why were you guys "joking" why not actually run?
Old 05-10-07, 01:51 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a short video I put together of the rest of everything I had. Enjoy

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...280189bb2e.htm

-Smitty
Old 05-10-07, 03:47 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Nice vid Smitty.
Old 05-10-07, 04:40 AM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice video Smitty, I haven't even had a chance to get through my footage yet. I'm hoping to have enough to put at least something small together.
Old 05-10-07, 04:43 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys just was tryin to throw together a little somethin somethin.
Old 05-10-07, 04:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Yea nice vid post it in the video/photo thread. Speaking of vids what ever happened to the dvd carlos was putting together lol
Old 05-10-07, 06:24 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well, why were you guys "joking" why not actually run?
Um kinda something like if you weren't there you Really wouldnt understand.

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
Here's a short video I put together of the rest of everything I had. Enjoy

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...280189bb2e.htm

-Smitty
Yo nice video smitty, I had no idea you listened to .Haha j.p
Old 05-10-07, 06:50 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Um kinda something like if you weren't there you Really wouldnt understand.

Yo nice video smitty, I had no idea you listened to .Haha j.p

Yea, nice video Smitty, should repost on youtube, because we have quite a few NELOC on there and it helps ad to the Library. Did you use the software I mentioned? Pretty cool huh?

Quick Reply: Carlisle Aftermath Thread