NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Pit Bull

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 10:06 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
I had this very same problem but with a pitbull with one neighbor and a great dane with another.

The great dane wasn't very territorial but it hated my dog and my neighbor's pitbull. The pitbull was extremely territorial and for some reason they couldn't keep it chained up properly and it would get loose very often.

My dog is a korean jindo dog and they're also very territorial. Korean jindo's are used in the military and police in korea (somewhat like the german shepherd in the states). They're very powerful dogs and are often abused like many pitbulls in the states so they're known to be very violent and territorial if mistreated. There's a larger breed of the Jindo called the Shiba Inu (japanese name for it) or a smaller breed called the Akita. The jindo is the middle size.

But long story short, we'd have the dogs fighting one another almost once a month. The pitbull would usually be the first to get loose, and attack either my dog or my neighbor's dane. There were never any serious injuries.

The neighbors with the dane had enough and eventually moved. The pitbull then only had one dog to pick a fight with. Unfortunately, a few more fights insued with the pit getting extremely hurt in one fight where it attacked my dog.

But since it was the pit owner's fault for not being able to keep it chained up, we weren't responsible for any of the injuries to the pit. He eventually had to get it put to sleep beacuse of the injuries it sustained from attacking my dog. Very sad because I love pitbulls but this one was not in control.

Basically, my dog took care of the problem I guess.

Here's a picture of what the korean jindo looks like. I don't have any pics of my dog but it looks very similar to this.

I'm familar with this breed. Check out a book called Gladiator Dogs. Talks briefly about them. Awsome Breed!
Old 12-31-07, 10:10 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I was once misinformed and misguided as most of the population on the subject of Pit Bulls due to the shock factor media and their slanted stories. This was until my wife actually brought a puppy home from a friend. I figured I would actually educate myself on the breed before allowing my preconceptions get the best of me and towards this animal and I am glad I did.

What I found out was far from what we hear in the media. These are actually considered one of if not the smartest breeds, very lovable, extremely protective, and have very little in way of health issues. We kept him and since then Baxter has grown with our other dogs;2 pugs and a chihuahua with a bad attitude. They all get along great.

I have no reservations with him around by 1 year old provided someone is there as he does weigh in at 65lb of pure muscle. He has never growled or shown any other type of aggressive behavior around known friends/family.

Only twice has he fought others dogs an in both times the neighbors dog came onto my property to start trouble with one of my smaller dogs. The last being a German Shepard from across the street. In both instances Baxter did exactly what he was supposed to do and neither dog was an issue afterwards though they barked from a distance.

They can be made into very capable killers, yes! So can fast cars and even slow cars in the wrong hands. Guns kill in the wrong hands as well. So do knives, wrenches, etc...

If your neighbors dog is jumping into your backyard, what does the fact that it is a Pit have to do with anything? They can jump no doubt, mine can leap a 7' wall as my neighbors and I found out but they were very understanding and all Baxter wanted to do was to play with their dog. Again-raised properly. I have since taken measures to prevent him from jumping the wall. I would do the same if my pugs could scale the wall.

That dog sounds like a problem animal and the owners need to understand the severity of the matter along with the associated liabilities. Did you ever approach them on the issue before going to the Animal Control?

Animal control for the most part do a pretty good job of responding in my experience. I would follow up with them on the issue.

Best bet is to keep your dogs inside until this issue is resolved as yes any dog can be lovable in the right environment but ANY dog can also be aggressive. Pits get a bad rep because they are so ^&* powerful. Rarely does one hear of a pug killing a person or another dog. But...my pugs have killed birds-does that make them evil dogs or qualify for the evening news?

Best of luck on the neighborhood problem, hopefully the owner takes some responsibility and properly restrains the animal to prevent real harm.
I love pits. Great animals. They are so eager to do what ever you want them to...That always seems to be an issue when a bad owner gets a hold of them.
Old 12-31-07, 10:25 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LittleGz
We are proud, responsible Pit Bull owners. You can't judge the breed, you must hold the owners responsible for the dogs actions no matter the breed. Pit Bull's get such bad wraps and it's only because of ignorant, irresponsible, uneducated (meaning research and knowledge of the history behind the breed) owners who don't take the time. All breeds take a responsible owner.

I don't think twice about trusting my pit bull around dogs or children. He adores our kids and all kids. He's loved by my neighbors and the neighborhood kids. Oh and a lot of NELOC members You all know he's a big baby!

Look! Rare1 is gettin' a NELOC beat down and all he cares about is his ball, LOL

Sorry for all the pics but I love my well behaved pit bull!!
Awsome dog.
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.
This is about me neighbor being unresponsible.
If it comes down to myself or family and that dog , sorry he gets it.
And unfortunitly he happens to be to big to wrestle with, about 90lbs.
But the dog being a pit isn't why I'm upset. ( I have canes, most people think their big pits, my insurance company even gave me a hard time.)
It's totally my a-hole neighbor. I've always had dogs , so he'll never meet someone with a bigger heart for animals. But still he doesn't really seem to care enough to take care of it. I know the dog well enough to be able to grab his collar and walk him home. But I've been around dogs long enough to know when three 100lb. animals are scrapping, I don't need to be in the middle.
Please don't anyone take this the wrong way. If you want to judge pits from what you read, I can only hope that, some day you are fortunate enough to get close to a good pit with a responsible owner. That's all it takes to change your mind.
Old 12-31-07, 10:29 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Gorgeous dogs everyone, sounds like you have a real a-hole as a neighbor. Man I cannot stand living next to people like that but it seems every block has at least one.
Old 12-31-07, 10:45 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Big Will, we are not judging you and we totaly get the point of what you are saying. In the end it is truly about protecting your family, period. Since this is an open forum to both members and guests, sometimes with subjects like this, we try to express a round sided view of the situation. A good pit is a loveable animal, as LilGZ has explained, and her dog Murphy is such a loveable, goofy dog to play with it is sick. LOL!!! In fact that was me delivering the beatdown in the pic n the black jeans. In the hands of a bad/irresponsible owner, ANY dog is just as dangerous as a pit. Sorry that you and you family are going thru this. Do what you gotta do to protect you and yours.
Old 12-31-07, 10:48 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Heres Chopper.
Attached Thumbnails Pit Bull-47b7cc10b3127cce98548bc0233a00000027108qbnm7dq1co.jpg  
Old 12-31-07, 10:51 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

One More...
Attached Thumbnails Pit Bull-47b7cc10b3127cce98548bc3a20900000027108qbnm7dq1co.jpg  
Old 12-31-07, 02:16 PM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
One More...
They are so beautiful! I'm sorry you live next door to a complete a-hole! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your babies!
Old 12-31-07, 02:24 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol Tara, does ur pit really sleep like that?
Old 01-01-08, 09:26 AM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
lol Tara, does ur pit really sleep like that?
LOL, Yes especially after he's ben exercised, he was exhausted in that photo. He had just got back from a good work out.
Old 01-01-08, 03:16 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As it has been stated, they can be vicious dogs but it all has to do with how you train them. It all has to do with the owner/trainer.

My brother breeds pitbulls and I've been around them with my kids without worry. The dogs are by no means small either. Here's a picture of some of the dogs he's worked with at a dog show in Virginia.
Attached Thumbnails Pit Bull-va-show-047-small-.jpg  
Old 01-04-08, 06:56 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Update;
Animal control calls the other night , wanted to know if I wanted to press charges...I told him I just want dude to keep his dog under control. So long story short, my other neighbor wants her vet bill paid and she wont press charges. AC said that they would receive a small fine. All it would do would be create more tention. The dog will still get out. It's not a sollution, just a band aid. Not worth it...
Old 01-04-08, 06:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Bottom line, a powerful dog like the Pit jumping a wall and attacking another dog is not a good thing anyway you look at it. I love Pits and I love dogs but I would put it down if it came in my direction with its known aggression. Best of luck to you. Maybe paying a vet bill will get the owner to make some needed changes.
Old 01-04-08, 07:06 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone see this in the news today?

A "protective" family dog yesterday mauled an 8-month-old boy to death as his grandmother screamed in horror, unable to wrench the infant from the Doberman's jaws in the family's Brooklyn apartment.

Andrew Stein, the only child of Paula and Brian Stein, died at Kings County Hospital at 3:06 p.m., about an hour after the attack.

The baby was being watched by his grandmother, Ruth Stein, 62, who lives nearby, building super Leonardo Collado said.

"She told me she was screaming for help," Collado said. "The dog had the baby on the floor [and] she couldn't take the baby away from the dog.

"The dog had the baby on the floor, chewing on his head."

The attack was apparently triggered by the baby touching the dog's paw.

Neighbor Jesus Rivera, to whom Ruth Stein ran for help, bravely grabbed the bleeding infant from the dog's grip, the super said.

Rivera then took the mortally wounded child to his own apartment, while his wife called 911.

When cops arrived, they tranquilized the 6-year-old choco late Doberman, named Maccabee.

"I saw the blood on the floor," Collado said. "The baby was covered with a blanket.

"The dog was banging, scratching the door inside the apartment afterward."

The dog was carried from the building at 71 Ocean Parkway in Kensington in a cage, and handed over to Animal Care and Control.

By last night, authorities had not determined if he would be destroyed.

Maccabee was described as anything but vicious.

"To me, it was protective of the baby," said neighbor Francisco Soto, 24.

"When I see the husband and the baby, my dog and his got along. But when I saw the wife and the baby, [the dog] wouldn't let my dog near them."

The building has several dogs and small children, neighbors said.

One neighbor, Merrie Melman, said Paula Stein is a teacher at PS 230 and her husband, Brian, is an administrator at Staten Island University Hospital.

"He's a nice dog, the family dog," she said. "He wasn't aggressive. It's a terrible tragedy . . . You don't see this dog and say 'Oh, my God.' It wasn't aggressive. It was a gentle dog. I don't know what could have happened."

Neighborhood dog-walker Dahlia Ross called Maccabee "as friendly as can be."

"I would always see the parents and baby," she said. "I would pet him and kiss him and he was always hunky-dory
Old 01-04-08, 07:09 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Anyone see this in the news today?
Horrible stuff all the way around.

Quick Reply: Pit Bull