NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Pit Bull

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 06:06 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pit Bull

Yo how about this. My neighbors pit bull got out ...into my backyard...and tryed FN with my dogs...took a couple good bites, at my female.
Then my male went near it, it turned and ran to my other neighbors... that dog wasn't as fortunate and got bit up pretty good...

This is now a monthly thing. I'm so pissed. My dog is fine. I have two Cane Corsos. Tough animals.
My other neighbor called animal control, filed some report. and pretty much nothing happens.
Old 12-28-07, 06:11 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your neighbor Mike Vick?
Old 12-28-07, 06:17 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing like that. The dog is actually pretty friendly with people.
But hates other animals.
Old 12-28-07, 06:28 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

It sounds like your neighbors Pit is territorial around other dogs. My last dog was like that also. None the less your neighbor is still responsible and as a the owner should cover any medical expense.
Old 12-28-07, 06:35 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

My neighbor is a total mightmare to deal with.
He doesn't give me a hard time but he does everyone else.
I feel bad for his kid.
He has a daughter around 6 or 7. Shes not gonna have a clue when something happens to the dog because her old man isn't being responsible.
Old 12-29-07, 11:49 AM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey somewhat off the subject, how do you like your Cane's? I've been considering either a Cane or a Presa Canario.
Old 12-29-07, 10:09 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Labs only for me! But my ole lab did take on a Pit and won, but he was 50lbs heavier and a trained police dog. God rest his soul. He died last year of bone cancer. Anyway, I don't trust pits around kids period no matter how trained they are. That's why very little security or police departments use them, to unreliable. Plus they are ugly as sin.
Old 12-30-07, 09:53 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pits are wonderful dogs around kids, just depends on how the owner trains them. Yeah, they can be brutal attack macines, but they can also be very loveable members of the family as well. They are very protective over kids, yet very gentle with them too. As Rare1 has quoted in some of his profiles on myspace...
"Punish the owner,,, Not the breed!!!"
Old 12-30-07, 01:31 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I had this very same problem but with a pitbull with one neighbor and a great dane with another.

The great dane wasn't very territorial but it hated my dog and my neighbor's pitbull. The pitbull was extremely territorial and for some reason they couldn't keep it chained up properly and it would get loose very often.

My dog is a korean jindo dog and they're also very territorial. Korean jindo's are used in the military and police in korea (somewhat like the german shepherd in the states). They're very powerful dogs and are often abused like many pitbulls in the states so they're known to be very violent and territorial if mistreated. There's a larger breed of the Jindo called the Shiba Inu (japanese name for it) or a smaller breed called the Akita. The jindo is the middle size.

But long story short, we'd have the dogs fighting one another almost once a month. The pitbull would usually be the first to get loose, and attack either my dog or my neighbor's dane. There were never any serious injuries.

The neighbors with the dane had enough and eventually moved. The pitbull then only had one dog to pick a fight with. Unfortunately, a few more fights insued with the pit getting extremely hurt in one fight where it attacked my dog.

But since it was the pit owner's fault for not being able to keep it chained up, we weren't responsible for any of the injuries to the pit. He eventually had to get it put to sleep beacuse of the injuries it sustained from attacking my dog. Very sad because I love pitbulls but this one was not in control.

Basically, my dog took care of the problem I guess.

Here's a picture of what the korean jindo looks like. I don't have any pics of my dog but it looks very similar to this.

Old 12-30-07, 01:46 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brian,, have always like this particular dog. Just never knew what it was. Beauty!!1 My top choice is still the Alaskian or Siberian Husky.
Old 12-30-07, 02:35 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trukn1
Brian,, have always like this particular dog. Just never knew what it was. Beauty!!1 My top choice is still the Alaskian or Siberian Husky.
Those are some great dogs man! A friend of mine has a Husky and she is a beauty!

I want an Alaskan Malamute.
Old 12-30-07, 04:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was once misinformed and misguided as most of the population on the subject of Pit Bulls due to the shock factor media and their slanted stories. This was until my wife actually brought a puppy home from a friend. I figured I would actually educate myself on the breed before allowing my preconceptions get the best of me and towards this animal and I am glad I did.

What I found out was far from what we hear in the media. These are actually considered one of if not the smartest breeds, very lovable, extremely protective, and have very little in way of health issues. We kept him and since then Baxter has grown with our other dogs;2 pugs and a chihuahua with a bad attitude. They all get along great.

I have no reservations with him around by 1 year old provided someone is there as he does weigh in at 65lb of pure muscle. He has never growled or shown any other type of aggressive behavior around known friends/family.

Only twice has he fought others dogs an in both times the neighbors dog came onto my property to start trouble with one of my smaller dogs. The last being a German Shepard from across the street. In both instances Baxter did exactly what he was supposed to do and neither dog was an issue afterwards though they barked from a distance.

They can be made into very capable killers, yes! So can fast cars and even slow cars in the wrong hands. Guns kill in the wrong hands as well. So do knives, wrenches, etc...

If your neighbors dog is jumping into your backyard, what does the fact that it is a Pit have to do with anything? They can jump no doubt, mine can leap a 7' wall as my neighbors and I found out but they were very understanding and all Baxter wanted to do was to play with their dog. Again-raised properly. I have since taken measures to prevent him from jumping the wall. I would do the same if my pugs could scale the wall.

That dog sounds like a problem animal and the owners need to understand the severity of the matter along with the associated liabilities. Did you ever approach them on the issue before going to the Animal Control?

Animal control for the most part do a pretty good job of responding in my experience. I would follow up with them on the issue.

Best bet is to keep your dogs inside until this issue is resolved as yes any dog can be lovable in the right environment but ANY dog can also be aggressive. Pits get a bad rep because they are so ^&* powerful. Rarely does one hear of a pug killing a person or another dog. But...my pugs have killed birds-does that make them evil dogs or qualify for the evening news?

Best of luck on the neighborhood problem, hopefully the owner takes some responsibility and properly restrains the animal to prevent real harm.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-30-07 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 06:16 PM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

We are proud, responsible Pit Bull owners. You can't judge the breed, you must hold the owners responsible for the dogs actions no matter the breed. Pit Bull's get such bad wraps and it's only because of ignorant, irresponsible, uneducated (meaning research and knowledge of the history behind the breed) owners who don't take the time. All breeds take a responsible owner.

I don't think twice about trusting my pit bull around dogs or children. He adores our kids and all kids. He's loved by my neighbors and the neighborhood kids. Oh and a lot of NELOC members You all know he's a big baby!

Look! Rare1 is gettin' a NELOC beat down and all he cares about is his ball, LOL

Sorry for all the pics but I love my well behaved pit bull!!

Last edited by LittleGz; 12-30-07 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 06:21 PM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I was once misinformed and misguided as most of the population is with Pit Bulls due to the shock factor media and their slanted stories. This was until my wife actually brought one home from a friend. I figure I would actually educate myself on the breed before allowing my preconceptions get the best of me and towards this animal.

What I found out was far from what we hear in the media. These are actually considered one of if not the smartest breeds, very lovable, extremely protective, and have very little in way of health issues. We kept him and since then Baxter has grown with our other dogs;2 pugs and a chihuahua with a bad attitude. They all get along great.

I have no reservations with him around by 1 year old provided someone is there as he does weigh in at 65lb of pure muscle. He has never growled or shown any other type of aggressive behavior around known friends/family.

Only twice has he fought others dogs an in both times the neighbors dog came onto my property to start trouble with one of my smaller dogs. The last being a German Shepard that got his &*@ beat out of him really quick. Cops came and everything but as I have full CCTV around my property there was nothing they could do but give the neighbor a mouthful on their own dog. Again he protected his turf, his family, my family-HIS JOB!

People scream PITBULL, PITBULL, SO WHAT!
They can be made in to very capable killers, yes! So can fast cars, so car slow cars in the wrong hands. Guns kill in the wrong hands as well. So do knives, wrenches, etc...

If your neighbors dog is jumping into your backyard, what does the fact that it is a Pit have to do with anything? They can jump no doubt, mine can leap a 7' wall as my neighbors and I found out but they were very understanding and all Baxter wanted to do was to play with their dog. Again-raised properly. I have since taken measures to prevent him from jumping the wall. I would do the same if my pugs could scale the wall.

That DOG sounds like a problem animal and the owners need to understand the severity of the matter along with the associated liabilities. Animal Control I have found are real hounds (no pun) and have always done something in the past anytime I have known them to be called-at least in LA County.

Best bet is to keep your dogs inside until this issue is resolved as yes any dog can be lovable in the right environment but ANY dog can also be aggressive. Pits get a bad rep because they are so ^&* powerful. Rarely does one hear of a pug killing a person or another dog. But...my pugs have killed birds-does that make them evil dogs or qualify for the evening news?
Amen! From one responsible Pit Bull owner to another!
Old 12-31-07, 10:04 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GREED777
Hey somewhat off the subject, how do you like your Cane's? I've been considering either a Cane or a Presa Canario.
I love my dogs. I've had my female for about 11 yrs. When I first got into the breed, I did huge amounts of research on them. I met a bunch of people into rare breed dogs, the Presa is another one of my favs. It depends what your looking for. If your looking for a Presa, check out a place a called Show stoppers. Their in NJ. They were one of the first people to bring them to the states. The Presa has a pretty melow temperment as it gets oldder. And at one point the Presa was considered a pretty potent fighter. This is one big difference in the 2 breeds. Cane Corsos are not fighting dogs, dispite their size, and toughness.

Canes are awsome dogs. They are a bit smaller then the Presas, and a bit more active. The blood lines vary allot so if your looking for one, look into that blood line and see how they were brought up. ( around families, big properties) They do adjust well , great with kids if introduced properly.
Not a first time dog owner type of dog.
I've done allot of work with my dogs. Obedience, Tracking, Personel protection, so I've seen most of the major blood lines over the past 10 yrs.
There are allot of variations in size and type, which goes back to the dogs
origins. The cane comes from Italy, where it was a utility type dog. People in the moutains would need a heavier coated sturdier dog, the people along the coast would need a dog that could weather the hotter climates, and so on.
So this lead to many variations in the breed.
Anyway, if you decide to get one, do your homework, and PM me if I can help out.

Quick Reply: Pit Bull