Carlisle '08 comment, questions,,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 06:35 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ TANTRA

The Burnout....Hopefully Cliff will do what I heard he did last year again! :-D
LMAO, IF I'm allowed back, I'll probably enter the legitimate contest.
Old 01-06-08, 06:38 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hotels right in Carlisle are gonna be higher than those 10-20 miles away. Mechanicsburg is about 11 miles and the rates there are decent for the major hotels. LittleGz and I already booked at Marriott, Mechanicsburg, PA.

Marriott-$149/night
4921 Gettysburg Road
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania 17055 USA
Phone: 1-717-766-9006

This one's closer to Downtown Harrisburg, but a little more expensive.
Marriott -Courtyard Harrisburg Hersey $165/night
725 Eisenhower Blvd
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17111
Phone: 1-717-558-8544
Old 01-06-08, 07:13 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We tried to go the group rate way last year...I even reserved all the rooms with my own credit car, but not this year because it's a big hastle.

If you want to get away from the "crazy kids", I would suggest a hotel further away from the track. I think we're going to look at one of the national chains that offers suites since they tend to be a little nicer.
Old 01-06-08, 07:31 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMark
We tried to go the group rate way last year...I even reserved all the rooms with my own credit car, but not this year because it's a big hastle.

If you want to get away from the "crazy kids", I would suggest a hotel further away from the track. I think we're going to look at one of the national chains that offers suites since they tend to be a little nicer.
The national chains are always a safe bet. That's what we decided to do again this year. It worked out great for us last year. The strip in carlisle is cool if you're in the mood for all that, however after being at a show all day, I like to relax a little.

**FYI for everyone**: That Marriott where I reserved my room was built in 07 so it should be a decent place to stay.
Old 01-06-08, 07:34 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

As a relatively new NELOC member...and one who has heard many MANY great things about Carlisle, I can't wait!

However, the THREE threads currently going on regarding Carlisle '08 is a tad confusing.

I saw the one with registration info...I can't chime in there until I've registered so, I went to the sticky with all the info. I registered and also looked at the recommended hotels. I booked a room for the wife and I at a hotel right in Carlisle.

All set....until I found thread number THREE about Carlisle '08, where folks are talking about staying in Harrisburg, because that's the better place...and it's away from the "crazy kids".

Now, I'm considering changing this reservation but, not until I know the name of the hotel that others are going to be staying at.
Old 01-06-08, 07:40 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
As a relatively new NELOC member...and one who has heard many MANY great things about Carlisle, I can't wait!

However, the THREE threads currently going on regarding Carlisle '08 is a tad confusing.

I saw the one with registration info...I can't chime in there until I've registered so, I went to the sticky with all the info. I registered and also looked at the recommended hotels. I booked a room for the wife and I at a hotel right in Carlisle.

All set....until I found thread number THREE about Carlisle '08, where folks are talking about staying in Harrisburg, because that's the better place...and it's away from the "crazy kids".

Now, I'm considering changing this reservation but, not until I know the name of the hotel that others are going to be staying at.
I stayed about 5 minutes away in Carlisle last year a the Super 8 and it was fine. No crazy kids.
Old 01-06-08, 07:46 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Habious

Habious I booked a room with Rare1 and his wife in the Mechanicsburg area. If you go to the following link: http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/guest/where_to_stay.asp

This hotel is the last one in the "GOLD SPONSORS" section. I look forward to seeing you and your wife out to some more meets this year.
Old 01-06-08, 07:48 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

BernieIS,

Scroll wheel is your friend....I didn't even see those! I saw the first 4 and figured that was it! Oops
Old 01-06-08, 07:55 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Greg (Habious),let me clear some things up. Hopefuly this helps.
1. Yes there are 3 Carlisle threads.
a. The one that is stickied is intended to be an information thread only, and Leroy and I just didnt want the info to be lost in pages and pages of comments, questions, etc. We made that mistake last year.
b. since we knew that there were gonna be questions, comments etc for thngs we might had missed in addressing, the comments, question thread was created.
c. The last thread for registration is primarily for us to keep track of expected attendance of members who sign up and also to make sure that Carlisle has these members as officially registered. We get a bi-weekly listing, and sometimes they miss a few, which is why we ask for Reg # that Carlisle mails to you on the card.

As far as the hotel rooms, there is nothing wrong with staying near Carlisle. If you can get one close by, great, as this will enable you to get to the grounds a little quicker. This show is HUGE and there will be ALOT of traffic in the area. We normally establish a pre-meet area just outside of the grounds too, so dont worry,, as long as you have my #, you will not be lost. With the crowd expectancy in the area for that weekend, some of us prefer to travel a few minutes further to not be in the mainstream of the activity. This is prety much all that some of us are saying. Am pretty sure that a good grouping of us will probably stay in the Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg area, but the offset is a few minutes drive to the grounds. Call me if you need any further assistance, or just toss your question up here, as you did.
Old 01-06-08, 10:05 PM
BKGS3
Pole Position

how far is carlisle or harrisburg from nyc?? just wondering
Old 01-06-08, 10:13 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

3-4hr drive depending on caravan leader .
Old 01-06-08, 10:14 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i will be attending friday evening...saturday and most likely into sunday's free for all... where i'm staying i'm not going to know til that date....

but if your planning to be there be there by SAT morning... setup for space in the pavillion is done EARLY.... anyone coming in the afternoon may have a hard time squeezing into the pavillion... with everyone else....

it's going to be exhausting...that morning drive may not be the best idea for some...

we're not the first ones in but i guarantee you we'll be one of the last ones out LOOOONG day representin in that hot sun.... and there is No no no AC...
Old 01-06-08, 10:56 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its closer to 3 hours from NYC. When I saw Carlisle PA on my way back from driving home from Chicago, I knew I was on my last leg. After that, I hit some traffic and was home within 3 hours
Old 01-07-08, 12:36 AM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

This may be a stupid question (yes I know theres no such thing as stupid questions just stupid people) but where are the cars going to stay while at the hotels? Do most of them have garages or do you guys leave the cars at the actual show then take a cab to the hotel?? Thanks
Old 01-07-08, 12:55 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the cars will be driven to and from the show each day.

Quick Reply: Carlisle '08 comment, questions,,,