NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Headlights Issues Again....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 08:54 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Headlights Issues Again....

After going back and forth with the dealer to get the issue with my passenger side headlight resolved (three trips) they finally told me it was a bad bulb after replacing the whole headlight unit. Now a month later and my drivers side headlight is doing the same thing - going off and on. This morning I saw the drivers headlight was out and turned my lights off and back on. This usally temporarily solves the problem and it did this morning. I turn the car off and go to the building only to be told be someone 1/2 hour later my lights were still on. It never occurs to me anymore to look over my shoulder to confirm my lights go out. I guess I am going to start doing that. Well now I have an appt to take my car in tomorrow afternoon and I am mentally preparing myself for a fight......

Was wondering if anyone had any insight on what can cause this.

Stefnee
Old 01-07-08, 09:48 AM
poke_IS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol dang man thats why it pays to do your own maintenance. i have a friend with a 2004 C230 benz kompressor, the dealer smacked her with an 800 dollar REGULAR tune-up bill. 800 hundred bucks for what i dont know, because the car was new with real low milage and no previous problems ;-) shoot one time a dealer tried to smack me wit a $10,500 dollar bill. to replace the transmission and rear diff plus new radio on my 2001 IS300. clearly their was nothing wrong with my transmission and the rear diff could of been rebuilt or replaced with a used one which i did. that cost me 700 bucks and i installed it myself with save me even more money and i fixed my own stock radio ;-)

But yeah not sure what could of caused it maybe a bad relay switch i guess. hopefully the dealer didnt purposely screw your car up when you got it back cause sometimes they do that to keep you coming back ;-(

Last edited by poke_IS300; 01-07-08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 10:13 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had that issue. The bulb will turn on but eventually go off afterwards and if you turn it off and back on it will do the same thing again.

This is a sign that your bulbs are basically on their last leg and you just need to replace them.
Old 01-07-08, 10:31 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but she said the replaced it. this could be a ballast problem.
Old 01-07-08, 10:33 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stefnee
After going back and forth with the dealer to get the issue with my passenger side headlight resolved (three trips) they finally told me it was a bad bulb after replacing the whole headlight unit. Now a month later and my drivers side headlight is doing the same thing - going off and on.
Originally it was the passenger now the issue is the driver... read bro
Old 01-07-08, 11:21 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

i no no how
Old 01-07-08, 11:50 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by excluesive
i no no how

Hey Chris, I see you don't know how to write either or your stuttering. LMAO.
Old 01-07-08, 12:25 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

After going back and forth with the dealer to get the issue with my passenger side headlight resolved (three trips) they finally told me it was a bad bulb after replacing the whole headlight unit. Now a month later and my drivers side headlight is doing the same thing - going off and on. This morning I saw the drivers headlight was out and turned my lights off and back on. This usally temporarily solves the problem and it did this morning. I turn the car off and go to the building only to be told be someone 1/2 hour later my lights were still on. It never occurs to me anymore to look over my shoulder to confirm my lights go out. I guess I am going to start doing that. Well now I have an appt to take my car in tomorrow afternoon and I am mentally preparing myself for a fight......

Was wondering if anyone had any insight on what can cause this.

Stefnee
We have a member with the name "kipod". I am almost positive he is a service writer at lexus of rockville (he works at the dealer atleast). If that is close to you send him a PM, maybe he can be of better help to you considering you are "family"
Old 01-07-08, 12:25 PM
stefnee
Driver

Thanks. You would think that the dealership would know this little tid bit. They could have prevented multiple trips from Mclean, VA to Annapolis, MD to fix the passenger side light. Would this also effect the headlights going out automatically?
Old 01-07-08, 12:30 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

If your bulbs about to go, yes. Are both going out or just the driver side?
Old 01-07-08, 12:48 PM
stefnee
Driver

Default Drivers side

This morning after turning the lights on and off, both lights stayed on. Before the dealership replaced the passenger side bulb, they replaced the whole headlight assembly (clear bra included) before they realized it was the bulb. BTW, how much does a bulb cost and can I do it myself?
Old 01-08-08, 08:04 PM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know for sure when i turn off my vehicle the lights will turn off within a minute. but if i turn off my vehicle and turn the lights off and turn them back on they will not turn off automatically.
Old 01-08-08, 08:12 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

This morning after turning the lights on and off, both lights stayed on. Before the dealership replaced the passenger side bulb, they replaced the whole headlight assembly (clear bra included) before they realized it was the bulb. BTW, how much does a bulb cost and can I do it myself?
A set of bulbs here in NYC run for about $65 for the HID's. It also depends which ones. It's not hard to replace the bulbs, you just have to be careful not to touch the actual bulb with your hands.
Old 01-09-08, 12:41 AM
stefnee
Driver

thanks for the info. The buld was replaced yesterday. Hopefully this ends all of my issues with my headlights.