NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Need Body Repair Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 08:06 AM
wongste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Body Repair Recommendation

This is a cross post from the general car forum. I am looking for recommendations for a good auto body repair shop. I am also considering the Lexus dealership. My original post below:

My 07 Lexus GS350 was in a collision. Is it better to take it to the dealership or an auto body repair shop? I've never dealt with a body shop in this area (Northern NJ) so I don't really know who has a good reputation.

I got estimates from both and they are nearly identical. Other party's insurance company will be paying so no deductible. The damage is to the front left fender, light assembly, front bumper, and work needs to be done on the front driver door and hood. Estimate is around 3k.

I am concerned about quality of work - fit and finish and precise color matching. My car is a glacier frost mica, which I believe is a three step process.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-08, 11:18 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the other party is paying, just let Lexus do it.
Old 01-25-08, 06:03 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with GSoup entirely! If a third party body shop does a crappy job, you'll have to go back and forth a lot to ensure your car is being handled properly.
Old 01-26-08, 07:43 PM
Mr.Euro
Lead Lap

ask 100plus. his IS was in a pretty nasty collision and he had his dealer repair it for him. took quite a while but came out pretty nice.
Old 01-26-08, 11:41 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but lexus doesnt always do the best job either, they usually just sub it out to another local body shop... just some food for thought.
Old 01-27-08, 05:19 AM
Juangado
Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
but lexus doesnt always do the best job either, they usually just sub it out to another local body shop... just some food for thought.
I agree. when i wrecked my IS the first time i wanted to take it to the dealer. When i get there, they explained to me that they send out there collision work. Theres pros and cons to Dealerships and Private body shops. Personally i would still take it to the dealership and see what they can do for you.
Old 01-27-08, 07:43 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would take it to the lexus dealership. even if it is sent out to a private shop to have done at least when it comes back and you see anything wrong with it you could complain. won't have to worry about color matching much cuz they'll do it for you right. why complain to a shop that has already done the work taken your money etc etc.. which for the most part leads to excuses and headaches from them... when you could go to the dealer... say hey... this is messed up... and the people at lexus will side with you cuz they don't know what the hell's going on for the most part... then they'll send it off to have fixed, whatever it is. and if that doesn't work out... you always have corporate to back you.
Old 01-29-08, 06:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted a reply to your concern here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331779

Get the work done at Rallye Auto Body.