NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Paint Chip, Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 09:39 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Chip, Need Help.

I am looking for anyone experienced with touch up paint & can get rid / coverup a paint chip that I got on my newly painted rear bumper.

I've personally tried using touch up paint before but I failed miserably & now I am scared to come anywhere near my car with paint due to my lack of experience.

I'll throw whoever can help me out $$$ & lunch for the favor.

I had the thought of going to a body shop but I doubt they'd take on something so small of a job.

I need the chip to get fixed up because I was planning on getting my bumpers clear taped this week & I can't do it with a chip there . . what a coincidence.

So yea if you're experienced at using touch up paint or know any shop that'll work with me hit me up through PM.

Old 01-25-08, 09:47 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u need someone that can touch it up, wet sand, then polish. detailer maybe??
Old 01-25-08, 10:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, that's a pretty big chip for touch up. If you're going to go clear bra, I'd suggest hitting up a shot first and getting it done cleanly. Like you said, I've tried touch up paint before and wasn't happy at all with the results and that was just on a small rock chip. You're down to the 'white meat'
Old 01-25-08, 10:18 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Damn, that's a pretty big chip for touch up. If you're going to go clear bra, I'd suggest hitting up a shot first and getting it done cleanly. Like you said, I've tried touch up paint before and wasn't happy at all with the results and that was just on a small rock chip. You're down to the 'white meat'
Yea . . I have no clue how a car could have caused that much damage . . I am thinking it had to have been a garbage can or something that fell over
Old 01-25-08, 11:56 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's not a 'chip', that even looks larger than a quarter. Touchup paint is typically just for pinpoint-sized chips, and tiny scratches. Anything larger, and you're probably going to need some real experienced person or shop to make it "right".

If you're putting on the clearbra, you're going to want it fixed right before you install that stuff. So even if you have to delay the bra installation, get that 'chip' repaired right first. ...else you'll regret it because you'll see it underneath that clearbra all the time.

I know of a few shops around here in MD that could do it, but they all charge quite a bit because they're going to want to repaint that area of the bumper and then blend it in.

Hopefully you can find a deal in NY.
Old 01-25-08, 11:59 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

You can go and ask Junior how much he would charge to spray that if you want.
Old 01-25-08, 12:09 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevinGS

If you're putting on the clearbra, you're going to want it fixed right before you install that stuff. So even if you have to delay the bra installation, get that 'chip' repaired right first. ...else you'll regret it because you'll see it underneath that clearbra all the time.
Yea theres no way I'd have the bumper clear taped with that there, thats why I am delaying having the clear tape put on.

I called up the shop I usually go to & described it to him, even said its the size of a quarter . . he responded that I have to have the whole bumper repainted or else it will look weird.

I'll dip by the shop sometime this week and see if he thinks its that serious . . I don't see why they can't just respray it and blend it, especially being that the paint is only 2 months old.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 01-25-08, 01:01 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

It's easier to just re-spray the bumper than it is to blend paints and clear coats together, that's why. If you've ever put model cars together and tried to work on something that was already clear coated you'd see. It's a PITA
Old 01-25-08, 01:43 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
It's easier to just re-spray the bumper than it is to blend paints and clear coats together, that's why. If you've ever put model cars together and tried to work on something that was already clear coated you'd see. It's a PITA
I'd rather not spend another $300 to have the bumper repainted . .

I mean I don't care if you can tell from CLOSE CLOSE up that the piece was touched up or whatever but I sure as hell don't want a mad random white mark in the middle of my clean bumper.
Old 01-25-08, 02:37 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sash
I'd rather not spend another $300 to have the bumper repainted . .

I mean I don't care if you can tell from CLOSE CLOSE up that the piece was touched up or whatever but I sure as hell don't want a mad random white mark in the middle of my clean bumper.
Trust me, I can relate but if your body shop guy (that you can trust) is telling you that it's better to re-spray the bumper then it's probably gonna be noticeable. Touch up paint isn't going to match 100% (or CLOSE CLOSE, LOL) so it's going to be noticeable. And then if you slap a clear bra on top, then that's what your car is going to look like for the long term.

But the good news is that using the touch up paint isn't going to make it any worse. So try it, see what it looks like and then if you need the re-spray, you still have that option. But I can tell you know that using touch up paint on an area that big is GOING TO TAKE A LOT OF WORK to get it where it's not noticeable.
Old 01-28-08, 04:23 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you touch it up use a match stick. dont use the brush that comes with it because it will glob and look like **** just dab a lil with a match stick and you mite beable to pull it off
Old 01-28-08, 08:06 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call me and stop by when your free..
Old 01-29-08, 07:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

It's nowhere near as bad as the picture. lol Sash put the camera 2 centimeters away from the bumper to make it look like the Grand Canyon. If someone has experience (and time) with touch up paint, it should come out fine.
Old 01-29-08, 05:40 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a pro with touch up on the bumpers. i live in philly and parking is crazy around here. im sure ny is just the same. its like havin 20,000.00 bumper car lol. i would help you out but your pretty far from me.