NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Independent Lexus Mechanics (MD/DC/VA)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 05:36 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Independent Lexus Mechanics (MD/DC/VA)?

My car is spanking new, but it's never too early to wonder about finding a good independent mechanic. I have heard that the oil change/rotation service at the local dealers runs to $140 -- that strikes me as mildly scandalous, and reason enough to start looking for a good shop early.

Does anyone have any experience with local repair shops?
Old 01-26-08, 09:19 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a lot of us do our own service when it come to the minor things you've mentioned. I'm sure any of us locals would be more than willing to help you out if you're willing.
Old 01-26-08, 11:45 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I found a moon-lighting Lexus mechanic out past Manasas VA on Craig's list. He doesn't seem to be advertsing there now and I don't have any info on him down in Florida where I am now (maybe his garage is too cold in the winter). There are several listing there now in automotive services/Lexus/Maryland.
Old 01-26-08, 12:57 PM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Leroy,

Thanks -- a generous offer. I actually think I could do it myself (though the hybrid layout of my engine is a bit intimidating) -- though the thought of rotating 4 wheels without a lift is daunting -- such a hassle! [My previous car had different front and rear tire sizes -- no rotating possible!].

Bob,

Yes, found several on Craig's list, some quite promising -- but it's a recommendation I'm after more than an ad. I tried to find the listed mechanics on Checkbook magazine, but to no avail -- their operations may be too small.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 01-26-08, 06:51 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

Welcome to the NELOC section. As Leroy mention above that most of us do alot of our own maintenance,with and without help, but with the HYBRID status of your car, I understand that things can be a little intimidating. We are a very close knit community here and we always welcome newcomers. My suggestin to you is to interact a little with some of the members here and check some of the threads; alot of helpful information here. I would encourage you to come out to some of our local gatherings and get to know some of the members in the area. We always have get togethers, impromptu stuff, and planned events; just check the threads to see what interest you and come on out. We are a very welcoming bunch here. We will also be doing a HUGE REGIONAL gathering at Carlisle this year (Check stickied thread for information), and we invite you to sign up as well. To give an answer to your question, we all have our own "people" that we trust to work on our cars but none particularly LEXUS ONLY. There are some members here who work at dealerships in various positions. If you are strictly a dealer only person, then these are the people that you may want to get to know and become friends with.
Old 02-07-08, 12:13 PM
john2008
Driver School Candidate

Talking Good shop and better price!

I have a GS430 and I recently had my car service at American Auto Tech in Chantilly. Their price and workmanship was great. Also, they only use Lexus parts and I can't say enough about the service. It was awesome. I like their waiting room which had sodas, coffee, Internet, and a big screen TV. I also like the fact that the waiting room had glass windows, so I could see my car being serviced. To top it off, they gave me a 20% for being a first time customer.

Anyways, my experience was great and just wanted to share with everyone. Here is their website www.americanautotech.com

John2008
Old 02-09-08, 04:56 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

John,

This looks like EXACTLY what I had in mind. Too bad it's so far from me in Potomac -- but it looks like it may be worth the trip. Many thanks!! Thanks to all for their messages.

Last edited by Marylander; 02-09-08 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 11:20 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by john2008
I have a GS430 and I recently had my car service at American Auto Tech in Chantilly. Their price and workmanship was great. Also, they only use Lexus parts and I can't say enough about the service. It was awesome. I like their waiting room which had sodas, coffee, Internet, and a big screen TV. I also like the fact that the waiting room had glass windows, so I could see my car being serviced. To top it off, they gave me a 20% for being a first time customer.

Anyways, my experience was great and just wanted to share with everyone. Here is their website www.americanautotech.com

John2008
+1 Kudos to Le and the guys @ American Auto Tech

I just had my timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seals, serpentine belt, BG Automatic Transmission Flush and Rear Diff Fulid done by them ... the service was top notch. They are service facility that STOCKS original Lexus/Toyota parts. My car was in from 9:30 - 3. Oh yeah .... they also put me in a loaner for the day an SC430 !

DaveC
Old 02-20-08, 11:39 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This looks like it would be worth the drive. Any body else been there yet? I think my wife's IS is due for a service soon.
Old 02-20-08, 01:21 PM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rare1
This looks like it would be worth the drive. Any body else been there yet? I think my wife's IS is due for a service soon.
Made my 60K service appt.
Old 02-20-08, 01:43 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Don't forget to ask about the First-Time customer discount.

They are MOD FRIENDLY .... they had a modded Vigor on the lift while I was there !
Old 03-14-08, 11:26 AM
Nathan H5
Driver School Candidate

Default New Member

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Don't forget to ask about the First-Time customer discount.

They are MOD FRIENDLY .... they had a modded Vigor on the lift while I was there !
Hi,
I just joined this group. The modded Vigor is mine (silver, w/body kit, badged Honda JDM?). I have know Tai (owner) for many, many yearz. He and I built the Vigor in 2003. Tai used to own Jade Motor Sports in Fall Church, a mod-car specialty shop. We had talked for many yearz about his building the new Lexus shop somewhere out near Dulles Airport. That was done this past January. He and Le and his master mechanic John are the best, most honest people I have ever known. They have installed HID kits on all my cars. Most recent is 16000K deep blue HID for low beams and foglights on my Lexus GX470. The GX is my very first Lexus car. I have always been a Honda man and still own a CRV and the Vigor, all of which I will keep.
Fred
Old 03-14-08, 11:34 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nathan H5
Hi,
I just joined this group. The modded Vigor is mine (silver, w/body kit, badged Honda JDM?). I have know Tai (owner) for many, many yearz. He and I built the Vigor in 2003. Tai used to own Jade Motor Sports in Fall Church, a mod-car specialty shop. We had talked for many yearz about his building the new Lexus shop somewhere out near Dulles Airport. That was done this past January. He and Le and his master mechanic John are the best, most honest people I have ever known. They have installed HID kits on all my cars. Most recent is 16000K deep blue HID for low beams and foglights on my Lexus GX470. The GX is my very first Lexus car. I have always been a Honda man and still own a CRV and the Vigor, all of which I will keep.
Fred
Welcome to group Fred. Please start your own thread to intro yourself and include pics of your rides.
Old 04-24-08, 11:53 AM
howat
Pole Position

Default Great Experience at American Auto Tech

Hi,

It is because of this thread that I brought my sc300 to American Auto Tech (AAT). Visited the website and called the facility and felt it is a place where I'd like to bring my vehicle for maintenance and such.
I found the customer service at AAT to be one of the best I've ever encountered at a automotive shop, if not the best.
Additionally, the equipment, lifts, floor, ceiling, are all very clean. A clean shop, believe it or not, can tell a lot about the quality of the services.
They did a lot of work for me at a great price, since I took advantage of the new customer discount.
Later on, they were willing to help me install a set of rims and tires I bought over Ebay. Outstanding!
Must thanks and respect.

Howat
Old 05-21-08, 05:35 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two Thumbs Up!!!

I just had 2 cars serviced at AAT as well. The first was normal maintenance on the Lexus SC400 to have timing belt, cam seals, and everything else behind the the t-belt cover replaced. The facility was immaculate the customer service was impeccable and the price was VERY reasonable. Given the amount of work it took them almost the whole day but I wasnt in a hurry and was provided a rental. When I picked the car up it was as clean as when I dropped it off.

On to story 2...while they were fixing my baby I was replacing the pads on my Chevy only to find one of the caliper bolts stripped. I ordered the parts and they were more than willing to help me out and did so at a VERY reasonable price (considering I was in a tough spot) AND put my new pads and new rotors on no charge. To boot...they even washed the car and got all my grease stains off the paint when I was working on it.

If they keep delivering this kind of service they will have a customer for life...they also did a mechanical inspection for me as I asked and found some things that need repair and will work with me and the extended warranty company to help me find coverage.

THEY ROCK

Quick Reply: Independent Lexus Mechanics (MD/DC/VA)?