NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

New Jersey tints...... OY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08 | 04:13 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Default New Jersey tints...... OY!!!

Oh boy, this is starting to become a headache for me. I'm looking into applying tints all around my car except the side mirrors and windshield. I've asked various police officers about the tint law, and they've all said that I can't have anything on the front side windows. This messes up my plan!

What, if any, is the best way to get around this? I'd like to get limo tint, or possibly close to limo tint, all around my car. Any ideas??

P.S. > I know there's topics on NJ regulated tint laws, but I just need some answers to see if there's any way to get around this.
Old 01-29-08 | 04:24 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

lol, NJ law says there can be absolutely no tint on the driver's side windows at all. Don't really see any way around that at all. You can try to get a doctors note but it's not likely.
Old 01-29-08 | 04:44 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

a little trick is, during the day, keep your sunroof open, it allows some light in and diffuses the tint a bit during the day, so cops might not pull you over? worked once or twice for me...
Old 01-29-08 | 05:33 PM
phillygs3

nj sucks with there rules
Old 01-29-08 | 06:36 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
Oh boy, this is starting to become a headache for me. I'm looking into applying tints all around my car except the side mirrors and windshield. I've asked various police officers about the tint law, and they've all said that I can't have anything on the front side windows. This messes up my plan!

What, if any, is the best way to get around this? I'd like to get limo tint, or possibly close to limo tint, all around my car. Any ideas??

P.S. > I know there's topics on NJ regulated tint laws, but I just need some answers to see if there's any way to get around this.
The tinting law is pretty much like that for all states when it comes to your front windows. I've had my 5% tint for years and never got pulled over for it. The slight issue is when inspection time rolls around for my car. I say go for it and say so from my experience. I've been side by side with cops at traffic lights with no problems.
Old 01-29-08 | 06:50 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

good luck man..NJ cops will pull u over every second...
Old 01-30-08 | 09:57 AM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

Its not worth the hassle especially where you live you will be pulled over every day.
Old 01-30-08 | 01:04 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

One way is to tint your front side windows a shade or two lighter then your rear sides and your back window a shade darker then the back sides....The dark shades will carry arround the car and give a darker appearence to the front sides.
I've seen it on some cars it looks goos if done right.
I would stay away from tinting your windshield. Inspection will be a pain in the Ars.
Old 01-30-08 | 01:23 PM
BKGS3
Pole Position

yea man i kno in nyc when i had my accord tinted i use to get pulled over left and right for the tints...the rear were 35% and front were 45% but at night they looked very dark and cops would hassle me all the time about it...and in nyc i was told each window that is tinted is like $60 each something like that but anyways...this is the reason why i dont have my GS tinted but im still thinking about if i should get like a very light tint on the car or not..if u do get tints at night drive with the window opened a lil so light comes in..thats waht i did..but then it sucks when its in the winter and rain -.-
Old 01-30-08 | 03:45 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

I might just do what big ***** suggested. Do the front sides lighter than the rear. Hope this works out good
Old 01-30-08 | 06:30 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

Bad idea because #1 the cops no matter where in nj are gonna pull you over,#2 no disrespect to the p/o's out there....but the idea of a cop pullin me over(as a minority) plus wit tinted windows...oh no...its obviously your choice, but be careful cuz they're out there
Old 01-30-08 | 07:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

You cant get around the law, but I cant say that Ive had problems with NJ cops and my front window tint. I've had 15% window tint for 4 years and been pulled over only once for it (and wasnt even ticketed, just told it was illegal). It doesnt seem to bother cops to much as I drive by them and sometimes even ride next to them without a problem.

Where the problem lies is when you have to get your car inspected every 2 years (my car is still registered in NJ). Unless you know someone at a shop who does state inspection, you might as well rip that tint off before getting inspected because they will fail you. Thats how I was able to get around it 2 years ago, but this year the guy I usually go to, his machine was down which forced me to get my front windows retinted.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-30-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-30-08 | 10:55 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

go to your eye dr. and get a note. They will allow whatever tint your eyes will
allow
Old 01-31-08 | 09:30 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phillygs3
nj sucks with there rules
I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by wowitztai
good luck man..NJ cops will pull u over every second...
I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by JFLACO610
Bad idea because #1 the cops no matter where in nj are gonna pull you over,#2 no disrespect to the p/o's out there....but the idea of a cop pullin me over(as a minority) plus wit tinted windows...oh no...its obviously your choice, but be careful cuz they're out there
As a minority, I've been through it.

If you CANNOT have any kind of tint on the front windows then why do it? Especially since you live in the state.

I suggest not to do it, why go through the hassle? If you get ticketed you have to pay it or fight it. If you fight it, you waste your time fighting it and time = money.
Old 01-31-08 | 11:26 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Guess you guys are right. I'll just leave the windows the way they are, or until I get my badge ;]

Quick Reply: New Jersey tints...... OY!!!