NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Cell Phone Ban While Driving Truly In Effect In NJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 06:35 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cell Phone Ban While Driving Truly In Effect In NJ

Starting this March 1st, it will be a primary offense if the police catch you talking on your cell phone without a headset. $100 bucks down the drain if your caught and convicted of it. From what I've heard so far, it'll be a primary offense since drivers where ignoring the original ban (which was a secondary offense) knowing that they had to commit some sort of other violation to be fined for not using a hands-free while on the phone. Drivers and residents of Jersey already know how much the state's budget deficit is. Tolls on the highways will be going up crazy high at some point soon. With that in mind, I think this ban is something to push revenue up to help with the state's deficit. Many people will probably get pulled over for this. I have a bluetooth headset that I keep in the car and there are times that I'll pull off without putting it on my ear. Next thing you know my cell rings and I end up reaching for my phone and start talking. It happens. Just passing along the info and hope you don't get caught.
Old 02-26-08, 04:53 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

This sucks.
I was on the phone with my boss, and he got pulled over last week, for talking on the cel. in NY.
$100.
Old 02-26-08, 05:09 AM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its kinda a good thing some people can barely drive a car and shouldn't be yapping on the phone. I can't wait for wifey to get one so she can stop running her mouth on the phone.
Old 02-26-08, 05:11 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
This sucks.
I was on the phone with my boss, and he got pulled over last week, for talking on the cel. in NY.
$100.
Could be worse. Look at it this way. The same offense for me doing so in an 18 wheeler is $375 in NJ. Friend of mine got this little gift from DOT(Dept of Trans). So dont worry,,, just dont get caught. LOL!!!
Old 02-26-08, 05:13 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big *****
This sucks.
$100.
This is exactly what state officials want. NY has passed law already and I don't know the numbers but I know many people have gotten caught cause I still see plenty drivers on the cell without a hands-free.
Old 02-26-08, 06:57 AM
FIVEOHinNJ
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

<~~~~ Is counting the milliseconds until 3/1. I cannot wait to start handing out the wood for the countless retards I see on the phone while driving.. Makes me sick..
Old 02-26-08, 07:15 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIVEOHinNJ
<~~~~ Is counting the milliseconds until 3/1. I cannot wait to start handing out the wood for the countless retards I see on the phone while driving.. Makes me sick..
ROFL, you think thats actually going to prevent them from talking on the cell phone? I know from people close to me that they get tickets for it here in NY and keep on doing it. It wont change things sorry
Old 02-26-08, 07:53 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
ROFL, you think thats actually going to prevent them from talking on the cell phone? I know from people close to me that they get tickets for it here in NY and keep on doing it. It wont change things sorry
It's not about changing things, you do it after 3/1 in NJ and get a ticket. Whether or not you chose to abide by the law is on you (and your wallet). NY needs to add text messaging to thier law just as NJ is doing. Too many idiots who think driving is the second or third function to do while they are behind the wheel.

I doubt that FiveOhinNj is sad about anything, it saves NJ officers the trouble for looking for a primary offense (or creating one ) to pull someone over for talking on a cell.
Old 02-26-08, 08:07 AM
Rodneyc77
Driver

I've been hit with this ticket before ($90) in NY... and my car has bluetooth (BT) integrated... I had no excuse...

Just made me turn on the BT function on my phone...

Drive Safely fellas...
Old 02-26-08, 08:49 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

thats good that they did that..cause people dont know how to drive and talk at the same time!
Old 02-26-08, 09:04 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its not great, but its not bad either. Even when people know theres a law saying no handheld phones while driving, people still do it. I got BT integrated in my car, which is good. Best now for people to start getting headsets lol, its better than paying that ticket.
Old 02-26-08, 09:26 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was just on the 12:00 news. They think the woman was talking on a cell phone, go figure:

BRONX (WABC) -- Police say one woman was injured when a car crashed into a McDonald's in Soundview section of the Bronx.

The car crashed through a front window at the restaurant at 1540 Westchester Avenue just after 10:45 a.m. this morning.

Authorities say a woman sitting near the window jumped out of the way of the car, which crashed through the window up to the windshield.

She was not hit by the car but was taken to the hospital for minor injuries.

The restaurant was evacuated, but no other injuries were reported.
The Buildings Department will evaluate the structural integrity of the building.
Old 02-27-08, 05:40 AM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
This was just on the 12:00 news. They think the woman was talking on a cell phone, go figure:
It was worse when a truck hit Arby's fast food between Horace Harding and Utopia Pwky and killed someone.

Also I read new speed limit at certain areas of the Garden State Pwky effective March 1st as well.