NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

WRENCH TIME APRIL 12th! DC MD VA Logistics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08 | 06:05 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by FranchiseB
cool. i dont know what tools ill need, but ill bring the basics (i have a sawzall too).
do we need a spring compressor to do the suspension? itll be interesting to see what we can get done.
I have a spring compressor. I'd bring the sawzall JIC!

Sorry ALI no Welder...
Old 03-27-08 | 11:47 AM
LittleGz
Lexus Test Driver

Wish I could be there but I'll be in NYC on business Damn business trips!
Old 03-27-08 | 12:07 PM
FranchiseB
Rookie

hey guys. just seeing what you think about these parts im contemplating on getting.
i have a apex'i n1 exhaust on the way, and im looking on grabbing up a used set of OBX headers and y-pipe for 250 shipped to me.
are these quality parts? is this going to be a solid setup??
thanks
Old 03-27-08 | 12:11 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

hey guys. just seeing what you think about these parts im contemplating on getting.
i have a apex'i n1 exhaust on the way, and im looking on grabbing up a used set of OBX headers and y-pipe for 250 shipped to me.
thanks
The exhaust is fine. The OBX headers and Y are the same as the HP and Megan headers. There's nothing wrong with the setup, but if you were wondering if there are differences in gains between the OBX and the other aboved mentioned headers the answer is no.
Old 03-27-08 | 01:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

thanks
you will most likely really like that setup. be aware it will be quite loud and you should probably get a high flow cat for that setup.
have you thought about going turbo? because then the headers would be a waste. for that price though you can't go too wrong. if you were buying them new i would say just save some more and boooooost.
Old 03-27-08 | 01:44 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you will most likely really like that setup. be aware it will be quite loud and you should probably get a high flow cat for that setup.
have you thought about going turbo? because then the headers would be a waste. for that price though you can't go too wrong. if you were buying them new i would say just save some more and boooooost.
Boosting an IS aint cheap. On the low end if you buy mostly used parts you'll still spend 15K.

Make sure you get an O2sim for your headers or your CEL will come on.
Old 03-27-08 | 05:45 PM
FranchiseB
Rookie

thanks for the input. Of course ive thought about a turbo, but at this point it just isnt practical for me. id love to have that kind of power, maybe later on.
im goin to start out here and see what happens....
ill keep everyone updated....

btw, where can i find a high flow cat?
Old 03-27-08 | 10:25 PM
beez43
Pole Position

OMG!! is this a frikkin mod day proposal?!?!?!? WOW!!!! anyone installing led puddles? i can help for sure!!! car is being shipped up guys.. will be here end of APRIL!!! WOOHOO!!!!
Old 03-27-08 | 11:55 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

i'l be there but i havent sent the email yet. not sure whats parts im bringing but ill need help with at lest the thermostat and some wheel studs. probably hids, and maybe suspension
Old 03-28-08 | 04:42 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beez43
OMG!! is this a frikkin mod day proposal?!?!?!? WOW!!!! anyone installing led puddles? i can help for sure!!! car is being shipped up guys.. will be here end of APRIL!!! WOOHOO!!!!
Thats whatsup Albert. Can't wait to see it. You should bring it to Carlisle.
Old 03-28-08 | 07:20 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
i'l be there but i havent sent the email yet. not sure whats parts im bringing but ill need help with at lest the thermostat and some wheel studs. probably hids, and maybe suspension
Hey man...please send me that email so I can start staging people and have a good idea who is coming and for what efforts. Not sure about some of these tasks you have and degree of difficulty but bring what ya got and we will se what can be done.
Old 03-28-08 | 08:21 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
I will only be sending out logistics in email the first draft is going out tonight.
RolxuSC400,

Did the info e-mails go out? Because, if they did, I didn't get mine. I'm not pushing since it's still a couple weeks out but, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-08 | 08:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Apex84
Boosting an IS aint cheap. On the low end if you buy mostly used parts you'll still spend 15K.
how did you come up with 15K? Im gonna turbo my SC for less than 5K with new parts that will be professionally installed. IS300 has the same motor.

High flow cat can be bought anywhere online, should be around 50-70 bucks.
check out the magnaflow, they have some nice ones. With the increased air you are flowing you will be flowing more air than your stock cat can handle, meaning it may fail prematurely and definately cause air turbulance along the way. make sure to match it to the size of the exhaust and header piping.
Old 03-28-08 | 09:02 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
how did you come up with 15K? Im gonna turbo my SC for less than 5K with new parts that will be professionally installed. IS300 has the same motor.
5K is about right for a NA-T swap. But if you were to properly build up the motor and include all the parts and labor 15K is the low end. Look over on My.IS and see what the turbo spend. It all adds up.

It's not cheap. $10k for ~400rwhp is getting off easy. That's for the kit and the install.

~300rwhp kit: $5500-10k+ installed
~400rwhp kit: $8.5k-12k+ installed

Then add in(without install - with install):

*Tranny: $1k-10k+ (hope yo have a LSD! ! ! ?)
*Gauges: $200-1500+
*Brakes: $2k-5k+
**Springs/Coilovers: $500-2k+
**Wheels - $1k-$5k+
**Bottom End: $1k-5k+

* is have to have in my opinion.
** is should have but not necessary depending application

I don't think you could do a ~400rwhp kit for $10k. Maybe one of the ~300rwhp kits, but even then I would encourage things that make the car safer before faster.

I would expect to spend an additional $3-5k on all of the other parts required to build a safe car for ~300rwhp levels. I would expect to spend $5-7k for a ~400rwhp application and who knows for more than that. Didn't PP(700rwhp+) have near $40k into his car (not including the car)?

For $10-15k you can build a fast car and keep it safe and reliable
For $15-20k+ you can build one hell of a fast car and keep it reasonably safe and reliable.
For $20k+ you can build whatever you want, at whatever power/reliability you want, but $30k could easily be spent on shooting for 700+rwhp. Safety becomes a lot more expensive as well, with cages and shields, etc.

Last edited by Apex84; 03-28-08 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-28-08 | 09:45 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Habious - Nope this weekend.

NOTE: Sorry to all had a "pet emergency" this week and kinda blew my schedule been tending to the injuries. I will give a summary in an email likely tomorrow. Thanks all for your patience. If this all comes together like I envision and people show up its gonna be huge.

Quick Reply: WRENCH TIME APRIL 12th! DC MD VA Logistics