NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

WRENCH TIME APRIL 12th! DC MD VA Logistics

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08 | 02:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

I am interested in seeing an SAFC get wired in. Can't be that hard.
Old 03-31-08 | 05:32 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BernieIS
Do you have wiring diagram for the car and the SAFC? If so then that is all you need to get it done.
i have it for the safc but i think its in japanese lol
Old 03-31-08 | 06:06 PM
SOHKis
Pole Position
CL Folding 200000

get in touch w/pung (Nless_Dream) on ISfanatics or .net... he recently installed an SAFC-II in his IS. he should still have the wiring diagram on hand

as long as we have the diagram we can get it wired up no prob. i can bring my soldiering iron too if you want

Last edited by SOHKis; 03-31-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-31-08 | 07:06 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Looks like we are gonna have som fun projects!
Old 04-01-08 | 06:48 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Pleading ignorance on the electronic stuff...whats a SAFC?
Old 04-01-08 | 07:26 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Yes!!!

Thank you RolxuSC400; I really thought I was the ONLY person on this board who didn't know what it was.

I looked it up on AcronymFinder.com but, I'm assuming that they're not talking about "Sunderland Association Football Club" or the "South Australia Film Corporation".
Old 04-01-08 | 07:37 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Pleading ignorance on the electronic stuff...whats a SAFC?
Originally Posted by Habious
Yes!!!

Thank you RolxuSC400; I really thought I was the ONLY person on this board who didn't know what it was.

I looked it up on AcronymFinder.com but, I'm assuming that they're not talking about "Sunderland Association Football Club" or the "South Australia Film Corporation".
A SAFC is a piggy back fuel computer that allows you to adjust your fuel mapping depending on the driving conditions during different driving conditions. These are mainly used for modded engines up to a certain point. Turbo motors typically are that point and items such as emanage and AEM are usually used in these cases.
Old 04-01-08 | 07:50 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Wow...cool. wouldn't mind seeing one of those installed/operating.
Old 04-01-08 | 07:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

you can also use an SAFC on a stock car to improve your cars tune.
Lexus likes to let their cars run rich from the factory because its safer for the engine. If you retune your car to a lower A/F ratio (by removing a % of gas from being injected) in certain cases you can gain extra hp/tq and improve gas economy slightly.

the gain is not that significant and BernieIS is right, most poeple use it for turbo, or if the run larger cams, full header->exhaust system, larger injectors, and such...
Old 04-01-08 | 08:11 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Ali,

Is there a downside? I mean other than cost of the SAFC and the installation headaches. Can you damage the engine if you use it improperly?

I'm also assuming that one of these things would void the heck out of my warranty.
Old 04-01-08 | 12:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Ali,

Is there a downside? I mean other than cost of the SAFC and the installation headaches. Can you damage the engine if you use it improperly?

I'm also assuming that one of these things would void the heck out of my warranty.
yes, there are downsides to using an SAFC. You candamage the engine if you use it improperly, which is why you should get it tuned by a professional unless you have experience with it. Most poeple who have an idea of what they are doing use a wideband O2 sensor to tune the SAFC and as long as you stay within your engines acceptable Air/Fuel ratio range you should be fine (The O2 sensor tells you the A/F ratio in real-time).
Some more experienced persons can tune on what you call a "butt dyno", which is just them playing around with it till the engine "feels right".

with a wideband sensor the risk is reduced, because its safe to have a ratio too high (like factory), but when its too low (dangerous) it will show you on the gauge and you will feel your engine stumbling (detonation and such), when this occurs, you just raise it back up a notch. quickly.

warranty... i highly doubt they will approve of it. I would check the sc430 forums to see if its worth it. I know the 1uz sc400 guys get good numbers from doing it, especially with intake+exhaust.
Old 04-01-08 | 12:30 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you can also use an SAFC on a stock car to improve your cars tune.
Lexus likes to let their cars run rich from the factory because its safer for the engine. If you retune your car to a lower A/F ratio (by removing a % of gas from being injected) in certain cases you can gain extra hp/tq and improve gas economy slightly.

the gain is not that significant and BernieIS is right, most poeple use it for turbo, or if the run larger cams, full header->exhaust system, larger injectors, and such...
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yes, there are downsides to using an SAFC. You candamage the engine if you use it improperly, which is why you should get it tuned by a professional unless you have experience with it. Most poeple who have an idea of what they are doing use a wideband O2 sensor to tune the SAFC and as long as you stay within your engines acceptable Air/Fuel ratio range you should be fine (The O2 sensor tells you the A/F ratio in real-time).
Some more experienced persons can tune on what you call a "butt dyno", which is just them playing around with it till the engine "feels right".

with a wideband sensor the risk is reduced, because its safe to have a ratio too high (like factory), but when its too low (dangerous) it will show you on the gauge and you will feel your engine stumbling (detonation and such), when this occurs, you just raise it back up a notch. quickly.

warranty... i highly doubt they will approve of it. I would check the sc430 forums to see if its worth it. I know the 1uz sc400 guys get good numbers from doing it, especially with intake+exhaust.
ah i didn't know all that...

very informative...
Old 04-01-08 | 03:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

they came in this morning...
The cat is for size reference, that and he attacks everything I own
Attached Thumbnails WRENCH TIME APRIL 12th! DC MD VA Logistics-imgp2052.jpg  
Old 04-01-08 | 03:37 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Ali,

This along with any other fuel computer or piggy back computer should definitely be tuned by a professional or someone with the experience to do so.

There is no warranty that will not be voided by the use of this or anyother fuel computer unless it is a factory option or something of the like.

Example: The only thing that I can think of that would be covered by the warranty from the factory would be GM and the Vortec superchargers installed by authorized dealers.
Old 04-01-08 | 03:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

yeah, i believe any TRD parts are also covered by your waranty when installed at a TRD liscensed shop

Quick Reply: WRENCH TIME APRIL 12th! DC MD VA Logistics