NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

***April 6th White Marsh Meet - IMPORTANT NEWS -READ POST#1

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 07:53 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
This is possible, do you have a charger? If not try to jump it and make sure the terminals are making good contact.
They swapped me out a brand new battery under warranty. Just wondered if a small drain could cause this as well or if just sitting was the culprit. I am not even sure where to look for a drain on charging system. The car has been sitting for about 2 months with maybe 1 start or 2.
Old 04-03-08, 08:46 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ALL Lexus' have a very small amount of drain on the battery at all times. One of those hidden gremlins that was never figured out on how to solve. A small drain on the battery, over time will get it to the point of not starting. My car, with me being gone all the time, has sat a considerable amount of time with no start at all and I would return to a dead/low charge battery. I got around this by either just unhoking the battery completely, or by just upgrading to an optima battery(god those things work great,, recently fired up the LS to roll her to a shop after 2 months of sitting with battery hooked,, started right up.).
Old 04-03-08, 09:57 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Baltimore on friday night, with my new niece. i'll drive down to white marsh in the morning, but whats there to do in the reiserstown area?
Old 04-03-08, 10:08 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by trukn1
ALL Lexus' have a very small amount of drain on the battery at all times. One of those hidden gremlins that was never figured out on how to solve. A small drain on the battery, over time will get it to the point of not starting. My car, with me being gone all the time, has sat a considerable amount of time with no start at all and I would return to a dead/low charge battery. I got around this by either just unhoking the battery completely, or by just upgrading to an optima battery(god those things work great,, recently fired up the LS to roll her to a shop after 2 months of sitting with battery hooked,, started right up.).
Tony - Thanks for info. The car had a Sears battery charger attached and I removed it when I got the new battery the first time. I wondered yours or others opinions on potential damage to battery having it hooked up/plugged in at all times and if I should reinstall it.

Also, do you know approximately how long the meet will last on Saturday? is it for 2 hours or 4 hours or until we get kicked out?
Old 04-03-08, 10:12 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
I'll be in Baltimore on friday night, with my new niece. i'll drive down to white marsh in the morning, but whats there to do in the reiserstown area?
Hmmm you can swing by my crib. There will be work being performed on a certain IS I now of.
Old 04-03-08, 11:09 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

fa sho. and u can put on my new wheel studs. i dont feel safe driving with only 3 of them and i cant wait till the install meet
Old 04-03-08, 11:23 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

fa sho. and u can put on my new wheel studs. i dont feel safe driving with only 3 of them and i cant wait till the install meet
You only have 3 studs!!!!!! WTF. I don't have the tool for it and really don't like installing studs the hard way because you run the risk of stretching or stripping the stud. Doesn't happen often though.
Old 04-03-08, 11:55 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apex84
Hmmm you can swing by my crib. There will be work being performed on a certain IS I now of.
Why didn't anyone tell me about the work on the IS
Old 04-03-08, 12:04 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

what tool? i thought u just used a nut to hold it in place while u tighten the bolt? or something like that
Old 04-03-08, 12:04 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BernieIS
Why didn't anyone tell me about the work on the IS
Yeah well with all those parts lying around I figured it was time to install them.
Old 04-03-08, 12:08 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

what tool? i thought u just used a nut to hold it in place while u tighten the bolt? or something like that
There is an actual tool which pretty much defeats the risk of stretching the studs as opposed to doing it the way you mentioned. Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but there's nothing having the right tools.
Old 04-03-08, 01:43 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by Apex84
There is an actual tool which pretty much defeats the risk of stretching the studs as opposed to doing it the way you mentioned. Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but there's nothing having the right tools.
Its called the "wheel stud installer". Manufacturer is Lisle and most local places dont carry it I had been looking for one. Also, are your studs broken? There is a tool for stripped and broken stud removal or I guess there is the old "persuader" too.
Old 04-03-08, 02:49 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OK...getting the SC430 back tonight. I'm in! Rain or shine.
Old 04-03-08, 06:14 PM
orangecar
Pole Position

last time I did it I think we used a bolt to knock out the broken studs and then we just tightened the hell out of the new ones. the process did destroy our test nut though. How'd you lose two studs?
Old 04-03-08, 06:43 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

about a week after i got my car, it rained and i didnt expect my car to be so ridiculous. i left from a light and my tires started to spin, so i take my foot off the gas. a car swerves in front of me so i hit the brakes, but i wear size 13 shoes and i also hit the gas; the rear end comes around and i back into a curb. i switched everything out except the studs bc they looked fine, but over the last 2-3 weeks one broke off, and then another, and now one is loose.

Quick Reply: ***April 6th White Marsh Meet - IMPORTANT NEWS -READ POST#1