NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Deep thoughts,,, Deep thoughts!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 04:31 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Deep thoughts,,, Deep thoughts!!!!

Ok,, have been reading the threads and post for a little while and I also gathered alot of information from the NY roundtable. There are some concerns about threads in this particular forum which has been expressed and I want you guys to know that your concerns are not being ignored, it just is gonna take a little time to adress all of them. Change is coming to the boards, just cant happen overnight.

Anyways,,, I got to thinking because of an interesting point/question which has been brought up in several different forms and I thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys are thinking. The questions that I have are :

1. What brought YOU to the NELOC forum?
(this can be anything; referrals,,found by accident, just saw it,etc)

2. What is it about NELOC that appeals to YOU?
(ie. meets,, crazy people,,, fun threads,, etc)

3. Finally,, what keeps YOU attracted to this forum?

Just thought this was an interesting topic for discussion and I will post my answers in a few.
Old 04-03-08, 05:05 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1

Wow great idea for a thread Tony.

Lets see.....

1. I've been a CL member since 05, but didn't join NELOC til late 06 at the Team Lexus meet. It was kinda by accident. Cherp called the shop wondering if he could buy a TL t-shirt and the next thing you know it turned into a meet. From there I was hooked.

2. Now that I really think about it, the thing that appeals most to me is the over all quality of NELOC. NELOC is all about the quality of it's members IMO. Yeah the cars are what initially bring us together, but the quality of the people behind the cars is what holds us together. I've made some lasting friends that if it wasn't for NELOC I would have never known existed much less hangout with. Friends of mine here helped me with my job search after college, and thanks to that effort I now have a pretty laid back gig.

3 We all want to be apart of something with the potential to be bigger than ourselves. This something doesn't have to be a fortune 500 company, or large independent firm, just our piece of the pie no matter how big or small. It's one of those challenges in life that always keeps you on your toes, but always coming back for more. It can raise your spirits or tire you out, but fun none the less. I keep coming back for this very reason, but now that I know the ropes, I do my best to give back to the NELOC community by referring others, planning well organized meets/shows, and of course helping out with modding other people's rides. I feel as if I have some degree of ownership on NELOC. The same ownership any other person has, but not in a physical since. It's one of those feelings that you can't really put into words, but I believe that anyone who puts something of themselves back into NELOC regardless of how big or small can have also.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by trukn1; 04-03-08 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 05:55 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony why are you thinking?

Just Kidding!

1. To be quite honest I was orginally trying to find out what was going on in the Baltimore/DC area on My.IS or IS300.net and the responses were demoralizing. Apex hit me up in a PM and let me know what the deal was with NELOC, I hit up our bowling meet and from there the cars and the people had my interest.

2. The thing that appeals most to me about NELOC is the people; the cars are an excuse but in the long run the friends that I have made and continue to make. I have been messing around with cars since I was 16(12 years). I can mess around and mods cars with a group or by myself, it is the people.

3. I occasionally get fed up with some of the stuff on the actual forum(down time) but what keeps me here with the NELOC group are the people and the fun we have. Even this past weekend driving up to NY with Tony and Leroy in a rental was a great time. I also love the ability to give back and provide help to my fellow members when it is needed. In addition the local people have been the only people I have met since I moved here in February of 2007 that have been true and lasting friends. It has become no big deal for us to get together to work on our cars, go lock down some local meets, or just hang out and get some foods and drinks.

If there are any visitors that are considering joining you would not be justified in not atleast checking out the group on a trial basis. If you give it a chance you will be hooked, plane and simple.
Old 04-03-08, 06:23 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok,, have been reading the threads and post for a little while and I also gathered alot of information from the NY roundtable. There are some concerns about threads in this particular forum which has been expressed and I want you guys to know that your concerns are not being ignored, it just is gonna take a little time to adress all of them. Change is coming to the boards, just cant happen overnight.

Anyways,,, I got to thinking because of an interesting point/question which has been brought up in several different forms and I thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys are thinking. The questions that I have are :

Just thought this was an interesting topic for discussion and I will post my answers in a few.

1. Whenever I get a vehicle I always Google for forums to become a member they are INVALUABLE for advice and technical support, CL and specifically NELOC was no exception. I lurked in the wings for a while to observe and then went to first meet in March.

2. Well this is a bit long...I was a member of the Greater Washington MB Club and joined because of my love for the car and the commaraderie. Well I went to number of meets even became Concours Chairman then the BS, bureaucracy, political in-fighting and downright evilness showed up. I LOVED Concours and made some good friends and my cars always showed well but it was no longer "friendly" competition and too many rules were bent or inconsistently applied. It became more like "work" and I joined for fun and to relax so I stepped down. I actually looked at rejoining and wanted to attend an event in March (sort of a try before u buy) and was given a used car sales pitch why I should rejoin. They would not let me attend unless I re-upped. I told the organizer and the MBUSA Corp Director of Membership my thoughts and advised I would spread the word. The club became LESS about the people and the car and MORE about driving membership and raising revenues. What appeals to me here its about the CARS, the PEOPLE and having FUN, at least what I witnessed so far. Thats what I want in a club. I realize the NELOC charter is different than MB Club but the HEART should be the same.

3. While I am not as philosophical as Dr. Apex his points are valid. I have another take. There is an old Chinese proverb...The journey is the reward...I simply want to be a part of this clubs journey!
Old 04-03-08, 08:52 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll keep it short and sweet =P

1. Signed up becuase I was looking to buy a lex. The same day i signed up I happened to meet carlos and cherplex. I then met up with todd a few days later out of the blues.

2. People, their cars and meets.

3. Funny pictures.
Old 04-03-08, 09:59 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, gotta look back now:

1. I joined CL by way of the infamous google search. After several months of browsing the 2nd Gen forum, I started looking for some wheels, which brought me to the classifieds. In the classifieds I met Batmobile and pm'd him in regards to the rims he had for sale. He later told me to browse the NELOC section to meet some locals. And here I am.

2. I really couldn't have put it better than Leroy (Apex84) did. The fact that the cars bring us together is cool, but that's definately not the reason why we stick together. The fact that we can hang out and just talk about anything other than cars is great, but to also have friends help you out with ideas or a helping hand with anything shows the level of friendship that can come out of "this thing we call NELOC."

3. I like friendly competition and I see NELOC, as a group, getting more involved in car shows and events. However, and most importantly, this is a place to see what our fellow Nelocer's are up to, and a place to come up with ideas when a meet isn't possible.
Old 04-03-08, 10:12 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Not sure if I'm technically NELOC but I try to post here as much as I can I really want to make it more official and make it to some meets (kinda hard when your in very upstate ny very long drive). What drew me to here was just the fact that I'm on CL all the time and I think Smitty mentioned it once in the es section.

2.The sense of reward from helping out others with their cars. Sometimes here people really do listen to my rants . Also I like seeing what people are doing with their cars gives me ideas. Who can also forget the sense of family .

3.What keeps me here is mostly what appeals to me part of the reason of what keeps me here. Also to see if I can make some meets (maybe one thats not 4 hours away lol).
Old 04-03-08, 11:50 AM
SolTrain99
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

1) I just saw NELOC on this site. I was originally searching for "how to find the VSS wire for an SC300". Then I signed up for Club Lexus. Didn't know anything about NELOC until I went to the Round-Table last week.

2) I have a good amount of close friends. But none of them are into cars like I am. Luckily I found people who not only like cars, but like SC's.
The people and the cars are what appeals to me. I've already met a handful of cool people on here.

3) I love to see what people do with their cars (ie: Mods). I also love the fact that people are willing to try and help you out.

Alvin
Old 04-03-08, 03:17 PM
Mr.Euro
Lead Lap

1. hmm, i guess it was when i signed up for clublexus back in the day( i was drftkng way back), my dad had bought a ES330 and he wanted to know what was good with the car. so i googled lexus and came upon this site, then about 2 years or so later, 100plus(alex) asked me if i wanted to go to alley pond park meet, and here i am.

2. i guess its about how much the people are interested in their cars. its a nice feeling to know that the people you talk to are also as interested in cars as you. the meets are fun lots of funny stuff goes on during the meets.

3. I'd say its really that NELOC is pretty much a social gathering more than a car club. every meet i go to i see tons of different cars and not just all the same. i'm on bimmerforums and its mainly all car talk and it kinda gets boring from time to time.
Old 04-03-08, 05:33 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A little history.................

Alright, I've been a little quiet lately, but it's necessary to weigh in on this one. I joined CL back in 05 and even before that I read the CL forums quite a bit. My first meet was Lexfest in 05, and the first two CL members that I came into contact with were DaveGS4 and KevinGS. Let me tell you, when you spend enough time around their cars, it'll make you forget the AMG you just sold real quick. Anyway Kevin and I became good friends and I had an opportunity to meet alot of other members there also, TLW, nyaristo, engin_ear, just to name a few. As CL moved forward the OG's in the Northeast forum were paving the way for NELOC's evolution. There was controversy over forming another chapter of CL, and for many reasons. Some of the OG's were even against the idea of there being another subchapter. At the time there were a few "clubs" within CL that were causing problems at meets and giving CL a negative image. With this in mind it was not an easy feet to convince CL and several of it's OG members that this not only would work, but, that it would be different than that being represented at the time. For this we owe the founders a great deal of gratitude. As odd as it may seem I even consulted DaveGS4 before joining NELOC, because of the animosity that was being shown towards some of the clubs. NELOC has grown leaps and bounds since inception. Our very first regional meet (SEMA in Philly) consisted of Myself, Gsoup, Smitty, 1loudlx, Ike-Dirty, Batmobile, BrianGS430, KevinGS and a few others. Today most of our regional meets consist of 20-40 cars. Believe it or not even the caravaning has gotten better. Just ask the above crew about the King of Prussia interchange, LOL, it looked like a pinball machine . Many of you are probably getting tired of reading this, and truthfully I'm tired of typing, but I felt that it was neccessary that we understand some of the history behind NELOC itself and not the Northeast forum from which it was derived. It wasn't easy to get here, it took alot of work, but now that we are who we are lets show some pride and have some fun.

Oh yea, I guess I have some questions to answer

As far as the appeal goes, this is a place we can come and be ourselves and enjoy common interests. It doesn't matter where you're from, what you do for a living, or how many mods you have done to your car. To me that's a great thing. We have a diverse group in all aspects, due to this, situations will arise. When they do we have to adapt, overcome, and press on. If you really enjoyed drama that much you would be sitting on the couch watching your Tivo'd soap opera's instead of sitting at your keyboard right now. We all face enough drama in our day to day lives, I don't think anyone wants to get on the internet or go to a meet to find more. Let these things pass, and act as adults. NELOC is what we make it, so let's continue to make it a great place full of great people, oh yeah, and some nice cars

What keeps me here? Well I really don't want to sound mototonous but it is the people. I'm a very busy person in day to day life, as I'm sure many of you are. The people of NELOC are non-judgemental and don't expect you to be a certain way. I for one like being myself, and many of you know, that in today's world, that doesn't always happen. Let this be a place we come to and relax, share information, educate young members, and just enjoy being us. Ok I'm gonna go back to hibernating now.

Last edited by GREED777; 04-03-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 08:50 AM
Scarlet300
Lead Lap

I see this thread is getting "deep"...

I purchased my car last March (2007) and by word of mouth heard of the Mega Meet happening at White Marsh, MD. I went up there on a whim still rocking temporary tags and the rest is history. I was embraced into NELOC and from there consider this group truly family. Which is the reason why I began getting on the NELOC forum.

Everything about NELOC appeals to me. The best saying we have is "You come for the cars but stay for the people". This statement is sooooo true. Everyone brings something to the group and it's such a laid back atmosphere. Truly my best experience. Carlisle got my blood pumping last year which made me change my mind about keeping my car stock. I am still on my journey of modding Scarlet but she’ll get there. Our meets are always fun from taking cruises, to Dave & Busters, BBQs or local photo shoots.

The people/cars keep me "attracted" to this forum. There is NO BETTER PLACE THEN NELOC !!!!
Old 04-04-08, 11:18 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gonna be short because i have alot of work here on my desk but.......

I always wanted the GS so in the process of doing some homework on it, I came across this site. I read alot but never signed up until I actually purchased my GS400 (moment of silence for her....). Back then it was just the NorthEast Forum. My first meet that I went to was at Todd's house and the rest is history...

The stickers... it's all about the stickers

Meeting and interacting with new people who share the same passion for cars.

Of course I can't forget the extended family that I have made here, as being the main reason I haven't gone anywhere. So many memories already (good, bad, funny, shocking, you name it, I 've seen it, been through it or watched it unfold). I also look forward to the new memories I will be making as we continue with "this thing we call NELOC" and so many people that I consider friends and several that I better yet consider "speshial" cousins .
Old 04-04-08, 11:27 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup

The stickers lol
Old 04-04-08, 03:04 PM
BKGS3
Pole Position

1. my godbrother frank was already a member and when he heard taht i got a lexus he told me to join

2. the meets and the crazy people...and also ofcourse all the fun we have...but other then that...everyone is grown up and not childish and all

3. to see wahts new with everyone in the family and and a good way to find out information that i might need to help with my car

Old 04-04-08, 09:47 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased my car last March (2007) and by word of mouth heard of the Mega Meet happening at White Marsh, MD. I went up there on a whim still rocking temporary tags and the rest is history. I was embraced into NELOC and from there consider this group truly family. Which is the reason why I began getting on the NELOC forum.
Folks,, Scarlet is blocking out a tramatic memory here,, she was not embraced by NELOC,, she was kidnaped by us. We literally surrounded her car, ushered her into a parking spot and the rest is history. LOL!!!!

Please dont start with the stickers again. Just find out how many people are gonna mob YOU.

Quick Reply: Deep thoughts,,, Deep thoughts!!!!