NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Creative SC guys with hidden amp mounts needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 05:18 AM
orangecar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative SC guys with hidden amp mounts needed

I'm trying to clean up my trunk and make it a little more clean. But I have two 10s back there and an amp. I just gota rid of my changer now I need a hiding place for my amp so I can dump the box. any suggestions?
Old 04-05-08, 05:55 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecar
I'm trying to clean up my trunk and make it a little more clean. But I have two 10s back there and an amp. I just gota rid of my changer now I need a hiding place for my amp so I can dump the box. any suggestions?
Sorry dont think you're gonna find one. SC owners dont know anything about sound quality. HAHAHAAAA. I'm just kidding. Gotta get in some jokes every now and then. I hope someone can help u out.

-Smitty
Old 04-05-08, 06:21 AM
orangecar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Smitty
Sorry dont think you're gonna find one. SC owners dont know anything about sound quality. HAHAHAAAA. I'm just kidding. Gotta get in some jokes every now and then. I hope someone can help u out.

-Smitty
haha I deserve it after laughing at the idea of you getting staggered wheels.
Old 04-05-08, 06:32 AM
amorphous
Pole Position

Seen a lot of guys put amps in spare wheel area. depends on how big the amp really is if you can mount it there. The trunk lid is also an option just be prepared to keep something in the trunk to keep your trunk up as the amp will kill the weights. And Smitty is right sc owners don't have any space for anything in the car
Old 04-05-08, 06:42 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

haha I deserve it after laughing at the idea of you getting staggered wheels.

Smitty
Old 04-05-08, 07:49 AM
orangecar
Pole Position

I was thinking about mounting it right next to the sub hole and the deck speaker. anyone try this?
Old 04-05-08, 07:59 AM
hb55047
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I placed my larger amp to the left of the fuel tank. I read somewhere about someone taking out one of the access panel on the rear deck creating a sandwich by putting mdf on top and bottom then bolting them together. Then they bolted the amp to the bottom piece.
Old 04-05-08, 09:09 AM
orangecar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hb55047
I placed my larger amp to the left of the fuel tank. I read somewhere about someone taking out one of the access panel on the rear deck creating a sandwich by putting mdf on top and bottom then bolting them together. Then they bolted the amp to the bottom piece.
any pics of your setup?
Old 04-05-08, 09:46 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just hang my amp behind the trunk wall carpet. I put mine infront of the rear wall carpet and it was a prob getting to the spare...
Old 04-05-08, 09:51 AM
orangecar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
I would just hang my amp behind the trunk wall carpet. I put mine infront of the rear wall carpet and it was a prob getting to the spare...
yeah that's my problem now. I don't intend to get a flat but it's nice to know you can do somethign about it if you do get one
Old 04-05-08, 09:57 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that's my problem now. I don't intend to get a flat but it's nice to know you can do somethign about it if you do get one
yeah I feel you.. that rear carpet is strong enough to hold the amp. I have mine in the fron but I plan on putting it behind the carpet. be prepared...lowering that SC + bad alignment= Flat.. you have been warned.
Old 04-05-08, 11:53 AM
hb55047
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all a mess now. But I didnt do anything fancy since I didnt know if I wanted to leave it there. I used some heavy duty velcro from home depot and attached it to the side of the tank.
Old 04-05-08, 10:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

LoL, pretty funny but some of us SC guys are sound junkies.

the hanging of the amp on an mdf board from the rear deck has been done before, there is a thread on it in the SC forums, i have it bookmarked but not on this computer, i will link it on monday. Or I can show you how to do it.

The major problem with doing this is the rattle that will result from it, no matter how much you tighten it and insulate it. also running power wires 5 inches away from the fuel tank make some people nervous.

The cleanest place install an aftermarket amp is in place of the stock amp underneath the cd changer. there is actually a decent amount of space down there by the rear quarter panel, but i havent attempted it myself.

in my last SC I replaced the stock 10 inch with one of those free-air kickers so it would fit without hitting the tank. you can kind of tie the amp up to the side and without any sub in the trunk, the amp doesnt take much space just sitting there. Once again i got frustrated by the rattles, but when i did my install i accidentally took off the ring thats attatched to the stock subwoofer, if you go this route be sure to keep the ring on, it helps reduce the rattles and gives more clearance to the tank.
1 10" sub in the cabin = 2+ 10" in the trunk

Lexus knew what was up when they put an underpowered subwoofer in the cars cabin. any more bass and you need to start dynomatting and whatnot. and if you broke any of the plastic clips off of the rear deck i would recommend replacing them because it will rattle even more (i broke like 3 before i learned how to take it out)
not for the faint of heart. come out to a meet and us Sc guys will help you out.
Old 04-06-08, 05:14 AM
orangecar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
LoL, pretty funny but some of us SC guys are sound junkies.

the hanging of the amp on an mdf board from the rear deck has been done before, there is a thread on it in the SC forums, i have it bookmarked but not on this computer, i will link it on monday. Or I can show you how to do it.

The major problem with doing this is the rattle that will result from it, no matter how much you tighten it and insulate it. also running power wires 5 inches away from the fuel tank make some people nervous.

The cleanest place install an aftermarket amp is in place of the stock amp underneath the cd changer. there is actually a decent amount of space down there by the rear quarter panel, but i havent attempted it myself.

in my last SC I replaced the stock 10 inch with one of those free-air kickers so it would fit without hitting the tank. you can kind of tie the amp up to the side and without any sub in the trunk, the amp doesnt take much space just sitting there. Once again i got frustrated by the rattles, but when i did my install i accidentally took off the ring thats attatched to the stock subwoofer, if you go this route be sure to keep the ring on, it helps reduce the rattles and gives more clearance to the tank.
1 10" sub in the cabin = 2+ 10" in the trunk

Lexus knew what was up when they put an underpowered subwoofer in the cars cabin. any more bass and you need to start dynomatting and whatnot. and if you broke any of the plastic clips off of the rear deck i would recommend replacing them because it will rattle even more (i broke like 3 before i learned how to take it out)
not for the faint of heart. come out to a meet and us Sc guys will help you out.
that's what I'm talking about SC brotherhood. I was planning to hit the install meet but that might not happen if so maybe we can something up nice like.
Old 04-06-08, 08:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah, if you can't make the meet we can do something small on the weekend sometime. I still haven't even put my sub into my new sc because the stock sub actually works for some reason on this one, but I wouldn't mind doing it.
just take your time and you can't go wrong.

when i put the bolts on for the 10" in the cabin, I used those rubber washers for like a garden hose (left over from fixing the tilt steering) in between the metal bracket on the sub and the metal on the rear deck. I felt this really reduced half of any rattles, and left a little gap between the back of the woofer and the rear deck, creating a little bandpass zone.

Quick Reply: Creative SC guys with hidden amp mounts needed