NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Does anyone know whats different in the gs400 and sc400 motors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 10:09 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know whats different in the gs400 and sc400 motors?

ok guys,

does anyone one know what really is the difference between the motors in the gs400 and sc400?

all i can find is that a GS is

-3,969 cc 4 liters 8 V engine with 87.5 mm bore, 82.5 mm stroke, 10.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder

-Power: 224 kW , 300 HP @ 6,000 rpm; 310 ft lb , 420 Nm @ 4,000 rpm

and an SC is

-3,966 cc 4 liters 8 V front engine with 87.5 mm bore, 82.5 mm stroke, 10.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder

-Power: 187 kW , 260 HP @ 5,300 rpm; 270 ft lb @ 4,500 rpm

the gs has 3cc more displacement but the bore, stroke, and compression is that same. i highly doubt that 3cc could be the reason for the power difference of 37kW and 40ft lb. with the gs coming on power sooner also.

so what gives? whats really the difference?

the reason im asking is im considering twin turbo charging the car. ive seen
1uzfe's twin turbo'd but it looks like they are all from the sc. why is that?

yes i know swift racing does a turbo for my car, but im not payin 35k for it. thats insane. if im gonna dump money like that ill just go with a blown corvette motor and call it a day. (which im still considering)

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-08, 10:39 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what i know of the subject and seeing that I have a 1UZFE in my LS, I think you are cross referenccing the motors and getting a little confused. Yes there have been a few, and I do mean a few 1UZFE motors that have been turbo'ed but they are homemade projects. That motor is like the
"sherman tank" of Lexus and therefore aftermarket performance parts for that motor either were not made or just plain homemade. Is really is a very expensive motor to work aftermarket parts for and the cost effectiveness did not merit many to do so, hence the performance dryspell in the 1UZ market.

The SC400 uses the same 1UZ motor that the LS400 used however the difference, aside from weight of the cars, was in the gearing and ECU programming. In most cases, when an SC400 owner wanted to turbo out his car, he did the 1 or 2 JZGTE engine swap and went to work from there. As of recent, the 1UZ motor is finally starting to see it's full potential with engine builders and the potential of the 1UZ is finally being discovered, however the parts are still homemade and not vastly available on the pen market.

Unfortunately, know very little of the internals of the GS motor,so someone will have to chime in on this one.

So bottom line,, you may see a turbo SC400, but guaranteed that motor that he is pushing is not a 1UZ which came with the car. Hope this help a little to clear up .

Last edited by trukn1; 04-08-08 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 11:27 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
From what i know of the subject and seeing that I have a 1UZFE in my LS, I think you are cross referenccing the motors and getting a little confused. Yes there have been a few, and I do mean a few 1UZFE motors that have been turbo'ed but they are homemade projects. That motor is like the
"sherman tank" of Lexus and therefore aftermarket performance parts for that motor either were not made or just plain homemade. Is really is a very expensive motor to work aftermarket parts for and the cost effectiveness did not merit many to do so, hence the performance dryspell in the 1UZ market.

The SC400 uses the same 1UZ motor that the LS400 used however the difference, aside from weight of the cars, was in the gearing and ECU programming. In most cases, when an SC400 owner wanted to turbo out his car, he did the 1 or 2 JZGTE engine swap and went to work from there. As of recent, the 1UZ motor is finally starting to see it's full potential with engine builders and the potential of the 1UZ is finally being discovered, however the parts are still homemade and not vastly available on the pen market.

Unfortunately, know very little of the internals of the GS motor,so someone will have to chime in on this one.

So bottom line,, you may see a turbo SC400, but guaranteed that motor that he is pushing is not a 1UZ which came with the car. Hope this help a little to clear up .
i know alot of people took out the 1uz's and went with 1j's and 2j's. i know all the turbo kits for the uz's are backyard specials. meaning no off the shelf kits. it always seems like they are doing it in the sc400s tho. so i wanted to know what the difference is between the gs400, sc400 and even the ls400 blocks? or is there no difference mechanically and its all in the ecu programs?

examples:
Sc400 twin turbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZcK...eature=related

Celica with 1uzfe twin turbo
http://www.planetsoarer.com/twinturbo/jamiett.html

supra V8 twin turbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-up_UbpcMwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS6yWzaVfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-up_UbpcMwc
Old 04-08-08, 11:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

actually turboing the 1uz is starting to become quite popular, and is actually not that much custom fabrication aside from the manifolds. there are a few people who have done it, and also people have supercharged it. you will need a competent shop to make you some manifolds, or find a shop you can send a spare one too and then they can fabricate it and send it back. aside from that probably fitting everything in the engine bay is the only other thing.

from what i remember the major differences on the engine are the location of the oil pans i think, and the horsepower and torque difference are just differences in the tune and intake/exhaust setup. any slight internal differences will not affect your ability to modify that motor because you will/should be coming up with a whole new fuel tune anyways.

The 1uz is a beast of a motor and although it takes a little elbow grease, it is awesom
e once it is done.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=sc400+turbo
Old 04-11-08, 01:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

another sc400 turbo doin it up big
just saw this one today. looks like he just welded his own manifold.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=328287
Old 04-11-08, 03:26 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The GS is OBD II and the earlier SC's are OBD I when it comes to ecu's. There is also the difference of SC prior to 98 not having VVTi like the GS. I know the 1st gen GS & SC I6 has stronger internals compared to 2nd gen GS I6. Not sure if the V8 has the same issue though. The SC400 and the GS also have different intake manifolds

Last edited by GSoup; 04-12-08 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 03:46 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
and an SC is

-3,966 cc 4 liters 8 V front engine with 87.5 mm bore, 82.5 mm stroke, 10.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder

-Power: 187 kW , 260 HP @ 5,300 rpm; 270 ft lb @ 4,500 rpm

the gs has 3cc more displacement but the bore, stroke, and compression is that same. i highly doubt that 3cc could be the reason for the power difference of 37kW and 40ft lb. with the gs coming on power sooner also.
vvti engine starts on 98 models and up giving them 290hp for the sc400's... i know because i had a 97 lol.... damn me

when i was searching for a turbo or supercharger for the sc4's it was all custom made. yeah not much but that was my 2 cents. hope that helps. lol
Old 04-12-08, 07:31 AM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

from what i have heard that the earlier 1uz's have stronger rods. the later models are weaker.
Old 04-15-08, 06:25 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck with the project Ultra, my friend was considering it but the power gain to money spent was very minimum. And he was willing to spend alot of money! But no matter what the HP gains couldn't be realized as much a 1/2jz swap. But I would love to see a turbo SC400 or a twin turbo GS. Man if I was still single.