NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

how to fight a tint ticket???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 11:49 AM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but then again, an optometrist note will help me get rid of the tickets right? Because I will be going to court showing the note saying that my father needs all his vehicles tinted due to photo-sensitive eyes
Old 04-23-08, 11:51 AM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

from what i searched, there's a DMV form that exempts you from window tint violations if you're accompanied by a physician's note for your vehicle
Old 04-23-08, 12:55 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

like oohpapi44 posted
"The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window"

What he is not taking into consideration an NO ONE DOESSSS! is that all vehicles have windows that already come with a slight window tint. approximately 20 to 25% tint. That is the glass alone. One way you can test this is by bringing the glass half way up and seeing the difference the glass makes to the light. Looks slightly darker through the glass.

Now that you know this before you go to your local shop and tell them you want 30% tint to avoid a ticket take into consideration that 30% plus 20% equating to 50% tint. To put it in a nut shell Tints are not legal in New York. You cannot say you did not know or even that is not your car. You are responsible for the car if you are driving it. Local shops will avoid lawsuits because they will give you the right info. They will tell you that 30% is legal.. and they are right. They always fail to add the other 20% to 25% tint the glass originally has.

I would say Ohhpapi has the most experience on this matter. He is right. getting them removed would be the best bet, at least get a note that states you removed it. If anything find a car that looks just like yours without any tint and take a picture of it and show it to the judge. Obviously don't show the plate on the picture.
I have never heard about having a vision condition to be a reason to have tints on your car. If I was the judge I would say if you have a vision condition wear glasses. Ill give you a legit excuse a skin condition. have to avoid the sun. Skin condition you cannot cover on a hot summer day. So many are forced to get tint window to protect their skin.

Even after all these suggestions it does not always mean the judge will remove the ticket. It is up to the judge. The violation was already committed and its up to the judge to give that courtesy.

Also as far as the Police Officer needing a tint machine to test your window is not true. As long as the cop can testify that he or she was unable to see inside your vehicle that is all they need. Remember Tint window is Illegal in New York and many other states.

As far as the speeding ticket If you have a good enough story then go for it. The only thing that I would say about that is Don't speed. But who am I kidding I love speed
Old 04-23-08, 01:13 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in case any one is interested
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv80w.pdf
Old 04-23-08, 01:59 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

thanks cat, i printed out a few copies of that form also. I think my father would fall under category 3, severe drug photo-sensitivity, he even has custom made eye glasses that cater to his photo-sensitivity issue. and because all 3 of our cars in the household are registered under his name, i can just argue that I was using his car on that day and removing the tint would be irrational due to my father's condition.

I can't go to court with the other 2 rides cuz they're all tinted, my step-mom has 20% all around on her E350 to protect my 2yr old sister from the sunlight and my dad's range has tints from the previous owner as well.
Old 04-23-08, 02:01 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

maybe I can just show up to court with both excuses lol. have the optometrist hook up a statement as well as have my mechanic hook me up with a bs tint removal service receipt. I'll just say I removed it just in case and will re-install the tints once the DMV exempts our vehicles from window tint violation
Old 04-23-08, 03:01 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
.....not reading replies.....

you dont fight it, you pay it.

wrong. never give a court your money when there is a legitimate and easy way around it. rich or poor, there is never a good reason to bend over and just pay a fine that was created purely to create revenue.

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
...getting them removed would be the best bet... Even after all these suggestions it does not always mean the judge will remove the ticket. It is up to the judge. The violation was already committed and its up to the judge to give that courtesy...

not true. tint is a 100% correctable violation in NY. if you have a "fix it slip" (acquired from any local police station by saying "may i please have a vehicle equipment correction slip") filled out by a licensed shop (any auto shop/garage that is licensed to perform NYS inspections) and it is dated before sundown of the first business day immediately following the day you got the ticket and you send the ticket in ON TIME, BEFORE the appearance date shown on the ticket, marked "not guilty" with NO supporting deposition requested and fix it slip included, it gets dropped. no one at that court house has to see you or your car in person, ever. legally it HAS to be dropped. check the violation code on the tint ticket, if you look it up online you will see that it falls within the ny violation codes deemed "fixable/repairable".

if anyone's seriously having a problem with this and it's been less then 24hrs since you got your ticket, PM and i'll explain.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 04-23-08 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 05:52 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we are on the subject, an old co-worker of mine got pulled over for driving on the shoulder. It was on exit ramp off the Grand Central Pkwy going to the LIE east which is packed during rush hour. A highway cop pulled him over for driving on the shoulder. My friend has a good driving record and the cop realized that he was forced to drive on the shoulder to exit onto the 108 St exit or Junction Blvd and no one was allowing him to do so. The cop did not give him a ticket for that but gave him a ticket for his tints being too dark. But get this, it was his rear windows that were only tinted and not the front. He drives a Saturn Vue suv which already came standard with the rear windows tinted just like mostly all suv's and minivans. The cop felt that he still needed to give him a ticket and that's what the cop did. Of course he challenged the ticket and was thrown out in court because the cop didn't show up. Even though the ticket was thrown out , it should have not been written in the first place. I've always believed that tint laws apply to the front windows and windshield.
Old 04-23-08, 08:54 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

very good info upstategs, but apparently i think I'm passed that point, however, I am obtaining an optometrist note as well as a tint removed receipt from my mechanic, which also happens to be NYS licensed inspector. So I have 2 excuses, imma be like "its my father's car, I was using it that day, he is allowed tints due to his extreme vision photo-sensitivity, here's the note. And as a precaution, I also went ahead and got the tint removed at my mechanic shop, here's the receipt." gonna see if this double stab technique will work.
Old 04-23-08, 08:55 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

I also happen to find out that one of the older classmates in my sociology class is also a NYPD detective and he's willing to help me out by contacting cooper st courthouse and hopefully have the DAs hook it up for me.
Old 04-23-08, 09:04 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

dude,...the cooper street station isnt backed up for two years, lol!!

I wish it was...my a** is going there in June for a Red Light ticket :-(

Last edited by trukn1; 04-26-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 06:40 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
wrong. never give a court your money when there is a legitimate and easy way around it. rich or poor, there is never a good reason to bend over and just pay a fine that was created purely to create revenue.
unless of course you knowingly and willfully broke the law in the first place.

Just so you guys know, this forum isnt private. The public can see it, that public also includes people you might have to be fighting in court. Just sayin...
Old 04-24-08, 06:45 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I've always believed that tint laws apply to the front windows and windshield.
depends on the body style of the vehicle. Every vehicle has to follow the 70% light transmission guidelines for the front two windows and windshield, all other windows depend on the vehicle design, IE: SUV, Coupe, Sedan, Convertible etc...
Old 04-25-08, 07:08 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
depends on the body style of the vehicle. Every vehicle has to follow the 70% light transmission guidelines for the front two windows and windshield, all other windows depend on the vehicle design, IE: SUV, Coupe, Sedan, Convertible etc...
Having tints on this SUV really doesn't make it look any better but I dont think it depends on the vehicle.

Old 04-26-08, 01:02 AM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DJ TANTRA
dude,...the cooper street station isnt backed up for two years, lol!!

I wish it was...my a** is going there in June for a Red Light ticket :-(
Are u gonna be there on 6/3?? that's my court appearance date. But I heard from my friends who have had experiences in the past year with cooper st that if you plea not guilty they'll assign you a trial date and that is usually 2 years down the line.

Last edited by trukn1; 04-26-08 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: how to fight a tint ticket???