NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

what the legal tint % in nyc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 02:41 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the legal tint % in nyc?

anyone know the legal tint% for windows in nyc? front and back of course?
Old 05-28-08, 02:44 PM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

From what I understand, its 70% on front driver and passenger, any % on rears. Could be wrong... Think there is a Sticky somewhere regarding this, try searching.

-Mike
Old 05-28-08, 02:52 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

thanks ill look around but im lookin for nyc laws only
Old 05-28-08, 05:26 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nyc is same as ny from what i know.

its 70% on the front sides, it should be the same for the rear sides unless u have a certain style of vehicle (suv, vans, blah blah blah) and i think the rear can be any so long as u have side view mirrors.

u can get away with the rear side being dark, but from first hand experience, it looks corny - just look at my car!
Old 05-28-08, 05:27 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

NYC is governed by NYS Law! As posted earlier, no tint at all on the front windshield. 70% on the front passenger & driver windows. Rear windows and rear windshield anything goes. You can look it up in McKinney's Consolidated Laws of NY.
Old 05-28-08, 05:28 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

70% on the front windows
nothing is legal on the front windshield
any % is legal for the rear windows.

Honestly, you can get away with 45-50% but thats really too light IMO.
You can even get away with 35% as long as you drive with your windows down at night.

Its really a matter of where you are, how you are driving, how nice your car looks and how little tickets the officer has written for the month
Old 05-28-08, 05:43 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

if ur car looks good, it helps u, if u drive a **** box and put black spray paint on the window, u will get bagged
Old 05-28-08, 06:11 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

The law depends if you get caught on the officers bad day or he/she didnt make their quota.
Old 05-28-08, 06:39 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

actually front windshield is allowed to be tinted but restricted only to the top 6 inches, ie the strip that comes factory. The sides are 70% in the front and rears anything goes.
Old 05-28-08, 10:56 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the law from Westlaw. Section 375:

12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.

(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or

(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

(c) Any person required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun and/or any person operating a motor vehicle belonging to such person or in which such person is an habitual passenger shall be exempt from the provisions of subparagraphs one and two of paragraph (b) of this subdivision provided the commissioner has granted an exemption and notice of such exemption is affixed to the vehicle as directed by the commissioner. The applicant for such exemption must provide a physician's statement with the reason for the exemption, the name of the individual with a medically necessary condition operating or transported in the vehicle, the specific condition involved, and the minimum level of light transmission required. The commissioner shall only authorize exemptions where the medical condition certified by the physician is contained on a list of medical conditions prepared by the commissioner of health pursuant to subdivision sixteen of section two hundred six of the public health law. If such such [FN1] exemption is granted, the commissioner shall make a record thereof and shall distribute a sufficiently noticeable sticker to the applicant to be attached to any window so shielded or altered pursuant to such exemption.
Old 05-29-08, 07:39 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WidebodyQ
You can even get away with 35% as long as you drive with your windows down at night.
Very true. I have 35% all around and havn't had a problem. Just at night leave the sunroof shade open so light comes in and makes you visible. As long as they can see the driver they don't bother you. Like others said though the limit is 70% for sides, anything on rear and 6" from the top of the front windshield.
Old 05-29-08, 11:28 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had 20% all around for the last 4 years up until about 6 mos. ago. I replaced both my front door windows through my auto insurance glass coverage because I had really annoying deep scratches since day 1 of owning the car. Now my front door windows are completely clear; I need to re-tint soon but I am afraid that the new tint won't match my 4+ year old tint on the rest of the car.
Old 05-29-08, 11:32 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS430 GUY
Here is the law from Westlaw. Section 375:
(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or
I hope you guys read this closely, it's changed from 'anything goes' on the rear passenger windows. They are supposed to match the front. The good thing is that most cops don't know it's changed either.

Another interesting tidbit of info: You can receive a ticket for EVERY illegally tinted window. It will most likely be thrown out but you will have to spend a day in court hoping to get a lenient judge....
Old 05-29-08, 11:55 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
nyc is same as ny from what i know.

its 70% on the front sides, it should be the same for the rear sides unless u have a certain style of vehicle (suv, vans, blah blah blah) and i think the rear can be any so long as u have side view mirrors.

u can get away with the rear side being dark, but from first hand experience, it looks corny - just look at my car!
so like i said.... u can go less than 70 on the rear windows/rear windshield so long as you have side view mirrors... the law has been this wa since i have started driving (5yrs)
Old 05-29-08, 12:06 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by excluesive
so like i said.... u can go less than 70 on the rear windows/rear windshield so long as you have side view mirrors... the law has been this wa since i have started driving (5yrs)
Chris,

That's what I'm trying to clear up for you.

Rear window and rear SIDE window are not the same. You can tint the REAR windshield any percent you want as long as you have side windows but if you read #3, the rear side windows are supposed to have the 70% limit as well.

Quick Reply: what the legal tint % in nyc?