NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Need a place to live..temp for now

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 09:21 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts
Default Need a place to live..temp for now

I've been trying craigslist, but it seems to me more a waste of time than a useful resource. I've sent tons of emails to their ads, simply to never get a reply.

Anyways, I just started a job in NYC so I'm looking to move in (temporarily) in either a sublet or a share apartment/house in either Queens or BK...preferably in a somewhat good neighborhood, looking for anything in the $600-700/mo range including utilities.

If anyone knows of anybody looking for a roomate temporarily, please forward them my information. I'm looking for something within walking distance to a subway line. I'm going to be working the nightshift 7 out of every 14 days, and I make a good rate working at Citigroup so I WILL pay rent ON TIME. I can provide first month rent up front.
Old 07-02-08, 12:12 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What I suggest in Queens is to go to local real estate offices in the neighborhood you want to live in. That is your best bet in finding what you want.

Where exactly in Queens are you interested in?
Old 07-02-08, 12:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSoup
What I suggest in Queens is to go to local real estate offices in the neighborhood you want to live in. That is your best bet in finding what you want.

Where exactly in Queens are you interested in?
I don't really know the queens area very well, but as far as getting to work easily, something along the E train path (queens blvd) would be best...right now I'm temporarily staying with a family member in Bellerose (Union Tpk and Springfield Blvd.), and the commute is a bit too lengthy as I have to hit the Q46 bus for half an hour + the full length ride on the E train..eliminating the bus ride would be key.
Old 07-02-08, 12:38 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should come to my neighborhood and check the local real estates offices. There are tons of them and I see them with signs for apartments/rooms for rent all the time. Your better off doing the footwork iin the neighborhood your interested in to find it. I see houses/apartment buildings all the time with "For Rent" signs.

I'm located in Jackson heights which leaves you at the 74th Street & Roosevelt Station.

Let me know I'll meet up with you if I have time and show you around.
Old 07-02-08, 01:16 PM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also try Flushing - walking distance to Main Street 7 Line

Jamaica - along Hillside Ave- You can walk to a number of stops on the F Line and then transfer to E if needed.

Woodside, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside - walk to 7 line

Good luck. Also check Newsday paper classified section
Old 07-02-08, 01:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is parking a concern for you? Most places in Brooklyn and Queens dont have enough street parking, and you can spend hours looking for a parking spot after work, not to mention the ridiculous street cleaning regulations.
Old 07-02-08, 02:59 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSoup
You should come to my neighborhood and check the local real estates offices. There are tons of them and I see them with signs for apartments/rooms for rent all the time. Your better off doing the footwork iin the neighborhood your interested in to find it. I see houses/apartment buildings all the time with "For Rent" signs.

I'm located in Jackson heights which leaves you at the 74th Street & Roosevelt Station.

Let me know I'll meet up with you if I have time and show you around.
I know the station, I can catch E or #7 from there, E is easier so that I don't have to transfer at all to get to work. Sounds like a good idea on those real estate offices, I will give them a call and then see if they have anything that is on a month-month basis within my price range. If nothing goes thru phone wise with them, I'll be sure to contact you Carlos.

Originally Posted by ErseOne
Also try Flushing - walking distance to Main Street 7 Line

Jamaica - along Hillside Ave- You can walk to a number of stops on the F Line and then transfer to E if needed.

Woodside, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside - walk to 7 line

Good luck. Also check Newsday paper classified section
I am going to pick up a Newsday tomorrow as well as weekend edition on Saturday to look. Flushing would be viable, but would require a subway transfer (not a big deal, but #7 train is slowww and stops a lot).

Originally Posted by Och
Is parking a concern for you? Most places in Brooklyn and Queens dont have enough street parking, and you can spend hours looking for a parking spot after work, not to mention the ridiculous street cleaning regulations.
I do have my BMW, so I would need a parking spot. I am going to be working nights, 3 and 4 days (alternating) per week, so the car is going to be parked pretty much always while I work. I would only use it on days when I am off.
Old 07-02-08, 03:35 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, do you work in the melville office or in the city? My dad works for citigroup in melville and is database support.
Old 07-02-08, 03:38 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Off topic, do you work in the melville office or in the city? My dad works for citigroup in melville and is database support.
I work in the downtown building, 388 Greenwich St....
Old 07-09-08, 09:55 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also look into jersey city since you're downtown.

E train stations 71st continental and union turnpike/kew gardens area would also work for you.
In this area it would be about 600-700 shared room and about $1k for studios.
Good Luck
Old 07-10-08, 08:48 AM
Mr.Euro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the highest you are willing to go per month. my grandma has a place she may rent out within the month. hit me up on AIM. PM me for my Screenname.
Old 07-10-08, 10:47 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ah i work for the bank too, for like 5yrs now
Old 07-10-08, 10:59 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long do you need the apt? 2-3months? 2-3 Years?
Old 07-11-08, 06:16 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Also look into jersey city since you're downtown.

E train stations 71st continental and union turnpike/kew gardens area would also work for you.
In this area it would be about 600-700 shared room and about $1k for studios.
Good Luck
I've been looking for stuff in Jersey city and Hoboken, no luck yet.

E train @ Union/Kew is where I get on the train NOW. It's a 45 minute ride into my office, not bad at all. But at this point in time, I have to spend an extra 30 minutes on a bus to get to the subway, thats the part thats killing me.

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
How long do you need the apt? 2-3months? 2-3 Years?
as of now, just for 2-3 months preferably something that has a month-to-month rental contract because I'm unsure a) how long I'll have this job and b) I don't want to lock into a contract for 6+ months just to get a new job and have to pay 5 months rent to cover.