NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club
View Poll Results: Which Saturday Works Best?
Sat December 6
100.00%
Sat December 13
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

IMPORTANT UPDATE,,,,,Winter Detail Event MD VA DC,,,POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 04:49 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A suggestion ........

I've been to Mark's meets twice now and you ALL know he is an awesome host. I've also noticed that there are a handful people that show up get stuff done to THEIR rides and immediately get the hell outta dodge.

Based on the old 70's mantra of "Gas, Grass or *** - Nobody Rides For Free" I'm going to suggest that IF you are planning to get your car detailed, that you plan on doing ONE of the following

• Gas = fuel for humans = food = bring some food and I'm not talking about a grab bag of Cheetos from the 7-11

• Grass = money, ducketts, pesos, dubloons = Quality detailing stuff is NOT cheap and if you were paying someone for their time a detail costs upwards of $100. SO if you're coming and planning to get a wash, clay bar, another wash, aggressive machine polish, fine machine polish, seal and/or wax ..... and your planning on asking someone for their chemicals IT WOULD BE NICE GESTURE to slide them some cash.

• *** = move your *** = helping out with at least ONE other car besides your own (i.e. washing, clay bar, drying, vaccuum, interior)

That said, I'll be there with my detailing supplies. I hope to be installing the rest of my speakers and helping others detail.

DaveC

Last edited by BossGS4; 11-19-08 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 06:26 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BossGS4
I've been to Mark's meets twice now and you ALL know he is an awesome host. I've also noticed that there are a handful people that show up get stuff done to THEIR rides and immediately get the hell outta dodge.

Based on the old 70's mantra of "Gas, Grass or *** - Nobody Rides For Free" I'm going to suggest that IF you are planning to get your car detailed, that you plan on doing ONE of the following

• Gas = fuel for humans = food = bring some food and I'm not talking about a grab bag of Cheetos from the 7-11

• Grass = money, ducketts, pesos, dubloons = Quality detailing stuff is NOT cheap and if you were paying someone for their time a detail costs upwards of $100. SO if you're coming and planning to get a wash, clay bar, another wash, aggressive machine polish, fine machine polish, seal and/or wax ..... and your planning on asking someone for their chemicals IT WOULD BE NICE GESTURE to slide them some cash.

• *** = move your *** = helping out with at least ONE other car besides your own (i.e. washing, clay bar, drying, vaccuum, interior)

That said, I'll be there with my detailing supplies. I hope to be installing the rest of my speakers and helping others detail.

DaveC

Thanks Dave...Not the kind of "grass" i was thinkin of but its cool...lolol

I'll put you on the list.
Old 11-19-08, 08:37 AM
camelflage
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Only thing we cant do is de-grease engine bays due to neighbors complaints last time I did this
Old 11-19-08, 12:24 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Hey RolxuSC400, thanks for generously offering your HEATED garage! Man it was freezing last night and I had to do some work in my garage - would have loved some heat!

I will try to attend as I'm not too far away from you. If I can make it I'll bring my PC as well so a couple of people can work on each car to speed things up. One thing that may pose a problem is having enough foam pads for the PC. The pads don't work well after a couple of cars and should be cleaned/changed. So maybe people that want to detail their cars should bring a some pads or pitch in some $$$ so you can buy some? Just a suggestion.
Old 11-19-08, 01:37 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by RacerLex
Hey RolxuSC400, thanks for generously offering your HEATED garage! Man it was freezing last night and I had to do some work in my garage - would have loved some heat!

I will try to attend as I'm not too far away from you. If I can make it I'll bring my PC as well so a couple of people can work on each car to speed things up. One thing that may pose a problem is having enough foam pads for the PC. The pads don't work well after a couple of cars and should be cleaned/changed. So maybe people that want to detail their cars should bring a some pads or pitch in some $$$ so you can buy some? Just a suggestion.
Was thinking bout this I am gonna contact Chris with GlimmerGlass on the forum and order some supplies they should be here in time for the event. Ive been meaning to do that anyway but if people can bring their own that would be helpful.

Again, I am a novice at sorts I have some of the products and tools but dont use them to their full potential. Again, as with the wrench event Ill supply the space and tools in trade for some first hand knowledge at proper techniques.

As the date draws closer I will be asking folks what they plan on doing and coordinating food. Till then use this time to squirrel away some supplies for your job and I'll see everyone in 2 weeks.

Keep responding to the thread and I will add folks in turn.
Old 11-19-08, 02:26 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DaveC
Old 11-19-08, 03:15 PM
phillygs3

Old 11-20-08, 05:55 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Was thinking bout this I am gonna contact Chris with GlimmerGlass on the forum and order some supplies they should be here in time for the event. Ive been meaning to do that anyway but if people can bring their own that would be helpful.
Mark .... I was planning on ordering some stuff as well PM me maybe we can combine the order and split the shipping.

DaveC
Old 11-20-08, 10:56 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Mark .... I was planning on ordering some stuff as well PM me maybe we can combine the order and split the shipping.

DaveC
Dave,

Sounds like a good idea burt I just dont know what I need. Thats kinda why I never used my machine. Maybe if they had a starter kit, ya know the equivalent of a bunny slope in skiing, that will help me cuz each car has different issues to deal with. I will pour over his site and detailing forum then PM you with ideas.

Cool?
Old 11-20-08, 11:38 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phillygs3
That's just an AWESOME smiley!
Old 11-20-08, 04:46 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

DaveC
Dave,

Like I said I am a complete novice at all this, I have the tools but never used them. I am looking to you and other detailer gods to let me know what else I would need. This is what I have now:

2 - Foam polishing pads
2 - Foam finishing pads
2 - Foam cutting pads
1 - 16oz Swirl Remover 2.0
1 - 16oz Fine Cut cleaner
1 - 16 oz Medium Cut cleaner
1 - 16oz Heavy Cut cleaner
1 - 32oz Dual Action Cleaner Polisher
1 - mild detailers clay bar
1 - Porter Cable DA Polisher

What I dont know is what I need to clean the pads when I am done since I have never used them. Also I dont have a machine waxes just a small amount of the stuff I use Zaimol.

EDIT****I am going to ask folks now to BYOT (bring your own towel) to remove the polishes waxes etc (microfiber is best) also if you plan on washing the car your welcome to do that at the house (bring your own shamwow and soap) but if its cold might be better off hitting a local carwash and saving your hands for the harder job of detailing.

Last edited by RolxuSC400; 11-21-08 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 09:35 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Maybe I'll come to this event mark. I wanna learn some good details tip especially for the wheels, i need to make mine more polish shiny I got like a small electrical heater for the garage if you need extra heaters to help out.
Old 11-21-08, 06:24 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

All "adds" for this event are up to date.

Horent - dont have anything for wheels or know how to clean them up. I am hoping I have some experts there that can maybe help you out. All I've ever done with my wheels is wash them.
Old 11-21-08, 06:50 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Here's my polishing pad cleaning routine.

• run under very hot water
• work Snappy Pad Cleaning Powder (in a bucket)
OR
• work a small amount of Dawn Power Dissolver spray through the pad
• hot water rinse
• another hot water rinse
• spin dry in the washing machine
• store them slightly damp in Ziploc Freezer bags.

The only other thing I see missing in your list is some sort of clay lube. I use a very diluted spray bottle of my ONR car wash, some use quick detailer and some use specialized clay bar lube. I'm cheap so I use a few drops of my wash in a spray bottle.

I was looking to order a PurpleFoamWool pad, mushroom/ball buffer and some chemicals.

DaveC
Old 11-21-08, 08:45 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

The only other thing I see missing in your list is some sort of clay lube. I use a very diluted spray bottle of my ONR car wash, some use quick detailer and some use specialized clay bar lube. I'm cheap so I use a few drops of my wash in a spray bottle.

I was looking to order a PurpleFoamWool pad, mushroom/ball buffer and some chemicals.

DaveC
Dave,

Sounds like alot of work to clean those pads..ugh. Thanks for the 411

I didnt mention the clay lube cuz its something I was gonna have people bring along with their detail towels (microfiber). I use Quick detailer and its expensive to replace. I will note the stuff for the peeps to bring to the event in a future email.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT UPDATE,,,,,Winter Detail Event MD VA DC,,,POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE