NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Dyno tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 08:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Dyno tuning question

Anyone know of a good shop to go to for dyno tuning in the DMV area.
Street Tuning my car with the MAP ECU is proving more difficult than i thought. It seems to be very touchy.
I feel like I could get it in time, but I've been so busy lately I don't have time to (or patience anymore) and I just want to be able to enjoy my turbo finally.

So dyno + tuning + MAP ECU knowledge somewhere in the area, because my car can't really drive that far right now. I could probably tow it if I need to.
any info would be great. even if they don't have map ecu knowledge I would still be willing to let a reputable tuner take a shot at it. thanks.

I did hit 6psi of boost yesterday in first gear after some tuning. its like a kick in the pants.
Old 12-08-08, 08:52 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SRT and ISP are good places to go.
Old 12-08-08, 09:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I called up both of those places. They both pretty much said tuning the map ecu is a waste of time and money. I'm pretty much stuck i guess.
I will have to go back and try and tune it myself, or get a standalone and get them to tune it.
They said an safc would be better, but i would have to put my maf back in my car, and that will open up a whole different box of problems.

Apex, you know where I can get a standalone for cheap. like aem or haltech.
Old 12-08-08, 11:45 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I called up both of those places. They both pretty much said tuning the map ecu is a waste of time and money. I'm pretty much stuck i guess.
I will have to go back and try and tune it myself, or get a standalone and get them to tune it.
They said an safc would be better, but i would have to put my maf back in my car, and that will open up a whole different box of problems.

Apex, you know where I can get a standalone for cheap. like aem or haltech.
SRT uses nothing but Haltech but I think they charge $1200-1500 for it. If you check my.IS forums there are always standalone systems popping up. Greddy mostly, and some Haltech and AEM. Check Supra Forums also.
Old 12-08-08, 01:12 PM
amorphous
Pole Position

Ali, my two cents, I say just go ahead and reinstall the MAF. Sure you are limited at 300 hp roughly with it, but you can get a LS400 MAF and somehow you can get that to work. I haven't read too much on the LS400 MAF install but it is doable for another 400 hp. Unless you are planning on going way past 400 hp you don't really need standalone. A SAFC II is great and will do what you need. LMK if you need any help with anything.
Old 12-08-08, 01:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

thanks amorphous. I called up sound performance in IL, the real supra shop. The guy was really nice. He said I can get the map ecu to work but they dont bother too often as the map eventually changes.

He said standalone works great (obviously)
but he also said the SAFC 2 and VAPC combo works really well for piggyback. I dont mind putting the maf back in that much, as long as I dont stall out with atmospheric bov (i think the dec-air function takes care of that). I should be ok with just the safc 2.

He did give me some tuning tips so I will give the map ecu one last chance to cooperate. or else safc and I may be hitting you up Jeff for some settings.
Old 12-08-08, 05:32 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amorphous
Ali, my two cents, I say just go ahead and reinstall the MAF. Sure you are limited at 300 hp roughly with it, but you can get a LS400 MAF and somehow you can get that to work. I haven't read too much on the LS400 MAF install but it is doable for another 400 hp. Unless you are planning on going way past 400 hp you don't really need standalone. A SAFC II is great and will do what you need. LMK if you need any help with anything.
Bingo!

LS400 maf and 550cc injectors, supra tt head gasket and the boost up to 18lbs and your at 500rwhp w/o a doubt on a manual sc3. 1A1 on sf.com went 10.0 with his supra with stock maf still attached, but he did have a safc2 and fuel and a BL67 turbo.

Last edited by vntperform; 12-08-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 07:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah im not sure we can use an ls400 maf with odb1 cars.

I did figure out something pretty cool though. If I get an safc and connect it in my car, i can have the map ecu observe the outputs while i drive around and essentially create a map from what the safc outputs. pretty sweet right.

so i decided to get an safc2 to try it out, unless someone wants to let me borrow theirs. once the map ecu gets enough of the table filled in, i can just take out the safc and maf.
with all the values from the safc in the mapecu its basically a vpc/safc combo at that point.

and if it all doesnt work I will just use the safc. if it does work that would be sick
I read about this on the 3000gt forum and it seems someone got it to do this.

Thanks for all the info guys. 10 seconds with the stock maf is just insane. kinda hurts my head a little.
Old 12-08-08, 07:54 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck my friend!!!
Old 12-09-08, 05:24 AM
amorphous
Pole Position

Ali, we can use a LS400 MAF don't know how I haven't read into it too much but obd 1 car have a easier time with it then 2. If I'm not mistaken it's 90-94 or so I think that the sc's can use but again I haven't read anything on it for a while. I hope everything works out for you man turbo is always so much more fun.