NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Flu Remedies

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 12:08 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Flu Remedies

What a time to get sick when the weather is so nice this weekend!!
This is the second time around I caught the flu... first case happened on Tuesday got better by Wednesday my father had the flu Wednesday and Friday he laid in my bed and got me sick all over again Friday Morning.

What have you taken in the past to help relieve the sickness... its awful being sick espically twice in one week

so far i tried TheraFlu Warming Relief (day)
just took Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom (waiting to kick-in)

Home remedy maybe??

-Mark
p.s. this should be posted in WebMd but there is just too much crap on there to take
Old 02-07-09, 12:56 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably not the flu unless you managed to somehow get two strains of it in the same year. I personally take some multivitamins... and get egg drop soup mixed with chicken noodle from my local chinese resturant... (add lots of the hot mustard)... cough drops also help get me through the day.
Old 02-07-09, 05:16 PM
phillygs3

Lots and lots of o.j. ............. Just be glad you didnt get that stomach virus thats going around. My kids were pukin all over the place last week.
Old 02-07-09, 07:58 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

multi or vitamin c if u cant take the o.j. tea tea tea & not just when youre sick but takin an enzyme vitamin is always good...keeps your body movin inside. oil of oregano is great but u gotta tolerate it. Black seed oil "cures all but death" but u gotta go to a mostly muslim area to get it or order it(Newark). Get a shot glass n fill it with a DARK hard liquor, lemo, alittle honey, heat it up in the microwave, throw it down b4 bed n the next day boo-ya! Im here til Thursday feel better
Old 02-08-09, 12:19 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Lots and lots of o.j. ............. Just be glad you didnt get that stomach virus thats going around. My kids were pukin all over the place last week.
I think i had that one a couple of weeks ago.. fun fun fun..
Old 02-08-09, 05:19 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

water, sunlight, and miracle-gro

but seriously, keeping yourself hydrated and catching some rays does help
and laughing and meditating, as well
Old 02-09-09, 09:20 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

high concentration of sugar (like in OJ) actually diminishes your immune systems ability to fight off infection. Take the Vit C without the orange juice.
Old 02-10-09, 11:12 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

This is my last week of work and I'm out with the flu. What a way to go I guess.
Old 02-10-09, 11:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i feel your pain, i had that stomach virus during the superbowl.
talk about bad timing.. all that food... and i was eating soup =(
Old 02-10-09, 12:38 PM
LexGrl702
Lead Lap

Smile

ouch, it sucks to get the flu. But people confuse the flu with a cold all the time. You'll know if you get the flu, you feel like your body is shutting down, everything hurts, you are running a fever and simple things like sitting up seems like the hardest physical activity you've ever done. Nothing works, you just have to keep hydrated with multi-symptoms medication, tea, herbs and try to keep eating healthy to help your immune system prevent infection. All remedies help to cope with the symptoms as long as you do them right. I haven't gotten the flu (knock on wood) since college when I ate poorly and never slept, but colds are a given in the winter and around people in the office. I fight them off in a few days and can still do my day-to-day. I eat lots of citrus fruits in the winter (since they are in season and are really yummy) and lots of physical activity in the house, outside, the gym, etc.

I hope my fellow NELOC sickies feel better and take care of yourself, we are still too young to be sick all the time come visit me in Jersey and I'll cook you chinese cabbage soup...yum!
Old 02-10-09, 05:36 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All wonderful and very informative response...Thanks all

Here is my update... I some what make it out the door yesterday morning to go to work feeling like crap all throughout the day.
Today I had to take the day off to go to the doctor to get some antibiotic ( Dr prescribe azithromycin). Right now the flu is gone however, I am stuck with the cold and a little wheezing (not asthmatic) & the mouth dehydrate rapidly. So hopefully taken a lot of vitamin c & my Source of Life vitamin will bring relief ASAP... I need it badly.

Originally Posted by JFLACO610
oil of oregano is great but u gotta tolerate it. Black seed oil "cures all but death" but u gotta go to a mostly muslim area to get it or order it(Newark). Get a shot glass n fill it with a DARK hard liquor, lemo, alittle honey, heat it up in the microwave, throw it down b4 bed n the next day boo-ya! Im here til Thursday feel better
Black Seed Oilsounds serious...serious enough to work Maybe if I can get hold of some I can give it a shot (after reading the side effects first)

The Dark hard liquor won't work well for me cause my stomach do not tolerate lime and honey combo period... Thanks dude
Old 02-11-09, 07:54 AM
Scarlet300
Lead Lap

Good things when you are sick. Zinc, vitamic C, chicken noodle soup, hot tea, hot toddy, garlic, horseradish gargle, steam/humidifier, saline drops, the all classic VaborRub, gargle with saltwater, and acourse rest, rest, rest. Hope you feel better.
Old 02-14-09, 10:33 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure you run the full prescription of those antibiotics. Its really bad to stop taking them because you start to feel better.

My last couple of weeks at work and I'm sick too... I guess its better to get sick now when I still have some medical coverage. Woohoo phlegm.
Old 02-14-09, 06:33 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Unless you have a bacterial cold infection, antibiotics won't make the cold go away. Just minimizes bacteria-induced symptoms. OJ, too. It doesn't help you once you're sick--only helps to maintain immunity. Once your body's hit with a new strain of virus, it just takes its natural course. I try to keep off of medication to stay resistant to symptoms. Kind of helps. Prevention is the key!