NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Apexi AFC Neo install in GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 09:35 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi AFC Neo install in GS400?

Has anyone installed one in a GS400? Or know of a place that I could get it done at?

Thanks
Old 03-18-09, 07:35 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've installed it on a GS300. Pretty easy to do to be honest.
Old 03-18-09, 08:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i did it on the SC. you just gotta splice like 5 or 6 wires, and the maf wire must be cut in half.
all you need is the wiring diagram for your car, and a soldering gun.
Old 03-18-09, 08:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i almost went this route on my old gs400 but found out that my srt air intake that came with an 'ecu piggy back upgrade' actually does this and for a lot less money. i am not sure how advanced a user you are, but for me the srt ecu does this perfectly and for a lot less... SRT in MD even dynoed my gs4 and made sure the ecu was tuned to its best possible settings for the mods that i had... what think you of this??
Old 03-18-09, 09:14 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Srt ecu is very limited as you cannot make any adjustments on it. Whereas the Apexi can be adjusted based on your car, climate, and dyno. Much better than the preset piggy back from SRT. One question you dynoed the SRT intake with the piggy back but how can you be sure that you are making the most power with the intake if you have never tried anything else?
Old 03-18-09, 09:18 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gsoup or Ali do you guys want to do it for me I'll pay for you time and labor? Electrical stuff freaks me out. LOL

Sojah yeah I thought about srt but I'm working on fi or nos so I want to be able to tune myself. I have access to a dyno where I live and to go back and forth to srt for tuning is a long haul.
Old 03-18-09, 09:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Spyder, apparently the SRT piggy back is tuned to work best with the stock gs400 plus the srt air intake, i added a tanabe medalion full cat back exhaust and took the car to SRT to dyno. I told SRT that i was thinking about purchasing the apexi neo thing and they told me to have them dyno the car first to see if the ecu was set to its most efficient stuff, so they did 3 dyno runs and concluded that the ecu was optimally configured for 'my' setup. they told me that adding the apexi neo would not do anything for me at that point and would just be an expensive part for nothing, in my case...

i guess i took their words and experience as truth but i'm sure your about to tell me that this is incorrect somehow, so please splain' it to me so that i do not offer bad advice to someone in the future...
Old 03-18-09, 09:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
Spyder, apparently the SRT piggy back is tuned to work best with the stock gs400 plus the srt air intake, i added a tanabe medalion full cat back exhaust and took the car to SRT to dyno. I told SRT that i was thinking about purchasing the apexi neo thing and they told me to have them dyno the car first to see if the ecu was set to its most efficient stuff, so they did 3 dyno runs and concluded that the ecu was optimally configured for 'my' setup. they told me that adding the apexi neo would not do anything for me at that point and would just be an expensive part for nothing, in my case...

i guess i took their words and experience as truth but i'm sure your about to tell me that this is incorrect somehow, so please splain' it to me so that i do not offer bad advice to someone in the future...
I don't think it's a matter of them being wrong, I have a Neo sitting in my house waiting for install as well. My question regarding the SRT Ecu is: If it's already preset to run based on the stock setup and intake, then where are the gains from the exhaust being recognized? Even if the exhaust gains are minimal, the setup can't be considered 'optimal' if the ECU doesn't recognize it, can it?
Old 03-18-09, 09:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i see your point, because this was also my point when i called and went to SRT... i told them the same thing "the setup can't be considered 'optimal' if the ECU doesn't recognize it (exhaust)", they told me that they would dyno it, if they saw areas for improvement, that they (srt) would tune it accordingly. after 3 runs they said that there was no tuning needed.

i would have seriously thought that they would have tuned it even a little to be able to charge me some $$$ like most shops probably would, and i was even going to get the apexi + install through them (SRT), even more $$$ for them. but dude said it was tuned properly and that the previous 2 $$$ things would not have made it any better.

so what is the reason this could be??

at the time i was going to try to get more performance mods & was thinking that the apexi neo would have benefited me more when these mods came online, but i ended up just selling the car and saving all that mod money for the next project...
Old 03-18-09, 09:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

i see your point, because this was also my point when i called and went to SRT... i told them the same thing "the setup can't be considered 'optimal' if the ECU doesn't recognize it (exhaust)", they told me that they would dyno it, if they saw areas for improvement, that they (srt) would tune it accordingly. after 3 runs they said that there was no tuning needed.

i would have seriously thought that they would have tuned it even a little to be able to charge me some $$$ like most shops probably would, and i was even going to get the apexi + install through them (SRT), even more $$$ for them. but dude said it was tuned properly and that the previous 2 $$$ things would not have made it any better.

so what is the reason this could be??
The only reason I can think of doesn't make sense. That the factory exhaust set up is so close to perfection that going aftermarket is a waste of money. But that would be hard to believe considering how flimsy the exhaust is when we pick up our cars. And that not only is the Neo a waste of money but so is buying a complete exhaust when tips will suffice. lol, that is something I don't want to believe

The only real test for me at this point is to dyno my car now with the SRT/ECU set up now and the SRT/Neo setup later and see if there's a difference.
Old 03-18-09, 10:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah man even though i don't own this car anymore i am still very interested in the what if scenarios that you just mentioned (oohpapi). i know or at least i think i know that you could manually change certain things in the apexi to make the car faster for certain circumstances, i.e. road vs dyno, or 0-60 instead of like 40-90. but now i'm wondering if what the overall best setting for the vehicle in a wide range of driving scenarios is what the srt ecu was setup for and not just best dyno numbers or what not... not sure cuz there is some pretty high level stuff involved... but since i never played with the apexi neo or equivalent type thing i am just going off my memory of reading about it.

looking back at it now i seriously think that my 0-60 time was hurt by putting on the tanabe cat back and the srt intake + ecu. don't get me wrong it was much faster on the highway and the torque was amazing from like 25-85 mph but my new(er) ls430 has what feels to me like a better 0-50 time... and i pulled on my old gs400 when my friend was driving it back for me from the dealership, consistently... not that i want to rice i mean race my ls430 but i am wondering now if my 0-60 is better in this ls.

Last edited by sojah; 03-18-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 11:03 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

yeah man even though i don't own this car anymore i am still very interested in the what if scenarios that you just mentioned (oohpapi). i know or at least i think i know that you could manually change certain things in the apexi to make the car faster for certain circumstances, i.e. road vs dyno, or 0-60 instead of like 40-90. but now i'm wondering if what the overall best setting for the vehicle in a wide range of driving scenarios is what the srt ecu was setup for and not just best dyno numbers or what not... not sure cuz there is some pretty high level stuff involved... but since i never played with the apexi neo or equivalent type thing i am just going off my memory of reading about it.

looking back at it now i seriously think that my 0-60 time was hurt by putting on the tanabe cat back and the srt intake + ecu. don't get me wrong it was much faster on the highway and the torque was amazing from like 25-85 mph but my new(er) ls430 has what feels to me like a better 0-50 time... and i pulled on my old gs400 when my friend was driving it back for me from the dealership, consistently... not that i want to rice i mean race my ls430 but i am wondering now if my 0-60 is better in this ls.
I'd find it hard to believe that your LS would get better times being that it's the same engine and almost 1,000 pounds heavier. I guess Gsoup and I will have to put this to the test (for the public's better interest of couse)
Old 03-18-09, 11:15 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah i had no low end on my gs400 (no back pressure) from like 0-20 (w/ tanabe cat back + srt intake & ecu) but my 05 ls430 just takes off from 0-20 so yeah thats my comparison... i think you guys should do a real world comparison of this,,, purely scientific of course.
Old 03-18-09, 11:29 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
gsoup or Ali do you guys want to do it for me I'll pay for you time and labor? Electrical stuff freaks me out. LOL

Sojah yeah I thought about srt but I'm working on fi or nos so I want to be able to tune myself. I have access to a dyno where I live and to go back and forth to srt for tuning is a long haul.
I'll be at smitty's BBQ so bring it with you if your attending.
Old 03-18-09, 01:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
I'll be at smitty's BBQ so bring it with you if your attending.
yeah, I should be there too, we can knock it out for you in no time.

Quick Reply: Apexi AFC Neo install in GS400?