NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

4.7 & 5.7 tundra TRD supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 10:20 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 & 5.7 tundra TRD supercharger questions

Will these work on a gs400 or gs430 1uzfe?

If not what's the difference between tundra motors and the pre 98 sc400 compaired to the 98+ 1uzfe?

Other than the obvious dispacement.

I know first gen sc400s have different intake manifolds.

Do they mount the same? Can I retro an older intake manifold onto my motor? Or better yet can say a richwood positive displacement supercharger made for a pre 98 sc be mounted on my 99 gs400 motor?
Old 03-18-09, 11:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe ask the performance section in the 2gs forum or in lextreme forum.
Old 03-18-09, 01:48 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i thought the tundras were 2uzfe.

Someone was selling a supercharger bracket for an sc400 in the SC classifieds this week.
I would think something like that would be closer than the newer motor superchargers.
But i have no knowledge of the differences between the pre 98 SC and 99 GS.

Have you thought about a rear mount turbo setup?
It's being done to alot of custom cars these days and is very easy for a competent shop to do. I would have done it to mine if there wasnt a manifold/bolt on kit.
It would cost half the price of a supercharger with all the benifits of a turbo.

This picture is from http://www.mandrelbend.com/
Its the shop in maryland that does mandrel bending in house.
Basically its all fancy piping, and you need an oil pump to return the oil back from the turbo.
no fancy manifolds or engine space needed, and the piping is your intercooler.

thats a twin rear mount system. you would probably only need 1 turbo on the collector pipe. Ive been wanting to do this to my bros A8 for a while
Attached Thumbnails 4.7 & 5.7 tundra TRD supercharger questions-rearturbo.jpg  

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-18-09 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-18-09, 02:10 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

ive thought about rear mount turbos but the last time i looked under the car it didnt seem like there was enough room???

i like my junction produce exhaust too. lol so i would have to put the turbo some where between the cats and rear axle. ive been talking to al about buying his y pipe off of his old gs but if that doesnt work i might consider doing it if i can figure out spacing issues.

plus i dont know what kind of turbo to run. hahahah

can some one get me an under car shot of the GS?
Old 03-18-09, 02:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

is this one? http://www.gs400.ca/exhaust_mod2_a.jpg

I think you could do fine with a 61mm turbo or higher. The beauty is since you are making the piping, you can put whatever turbo you want on it w/ the proper flange.

It doesnt have to go in the very back either. It can go pretty much wherever you want it. Those guys can make any piping you already have, completely custom.

I mean techinically, they could run the two headers together in the front, then the turbo, then back out to dual and into your JP. That would be something wouldn't it =)

I have turbo --> into single 3" mandrel bent --> Dual 3" mandrel bent.
obviously I don't need to have a dual 3" after a single 3"
but I like the style of it.
Old 03-18-09, 02:37 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

yeah that picture works. they did custom x pipes on that one. lol

ok well that gives me a basis to work with. i think im gonna try to get a y pipe made for right after the cats for the turbo so it sits right between the driver and passenger then split it back up to the jp.

just have to figure out how to route the charged air back up to the front. i guess i can run inline to back up the exhaust tunnel but it would cause heat. wonder if id need a front mount then? like thats a bad thing hahaha.

one question is where do they put the wastegates?
Old 03-19-09, 01:13 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
Will these work on a gs400 or gs430 1uzfe?

If not what's the difference between tundra motors and the pre 98 sc400 compaired to the 98+ 1uzfe?

Other than the obvious dispacement.

I know first gen sc400s have different intake manifolds.

Do they mount the same? Can I retro an older intake manifold onto my motor? Or better yet can say a richwood positive displacement supercharger made for a pre 98 sc be mounted on my 99 gs400 motor?
That TRD kit doesn't mate with our engines. I am not sure about hood clearance but if you wanted a supercharger upgrade there is one the Aussie's make. You could also get Vortec to fabricate you a kit. It may not be that bad of a deal considering there is after market FMIC's for the GS. I really think the rear turbo is doable..someone chime in please...What setup did that dude that had that FAST GS (it was silver) at the very first Anne Arundel meet? I think he was putting down about 600+ at the wheel. Ultra, NELOC use to have some heavy guys in GS performance at one time I haven't seen them in a while. I think one guy was TurboPimp?? cool dude.
Old 03-19-09, 03:21 AM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
That TRD kit doesn't mate with our engines. I am not sure about hood clearance but if you wanted a supercharger upgrade there is one the Aussie's make. You could also get Vortec to fabricate you a kit. It may not be that bad of a deal considering there is after market FMIC's for the GS. I really think the rear turbo is doable..someone chime in please...What setup did that dude that had that FAST GS (it was silver) at the very first Anne Arundel meet? I think he was putting down about 600+ at the wheel. Ultra, NELOC use to have some heavy guys in GS performance at one time I haven't seen them in a while. I think one guy was TurboPimp?? cool dude.
That was a SRT twin kit. It was built motor,TH400 and under hood turbos.I would run a single turbo no more than 67mm and place it under the hood. You can still run any exhaust then. It can't be much more than 2k for all the pipe work. I think all the parts and labor to do so came to 6k last time I priced it out. That would get 380whp on low boost and be safe. The trans should be OK with a cooler and fan setup. The motor can take it as long as you aren't to hard on it. All this can be tuned with minor upgrades also.
Old 03-19-09, 03:52 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't that rear setup have some CRAZY pressure drop ? That's a long way to go for hiPSI air plus it has to get through an intercooler (and or water injection). I guess if that is the only space that is the only space though.

The turbos and their oil feed/return lines are also exposed to road debris in that location. Do they heat up the trunk floor ? You might not be able to transport chocolate easter bunnies back there.
Old 03-19-09, 05:09 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BRADSGS4
That was a SRT twin kit. It was built motor,TH400 and under hood turbos.I would run a single turbo no more than 67mm and place it under the hood. You can still run any exhaust then. It can't be much more than 2k for all the pipe work. I think all the parts and labor to do so came to 6k last time I priced it out. That would get 380whp on low boost and be safe. The trans should be OK with a cooler and fan setup. The motor can take it as long as you aren't to hard on it. All this can be tuned with minor upgrades also.

Brad,

I was wondering about the single turbo underhood, but how are the sc guys doing it since its a "V" motor? it would seem like it would be for space for piping to have both manifolds merge to one turbo.

Or are they just running one turbo off of one side? That sounds crazy.

Pm the set up that you came up with to be in the 6k price range. All I need are the parts. Fabrication and labor Im getting sponsored for
Old 03-19-09, 07:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Wouldn't that rear setup have some CRAZY pressure drop ? That's a long way to go for hiPSI air plus it has to get through an intercooler (and or water injection). I guess if that is the only space that is the only space though.

The turbos and their oil feed/return lines are also exposed to road debris in that location. Do they heat up the trunk floor ? You might not be able to transport chocolate easter bunnies back there.
There isn't a crazy pressure drop. you should come look at my na-t and you will see how much intercooler piping there is going everywhere, but the boost comes on fast and strong.

VIP, you could always use an intercooler if the temps are high, even a sidemount. im not sure what you mean inline, but it just goes back to the engine bay next to the exhaust piping.

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
Brad,

I was wondering about the single turbo underhood, but how are the sc guys doing it since its a "V" motor? it would seem like it would be for space for piping to have both manifolds merge to one turbo.

Or are they just running one turbo off of one side? That sounds crazy.

Pm the set up that you came up with to be in the 6k price range. All I need are the parts. Fabrication and labor Im getting sponsored for
I've kind of wondered the same thing. thats why I suggested the rear mount.
all of the underhood turbo setups on the 1uz get way too crowded in the engine bay, but it is definately possible. It was my understanding you need custom manifolds or have to make your own.
Old 03-19-09, 12:12 PM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

This setup would be both exhaust manifolds coming into one. You would rap
the one side around to the other like a 350z turbonetics kit does. Then the turbo would sit just by the radiator. It is a tight setup and you would have to be on point but should be no problem for a good tech/welder. I have also seen pipes that are crushed wide not tall so that they can run under things better. You should run a front mount to keep the temps cool. You don't want to go to big because you have to remember 6psi is not alot and you also don't need a big row cooler just a long unit to fit the front bumper nice.

The fuel system should be good with minor upgrades with some sort of fuel
computer. Nothing much would be needed to get a little more fuel under boost. A ignition amp will also clean up the power also.

A BOV/wastegate is a must to keep it all responding correctly. Runner a 67mm
or slightly smaller is best bet for lag.
Old 03-19-09, 12:27 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Brad you gonna be at smittys next weekend? I'll be up there then. Stop by if you have time so we can discuss stuff.
Old 03-19-09, 02:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I agree with Brad, if you can find a good fabricator the manifolds would be the more reliable / easier route.
Old 03-19-09, 02:22 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I agree with Brad, if you can find a good fabricator the manifolds would be the more reliable / easier route.

I dunno guys. I was looking at the engine bay today during a break at work. it looks like there is room to route piping forward on the drivers side but the passenger side there is like 0 space to get a decent size pipe forward. I dunno we can look at it next weekend.

Quick Reply: 4.7 & 5.7 tundra TRD supercharger questions