NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Got 2 tickets driving home from smittys =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 08:11 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea he does lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi2TPNv7qcc

problem is ur kit lol and his shaved inners.
Old 03-29-09, 10:12 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear this joe...
thats a whole scene over nothing...troopers are a$$hats and really love to give an out of towner a good roughing up

i got pulled over in NC last year in my camry for "passing a police car" when i was doing exactly the speed limit (on cruise) and he was in the slow lane behind someone who was going slower...he then proceeded to question me as to why i was there and what i was doing there...he asked about my car and all my luggage, and generally gave myself and my friend a hard time...he wrote me a warning, but still it was 30 mins of my life ill never get back...
Old 03-29-09, 10:55 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This sounds ridiculous. I have been pulled over many times any members who have seen my car know that my tint is a flagrant violation of any laws for tint in almost every state. I have 5% on the sides and 50% on the windshield. i have been pulled over in Jersey and PA countless times and not once have they ever given me a ticket for equipment violations. My car is registered and titled in NY so the only cops who can give me tickets for violating state laws are cops in the state where the car is registered and I am a resident. It makes no sense to me if for example I got to Cali and get tickets for my car being too low or tint or any other equipment violations that are illegal in Cali how can they? I am not a resident nor do I know the rules of that particular state. If I were you I would take the pics of Chris' car as a backup but come to court and inquire to the judge as how you can be bound to equipment rules when your car is not registered in that state.
Old 03-30-09, 12:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
My car is registered and titled in NY so the only cops who can give me tickets for violating state laws are cops in the state where the car is registered and I am a resident.
If your car is legal to drive in NY, then it's legal to drive in NY only.

It's not on the cops to know the laws of your hometown state, it's on YOU to know the laws of the place you're visiting. It's just that simple. Scratch equpiment violations and think on a larger scale. In TX, you're allowed to have gun racks in the back of your truck with no problem whatsoever. Not so in NY. So do you think someone driving up from TX with a gun rack won't get pulled over by a NYC cop? The same way you know to pull down your radar detector when you cross the VA border because you know it's illegal, same theory (however impractical it may be) applies to your tint or any other equiment violation.

Just to pull a state at random, here is GA's policy:

2/14/2007
Georgia to Ticket Out-of-State Motorists With Legally Tinted Windows
Georgia cities are receiving grants to ticket motorists for dark window tinting, even when that tint is fully legal.

The Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety is issuing grants so that local police departments can purchase $140 window tint measuring devices. They will be used to deliver punishments of one year in jail and fines of up to $1000 for motorists with dark window tinting -- even if that tint is fully legal. The devices will also be used against motorists from out-of-state who pass through with dark window tinting that, while legal in their own state, violates Georgia's peculiar standards.

"The fine goes up each time if you violate the same law continuously," Newnan Police Chief Douglas L. "Buster" Meadows told the Newnan Times-Herald, confirming to the paper that vehicle confiscation is also an option.

In June 2004, the Georgia Supreme Court struck down a previous state window tinting law saying that it could not exclude out-of-state motorists. The legislature re-passed the law, this time forcing police to stop even those vehicles legally tinted in their state of registration.

"The window tint law is a safety issue," insisted the state police commander, Colonel Bill Hitchens.

Article Excerpt:
Georgia Code 40-8-73.1.

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
1) 'Light reflectance' means the ratio of the amount of total light that is reflected outward by a product or material to the amount of total light falling on the product or material.
(2) 'Light transmission' means the ratio of the amount of total light, expressed in percentages, which is allowed to pass through a surface to the amount of light falling on the surface.
(3) 'Manufacturer' means a person who produces or assembles a vehicle glass-coating material or who fabricates, laminates, or tempers a safety-glazing material, which material reduces light transmission.
(4) 'Material' means any transparent product or substance which reduces light transmission.
(5) 'Multipurpose passenger vehicle' means a motor vehicle designed to carry ten persons or less which is constructed on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.
(b) Except as provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle in this state:
(1) Which has material and glazing applied or affixed to the front windshield, which material and glazing when so applied or affixed reduce light transmission through the windshield; or
(2) Which has material and glazing applied or affixed to the rear windshield or the side or door windows, which material and glazing when so applied or affixed reduce light transmission through the windshield or window to less than 32 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, or increase light reflectance to more than 20 percent.
(c) The provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply to:
(1) Adjustable sun visors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass;
(2) Signs, stickers, or other matter which is displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or signs, stickers, or other matter which is displayed in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver;
(3) Direction, destination, or termination signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle if the signs do not interfere with the driverÌs clear view of approaching traffic;
(4) Any transparent item which is not red or amber in color which is placed on the uppermost six inches of the windshield;
(5) Any federal, state, or local sticker or certificate which is required by law to be placed on any windshield or window;
(6) The rear windshield or the side or door windows, except those windows to the right and left of the driver of:
(A) A multipurpose passenger vehicle;
(B) A school bus, any other bus used for public transportation, and any bus or van owned or leased by any religious or any nonprofit organization duly incorporated under the laws of this state;
(C) Any limousine owned or leased by a public or private entity; or
(D) Any other vehicle, the windows or windshields of which have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation; or
(7) Any law enforcement vehicle.
(d) The Department of Motor Vehicle Safety may, upon application from a person required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun and only if such application is supported by written attestation of such fact from a person licensed to practice medicine under Chapter 34 of Title 43, issue an exemption from the provisions of this Code section for any motor vehicle owned by such person or in which such person is a habitual passenger. The exemption shall be issued with such conditions and limitations as may be prescribed by the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety.
(e) No person shall install any material upon the windshields or windows of any motor vehicle, the installation of which would result in a reduction of light transmission or an increase in light reflectance in violation of subsection (b) of this Code section.
(f) The Department of Motor Vehicle Safety is authorized to promulgate such rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Code section.
(g) Any person who violates subsection (b) or (e) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Source: Police enforcing window tint law (Newnan Times-Herald (GA), 2/12/2007)
It's probably the easiest revenue stream the state troopers can have because it's highly unlikely that someone passing through and receiving a ticket will take the time to come back to the town and fight it. You'll probably just pay it, be grateful there's no points attached and move on.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 03-30-09 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-30-09, 06:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think Papi has it right. With Tint you're either lucky and get away with it, or you pay for it randomly.
Old 03-30-09, 06:10 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That's VA for you bro, I got pulled over in FFX county like 2 years ago for having loud "pipes" lol............anyway I got a tint ticket. I was like sir I don't live or work in VA he then proceeded to say that since I was in his jurisdiction I had to abide by their laws and that I didn't have to take it off and that paying the fine would suffice......whatever.

Yesterday afternoon I get off 495 on Route 4 heading home, just about to go into boost when I see a MD state trooper on side lol. I slowed down pass him and he comes after me and pulls me over. He said he pulled me over because of no front tag, wrote me a ticket for $60. All the time I was thinking about my tint (less than 20%) and exhaust but I had shut car off so he couldn't hear it idling lol. But the trooper was cool, I asked him if I could put my tag in front windshield because I don't want to drill a fiberglass bumper, he was like technically yea. Told me to keep a copy of the ticket in the car in case I get cited again lol. I felt very lucky because I know it could have been a lot worse. Half a mile later I hit 17psi and smiled on the way home ha ha......
Old 03-30-09, 06:46 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea he does lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi2TPNv7qcc

problem is ur kit lol and his shaved inners.
Looks like there's an exhaust under there....
How does he put the car in reverse and get out of it??

Oh and you don't have to un-tint all of your windows, only the front two windows.

Last edited by llllllllll; 03-30-09 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-30-09, 07:24 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, really sorry to hear that. Sucks royally.
Old 03-30-09, 07:27 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
If your car is legal to drive in NY, then it's legal to drive in NY only.

Are you trying to say that if I want to go to Jersey or Cali or Texas that I cant since my car is legal to drive in NY? The theory of reciprocity between states honors one state's laws in another. This is why some state's points transfers over while others do not. Even if you look back and want to see proof on this concerning cars there is a NY times article from 1912 which states "When Gov. Wilson of New Jersey officially approved the automobile reciprocity bill last Tuesday, it was the general belief among automobilists residing in New York as well as in New Jersey, that they could travel from one State to the other without fear of any interference on the part of the police" here is the link to the article http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...629C946396D6CF

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
It's not on the cops to know the laws of your hometown state, it's on YOU to know the laws of the place you're visiting. It's just that simple. Scratch equpiment violations and think on a larger scale. In TX, you're allowed to have gun racks in the back of your truck with no problem whatsoever. Not so in NY. So do you think someone driving up from TX with a gun rack won't get pulled over by a NYC cop? The same way you know to pull down your radar detector when you cross the VA border because you know it's illegal, same theory (however impractical it may be) applies to your tint or any other equiment violation.

Hand guns and other violations are different, when you get a gun permit you are expressly signing for that particular state or county it is expressed so that when you sign you acknowledge. Same thing with radar detectors, since I have been to Virgina before I have seen the signs where it states that the use of radars is illegal this is expressed and any person who ignores the rule when it is posted can be fined. But when you cross a border or driving thru Ohio to get to Utah are you required to know all of the equipment laws of the particular state that you are driving thru? It sounds ridiculous no person consults the laws of equipment when they drive cross country, everyone assumes that since their car is legal in their state that they are fine. I will consult my professor who is a active attorney with 30 years experience and see what his opinion about this is as well.
Old 03-30-09, 07:27 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

DAM. That sucks bro. Sorry to hear that.

Virginia's not for lovers. Its for haters. (The Police that is. )
Old 03-30-09, 09:19 AM
PandaIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let's see...i got pulled over for...3 of exhaust ticket and 1 for tint window from Fairfax County Police. I used to have HKS Hiper and now stock Sport Design muffler and still have 35% tint all around but now I got the doctor's waiver

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/med20.pdf
Old 03-30-09, 10:21 AM
JZCHAOS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Profiling.... A cop told me last year (race day down MIR Domes vs Import) that they stop Imports when there's word of a major event to check for cars running Illegally (runnin NOS, Meth etc) But he also said they will pull them over just because. I said just because! he said most imports have something illegal on them Tint, to Low, to Loud something. That gives them Reason to pull you over. So we cant win for losing..
1. you need a phone that records (I have a Hacked Iphone That does video)
2. I call someone when I get pulled over and leave the line open (thats always!! here in PG)
3. I try to stay out of Va. Period!!! Common Wealth State (Them good ol boyz make there own rules!) Besides my car doesnt even drive right when I go into Va.

Overall ... Becareful guys!! they Hatin On Us!!!!
Old 03-30-09, 11:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Are you trying to say that if I want to go to Jersey or Cali or Texas that I cant since my car is legal to drive in NY?
Ummm No you can't, nuff said. Not legally if the laws in either of those states makes your car illegal in that state even though it is legal in your home state. That's why rental car companies exist.

The theory of reciprocity between states honors one state's laws in another. This is why some state's points transfers over while others do not. Even if you look back and want to see proof on this concerning cars there is a NY times article from 1912 which states "When Gov. Wilson of New Jersey officially approved the automobile reciprocity bill last Tuesday, it was the general belief among automobilists residing in New York as well as in New Jersey, that they could travel from one State to the other without fear of any interference on the part of the police" here is the link to the article http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...629C946396D6CF
lmao did you even read that article? It has nothing to do wiith tint (they didn't even have side windows back then) as it was 1912 and is dealing with license issues. The bill the article referenced simply allowed NY drivers to drive in NJ for fifteen days at a time as long as NY agrees to do the same. It was sponsored by the Touring Club of America because their members would be stopped at the NY/NJ border by their respective policemen and being turned away because of improper displays of state registration numbers. Which is what reciprocity means; you do for me, I'll do for you. That has nothing to do with vehicle equipment.

Hand guns and other violations are different, when you get a gun permit you are expressly signing for that particular state or county it is expressed so that when you sign you acknowledge. Same thing with radar detectors, since I have been to Virgina before I have seen the signs where it states that the use of radars is illegal this is expressed and any person who ignores the rule when it is posted can be fined. But when you cross a border or driving thru Ohio to get to Utah are you required to know all of the equipment laws of the particular state that you are driving thru? It sounds ridiculous no person consults the laws of equipment when they drive cross country, everyone assumes that since their car is legal in their state that they are fine.
Highlighted your problem right there.

Go back and read your post. There is no difference between a gun permit and a driving permit. Not sure where or why you see a difference as you are agreeing to the follow the regulations the same way. Who do you think the burden is gonna fall on to get you the information? Our own state doesn't even tell you what's legal or not legal.

Simply put, yes, you are supposed to knows the laws of the state you are traveling through and not assume anything. Not knowing information isn't a valid excuse. If it's a major viaduct then yes, cops will usually assume that you're on your way somewhere else and just passing through their state and won't pull you over for it (If it's a state that places the violation in a primary enforcement category). But once you are on local streets you can and will get pulled over for violating local law (noise ordinances, tints, mufflers, etc). From what I've heard to be the rule is; If you're from out of state with no ties to the area then they are more likely to let you go, but if you're tied to the area (work, college etc) then they feel you should know the laws and are more likely to give you a ticket.

I will consult my professor who is a active attorney with 30 years experience and see what his opinion about this is as well.
lol, feel free, pretty sure it will be redundant.

Here are some other obscure laws on the books in other states:

The Greek sage Aristotle once penned, "Even when the laws have been written down, they ought not always remain unchanged." Not only is this wise advice, but also prophetic. Especially when you focus on some of the driving laws that loiter on the pages of state statutes.

Tennessee, for example, has a law that bans shooting game, other than whales, from moving vehicles. Apparently, this law was authored during an unusually high tide or after too many dizzying spins on a Tilt-a-Whirl at Dollyworld. Chances of any whale finding its way into Tennessee via the Cumberland River are about as likely as Tony Danza winning a lifetime achievement award at the Cannes Film Festival. Yet, it exists.

So as to assure that your next cross-country vacation does not get pricked by the thorns of legality, we at DMV.ORG have organized a list of arcane state laws that you should be aware of. For nothing can be more embarrassing than having to phone your attorney from Kentucky for help in escaping a fine for trying to transport an ice cream cone in your back pocket.

Alabama

It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street as long as a lantern is attached to the front of your car.

Driving barefoot is illegal.

Alaska

It is illegal to tie a dog to the roof of your car.

Arkansas

It is illegal for a person to blare the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9 p.m.

California

Any woman dressed in a housecoat is prohibited from driving a car.

It is illegal in San Francisco to buff or dry your car with used underwear.

No unoccupied vehicle may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Florida

If an elephant is tied to a parking meter, the owner or attendant must deposit money in the meter.

Georgia

State Assembly members are immune from being ticketed for speeding while the State Assembly is in session.

In Marietta, Georgia, it is illegal to spit from a moving car or bus, but is okay from a moving truck.

Illinois

In Evanston, Illinois, it is unlawful to change clothes while inside a car with the curtains drawn, except during a fire.

Kansas

In Derby, Kansas, it is considered a misdemeanor to screech your tires while driving.

Kentucky

If you stop for ice cream while driving, be aware that it is considered unlawful to transport an ice cream cone in your back pocket.

Massachusetts

You will be ticketed if you drive with a gorilla in the backseat of your car.

Michigan

If you car breaks down in Detroit and you are waiting for assistance, be aware that sitting in the middle of the street to read a newspaper is illegal.

Minnesota

It is illegal to cross state lines, regardless if you are walking or driving, with a duck on your head. And, if you're crossing into Wisconsin, the law also applies to chickens.

In Minnetonka, Minnesota, if you drive a truck that leaves mud, dirt, or sticky substances on any road, you will be considered a public nuisance who is harming the peace, safety, and general welfare of the town.

You cannot ride a motorcycle without a shirt.

Montana

In Whitehall, Montana, vehicles are prohibited from driving with ice picks attached to the wheels.

Nevada

It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway.

New Jersey

Drivers are required to beep their car horns before passing another vehicle.

If convicted of driving while intoxicated, you permanently lose the option of registering for a vanity license plate.

North Carolina

In Dunn, North Carolina, it is illegal to drive on a sidewalk.

Ohio

In Oxford, Ohio, authorities will ticket you if you consecutively drive around the town square more than 100 times.

Keep in mind that if your car breaks down and you phone for a cab, you will be ticketed if you opt to ride on the cab's roof.

Oklahoma

It is considered illegal to read a comic book while driving.

Oregon

You will be ticketed if you leave your car door open longer than is deemed necessary.

You will be slapped with a Class A traffic violation if you use your car on an Oregon highway to prove your physical endurance.

It is illegal to pump your own gas.

Pennsylvania

If you spy a team of approaching horses, you are required by law to pull to the side of the road and cover your car with a blanket or dust cover that has been painted or sewn to blend into the scenery. But, if the horses react skittish to your efforts, you are then required to disassemble your car and hide the parts in the nearby underbrush.

South Carolina

In Hilton Head, South Carolina, you cannot leave trash in your vehicle out of fear of attracting rats.

Tennessee

It is illegal to fire a gun at any wild game other than whales from a moving car.

West Virginia

It is perfectly legal, for road maintenance purposes, to scavenge road kill.
Old 03-30-09, 12:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Wow, those are some silly laws.

I got pulled a couple weeks ago for..
"Sir, I pulled you over because your exhaust looks too large"
so I responded "I'm sorry, I don't think its illegal to have a certain size exhaust"
The officer and I went back and forth for about 10 minutes about exhaust laws,
so I told her "I know its not too loud and I just passed emissions a month ago".
She eventually says she is letting me slide on the exhaust to which I once again told her that it was not illegal at all. I am pretty sure it has to be loud, not just "looks large".

The moral of the story is I ticked her off and I got a ticket for not having my county/city sticker, which i actually had no idea you needed one. more of a nuisance than anything.
basically anytime a cop wants to pull you over, they will say its for the first questionable thing they notice on your car, at least thats how i feel.

It was funny though cause she was so clueless. She saw the gauges on my car and she was like "what are those for?" and I told her "they are gauges for showing stuff".
she was like "are you sure they arent for NOS or something illegal"
I responded by just shaking my head as I felt a little dumber inside.

So yeah I feel your pain man, sometimes it pays to keep your car looking more stockish.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-30-09 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 12:37 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Looks like there's an exhaust under there....
How does he put the car in reverse and get out of it??

Oh and you don't have to un-tint all of your windows, only the front two windows.
ebrake?filler

Quick Reply: Got 2 tickets driving home from smittys =(