Old 03-30-09, 02:39 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Wow, those are some silly laws.

I got pulled a couple weeks ago for..
"Sir, I pulled you over because your exhaust looks too large"
so I responded "I'm sorry, I don't think its illegal to have a certain size exhaust"
The officer and I went back and forth for about 10 minutes about exhaust laws,
so I told her "I know its not too loud and I just passed emissions a month ago".
She eventually says she is letting me slide on the exhaust to which I once again told her that it was not illegal at all. I am pretty sure it has to be loud, not just "looks large".

The moral of the story is I ticked her off and I got a ticket for not having my county/city sticker, which i actually had no idea you needed one. more of a nuisance than anything.
basically anytime a cop wants to pull you over, they will say its for the first questionable thing they notice on your car, at least thats how i feel.

It was funny though cause she was so clueless. She saw the gauges on my car and she was like "what are those for?" and I told her "they are gauges for showing stuff".
she was like "are you sure they arent for NOS or something illegal"
I responded by just shaking my head as I felt a little dumber inside.

So yeah I feel your pain man, sometimes it pays to keep your car looking more stockish.
Not sure where you got pulled over but I do know DC has or is going to adopt Cali's strict exhaust laws.

If it's VA, then any exhaust not stock is illegal according to them.
VA Exhaust Law

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a motor vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
So any decibel over stock is a ticket is pretty much what it boils down to.

LOL, Next Case, gonna start my own version of "The People's Court" in NELOC...
Old 03-30-09, 02:39 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously, it's easy to bash the cops but we all know when we modify our cars from stock there's a chance it may be illegal. It's on you to know whether your mods are legal or not legal. So you can't be mad at the cops when they do their job and pull you over.... You've given them the reason. So that whole argument of "They should be going after drug dealers or murderers" is pointless because they do (they have Narcotics and Homicide Units for that), but the traffic enforcement group is going to go after violators (US). If tickets bother you that much, then is your mod really worth it?

Their job is to give tickets to violators, our job is to figure out a way to beat it or pay it and move on...
Old 03-30-09, 03:46 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Seriously, it's easy to bash the cops but we all know when we modify our cars from stock there's a chance it may be illegal. It's on you to know whether your mods are legal or not legal. So you can't be mad at the cops when they do their job and pull you over.... You've given them the reason. So that whole argument of "They should be going after drug dealers or murderers" is pointless because they do (they have Narcotics and Homicide Units for that), but the traffic enforcement group is going to go after violators (US). If tickets bother you that much, then is your mod really worth it?

Their job is to give tickets to violators, our job is to figure out a way to beat it or pay it and move on...

your point is well taken on the exhaust aspect of my tickets. but the tint one is a bogus ticket. i am legal for the state that i am registered in and a resident in. so he shouldnt have given me a ticket for passing through va.

its perposterous for a state to expect you to remove your tint which is legal in your own state just so you can travel through their state because it doesnt meet their standards.

the first va trooper to pull me over for my tint agreed that the laws were written wrong and dont make sense.

the whole ticketing started by him picking out my tint as a so called violation of va tint laws then proceeded to add on another violation that he wasnt aware of till after he had pulled me over.
Old 03-30-09, 04:09 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Judge Cliff pretty much summed it up, pretty much goes back to the fact that you have a VA. license, thus declaring residence of that state. Once you do that, as far as they are concerned, yo are liable for understanding the laws of that state. Fact that your car is legal in Texas, registered in Texas is one thing, however you declared residence, via drivers license, in VA. so you are now subject to the states rules there. VA, like PA, is a commonwealth state so they laws are a little different. As you are now learning, VA is VERY STRICT on exhaust law (particularly aftermarket) and tint laws(even though Fairfax County PD rides around with LIMO tint on all windows).
Old 03-30-09, 04:41 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

To quote a famous rap song... "They see me rolling, they hating..."

Before I moved to this area, I got pulled over by fairfax's police, they were pulling over all the imports coming out of HIN, at Dulles expo center, and got me for illegal exhaust on my orange eclipse turbo.. Most cops in Virginia don't care about exhausts, I drove around all over central VA without a problem, but again technicly ALL aftermarket exhausts are illegal in VA.

One last crazy pull over when I was driving my eclipse turbo, I got pulled over in a small town, not doing anything wrong, and the cop pulls me over, cause quote, "he wanted to see if I had a driver's liscence" ???- yeah I don't think that will ever happen driving my IS300.

One last question, on I-81 was the place you got pulled over near Stanton? The cops are known for being real jackasses there.

Good luck fighting all the tickets.
Old 03-30-09, 06:10 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
ebrake?filler

Yeah I thought that too but that's just scary, and can't be a good thing to do...
Old 03-30-09, 06:18 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

EDIT: gonna make my own thread

Last edited by llllllllll; 03-30-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 07:50 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BOT:

How'd the exchange go so far? lol
Old 03-31-09, 06:39 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanna swap tags ?

I have a black 91 with an RMM 3pc rear spoiler, tinted and a stock exhaust.

I'm in Fairfax and could swing by your shop to have the pics taken ... I'm usually pro-police provided they're doing REAL policework in this case the popo was just trying to generate income for the state of MD and profiling you !

EFF EM.

Call me, swap tags, take pics, eff those tickets !

Dave
Old 03-31-09, 11:23 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BossGS4
I have a black 91 with an RMM 3pc rear spoiler, tinted and a stock exhaust.

I'm in Fairfax and could swing by your shop to have the pics taken ... I'm usually pro-police provided they're doing REAL policework in this case the popo was just trying to generate income for the state of MD and profiling you !

EFF EM.

Call me, swap tags, take pics, eff those tickets !

Dave
thanks for the offer dave, but I have a 2gs I think they will spot the difference of the bat with your 91. =)
Old 03-31-09, 02:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not sure where you got pulled over but I do know DC has or is going to adopt Cali's strict exhaust laws.

If it's VA, then any exhaust not stock is illegal according to them.
VA Exhaust Law

So any decibel over stock is a ticket is pretty much what it boils down to.

LOL, Next Case, gonna start my own version of "The People's Court" in NELOC...
wow, that is very enlightening, thanks for showing me that.
won't argue next time i guess